MTG thread

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
A handful of things in those old games are sometimes worth something.

Shadowfist was a fun game. Never paid money for cards but always liked building decks out of boxes of junk I'd find.

Xalara

Golden Squire
M15 is interesting. Hexproof and Constellation got hosed pretty hard with the printing of Back to Nature. Renounce the Guilds might become required sideboard tech should slivers become popular as well. Jeff Hoogland is trying to brew a sliver Chord of Calling deck but even he acknowledged that it is quite possible that it is still terrible.

I am a bit more excited about the existence of Aether Spouts since it means bant now has a board wipe that doesn't kill its own dudes.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure how many green decks really want to play Back to Nature without hurting themselves. It's not that big of a deal.

Also all the non-green decks still don't have access to that answer.

Xalara

Golden Squire
I would gladly trade my Courser of Kruphix for their entire field. That said, it is a sideboard card and if it isn't in sideboards co stellation/hexproof can surge back. Much like red sligh made a bug splash at the SCG Invitational since no one had the side boards for it.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Fun day at Modern Grand Prix Trial. Watching people go from laughing/shaking their head when you put Wildfire Emissary into play, to the visible increase in frustration in their face when the bastard doesn't die, to the "god, I just lost to an imaginary deck" face when it actually kills them. So many post-match conversations of opponents and their friends "What do I even sideboard in this match-up?" "This is a match-up?"

Too bad I ran into B/W Tokens in top 4 and just got rolled
smile.png

Looking forward to the M15 Pre-releases next week.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just discard and removal. Black/Red. Not a fabulous deck, but a ton of fun to play, and chews through combo decks [except R/G Tron, since their top-deck mode is godly] with ease. Loses badly to Token decks, since you can't really 1-for-1 them, and if they discard Lingering Souls your heart just aches. Definitely helped out this season that most people dropped sideboard leyline of sanctity after the summary execution of eggs last year. Crusader and Emissary look like anti-synergy, but you're honestly just looking for extremely hard to kill creatures in those colors, and those two fit the bill. Also, people tend to get really loose with their life totals against "infect." Inquisitions over Thoughtseizes, and lack of Liliana, is mostly due to it being a grinder. You stress them until they're out of threats, then drop your hard-to-handle critter and start applying pressure. You tend to lose a lot of life to your opponent's shenanigans in the process, and your only source of positive card advantage (the Read the Bones/Night's Whispers) costs life. Also, the Pike is generally just a surprise tactic. I tend to side 1-2 of them out if I draw it and play it in game 1, since seeing it tends to make people bring in graveyard removal.

Artifacts: 2
2 Runechanter's Pike
Creatures: 6
4 Phyrexian Crusader
2 Wildfire Emissary
Enchantments:
Instants: 14
2 Devour Flesh
4 Funeral Charm
2 Hero's Downfall
3 Lightning Bolt
3 Terminate
Sorceries: 16
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Raven's Crime
4 Read the Bones
1 Thoughtseize
4 Wrench Mind
Lands: 22
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Blood Crypt
4 Inkmoth Nexus
4 Marsh Flats
5 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Sideboard: 15
1 Devour Flesh
1 Hero's Downfall
3 Pyroclasm
4 Rakdos Charm
2 Ratchet Bomb
4 Vampire Nighthawk

Just a derpy little deck for a Grand Prix Trial for a Grand Prix I wouldn't actually go to
smile.png

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I didn't even know Wildfire Emissary was modern legal, but that's pretty cool. He was a real creature back in his heyday, and I could see him being pretty strong given the removal in the format even if he's a little below rate now. He won't die to Bolt, Path, Decay or Terminate. Dismember and Maelstrom Pulse get him, but that's not the worst thing ever.

Also, FUCK Tron. I hate that deck so goddamn much. It's the annoying boss timer of modern.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Emissary also has that sick as shit RKF art. Brb, making Dakkon Blackblade commander deck.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
30 Hours of pre-release rounds in 48 hours.
103 packs obtained.

Summary: Generator Servant is my favorite card. Souls are stupid. Spirit Bomb, err, Bonds, is silly. Fun format overall though. Won a top 8 draft by grabbing 4 ornithopters, a sacred armory, a tyrant's machine, 2 heliod's aura-fetcher and 5 ensoul artifact. 30 Hours of sealed is too much sealed for one 48 hour period.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Reminder for anyone considering MTGO at all - any accounts that have been logged in before the downtime on July 16th INCLUDING BRAND NEW ACCOUNTS SET UP FOR $10 will receive 35 phantom points usable towards a number of events including a few that offer "real" digital cards (rather than the phantom).

Counting the tix the new accounts already come with - that's effectively paying $5 for a M15 Sealed event if you use them that way, and there's other ways you can use the 35 phantom points as well.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I strongly suggest playing some limited events on the new/now only/one-true-client client and aggressively filing for reimbursement on any bugs/crashes you experience. I got 2 VMA events out of 5 refunded in the past 2 days, one for a client freeze during drafting and another because it told me I couldn't submit my deck and had to restart and rebuild my deck with only 40 seconds to spare. Customer service is being very lenient and basically giving out blanket refunds for all bugs.

Vaclav

I strongly suggest playing some limited events on the new/now only/one-true-client client and aggressively filing for reimbursement on any bugs/crashes you experience. I got 2 VMA events out of 5 refunded in the past 2 days, one for a client freeze during drafting and another because it told me I couldn't submit my deck and had to restart and rebuild my deck with only 40 seconds to spare. Customer service is being very lenient and basically giving out blanket refunds for all bugs.
I can somewhat confirm this, even "non-bugs" can do it after all - I made a stupid misplay last night because of the UI differences and got a reimbursement after filling one out complaining about it. Hah.

symbelmyne_sl

shitlord
V4 of MTGO is a piece of shit. what a debacle. even if they squashed the bugs the UI is just a pain in the ass. how could they fuck up this cash cow.

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
V4 of MTGO is a piece of shit. what a debacle. even if they squashed the bugs the UI is just a pain in the ass. how could they fuck up this cash cow.
It's an all-time unbelievable head scratcher. The only thing I can some up with are conspiracy theories. Someone has a job because they're sucking cock/family. All I can make of it.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
The other famous black helicopter theory is that they want it to be a poor experience so they don't lose paper cards entirely. Like somehow if the UI worked suddenly everyone would stop playing with real cards.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The new client is based on a framework they can actually adapt and improve, where the old one wasn't. There's a much better chance that V4 will get better than V3 ever getting any better.

That said, right now it's a piece of shit and you'd think they'd have been further along after all this time, and definitely before forcing it down peoples throats.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

If you have a MTGO account that's been active at all since 2008, you now have 35 free phantom points and free prerelease tokens that can be used to enter 1 m15 prerelease totally free. And you get to keep the cards you open + whatever prizes you win.

Vaclav

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

If you have a MTGO account that's been active at all since 2008, you now have 35 free phantom points and free prerelease tokens that can be used to enter 1 m15 prerelease totally free. And you get to keep the cards you open + whatever prizes you win.
Good time to have 6 accounts~

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I have 7 accounts but I spent 2 accounts worth of tix cubing. Won 4 single elim queues, drafted some sick decks. This was my masterpiece:

rrr_img_72020.jpg

That's right, 3 Swords and 3 Armageddons.