Must Have Android Apps

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
I have been having fun playing Kingdom Rush Frontiers. It's a tower defense game that has been out on IOS for a while but just came out on Android. First time I have really wished I had a tablet.
I just did a search for this in the Google store and all that came up were the Kingdom Rush Frontiers "cheats/strategies/spam" apps. I have a Samsung S2. Is my phone to old to play it or what?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just did a search for this in the Google store and all that came up were the Kingdom Rush Frontiers "cheats/strategies/spam" apps. I have a Samsung S2. Is my phone to old to play it or what?
Sounds like it.Check hereand right under where it says Buy and Add to Wishlist it will say whether you can install it on any of your devices(as long as you are signed in to the Google account they are on).

Tons of shit isn't compatible with my stupid Nook Tablet.

EmiliaEQ_sl

shitlord
I useN7playerfor music
I have not seen a single music player that provides me with the folder view the 2.3.3 default player does via the "Folder" menu.
Being able to scroll down folder by folder just by clicking on them (without entering) and seeing the content is just too convenient to give up.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
If you're looking for a sleek weather app check out Nice Weather. It's fantastic.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm screwing around with streaming my music from my NAS to my phone now, but the Synology DS Audio app is slow as fuck. I can set it up via UPnP/DLNA apparently, but have zero experience doing so. Does anyone else do this, and what player/server do you use? Bonus points for an instruction manual. If there were simply an alternative for the DS Audio app I'd prefer that, since it is specifically set up for music, but I haven't found anything but the official app.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
Have you thought about sharing your music out as a directory on your Plex server and just playing music through that?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Have you thought about sharing your music out as a directory on your Plex server and just playing music through that?
Uplod your music to google music. Then you can play your music on your phone from anywhere. Google Music App is also chromecast compatible. I push my music through my phone to my chromecast through my AV Reciever to my speakers.

Google Music is also a free cloud backup of my cherished music collection.

It's Win Win Win.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I've been using Google Music, and used to love it. I have it maxed out at 20k songs or whatever it is, but the last few months it has sounded like absolute ass when streaming it. I get crackling in my speakers from too much treble or something, which I've verified isn't my speakers' fault, and a Google search indicated lots of other people are having the same issues.

And while I certainly can't hear the difference between FLAC and the (I believe) 320kpbs that Google downgrades it to, that negates the backup issue for me because I keep pretty much everything in FLAC.

I've screwed around with the DS Audio app and it actually works flawlessly and fast via wifi here at work, so I'm guessing I had shitty 4G connection or something when trying it in my car. That would probably cause the same exact problem with PLEX, but I might try it out to make sure. The only downside to that would be that, right now, XBMC is installed on my HTPC, which I only turn on when I want to watch TV. I'd have to figure out how to get it permanently on my NAS, or leave the HTPC on constantly, which I'd prefer not to do. I'm just fairly clueless about installing anything that isn't Synology-provided on my NAS.

I'll do some research I guess, and definitely check to see if it was simply a 4G/3G problem originally. If that's the case, the app works well enough to not worry about fucking around with anything else. I wish I could stick with Google Music, but right now it fucking blows for me, even deleted the cache, turned it to high quality, etc. Until they fix their compression algorithm or something, I can't stand listening to it.

Thanks for the advice.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
There is a native Plex server and app for your Synology NAS - if you only use it for your music (instead of worrying about the CPU power for Transcoding 720p and 1080p movies, it'll have enough power).

Plex for Connected Devicesjust click on the NAS button and pick the right one for your processor.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
There is a native Plex server and app for your Synology NAS - if you only use it for your music (instead of worrying about the CPU power for Transcoding 720p and 1080p movies, it'll have enough power).

Plex for Connected Devicesjust click on the NAS button and pick the right one for your processor.
Thanks. Going to take it to PMs now because we're getting off the scope of this thread.

Hekotat

Is there an app that will keep text/messaging/email tones from playing through my car speakers and play through the phone speaker while I'm rocking out? That shit is annoying.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Is there an app that will keep text/messaging/email tones from playing through my car speakers and play through the phone speaker while I'm rocking out? That shit is annoying.
If your phone is connected to your car by bluetooth, go to bluetooth in your settings and hit the options for the connection to your car. You should have 2 checkboxes in there, one labled phone audia, the other being media audio. Uncheck phone audio and you're set, although your music will still get quieter when a notification comes in.

If you're not connecting through bluetooth I'm not sure how to accomplish the same thing.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'll have to try that as well, nothing more annoying than "TEXT MESSAGE FROM XXXX" while listening to something.

Hekotat

If your phone is connected to your car by bluetooth, go to bluetooth in your settings and hit the options for the connection to your car. You should have 2 checkboxes in there, one labled phone audia, the other being media audio. Uncheck phone audio and you're set, although your music will still get quieter when a notification comes in.

If you're not connecting through bluetooth I'm not sure how to accomplish the same thing.
I'm guessing this will also keep me from making calls through my hands-free?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm guessing this will also keep me from making calls through my hands-free?
Correct. With phone audio unchecked, everything that's not designated as media will go through your phone's speakers. I have a bluetooth earpiece that is set to receive phone audio but not media, so all my calls come in through that.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Microsofts RD Client came out a couple weeks ago. If you're using a Windows 8.1 machine, it REALLY is nice on a 10 inch tablet. Highly recommended.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
for those using dogcatcher, i tried it and didn't find it performing as good as beyondpod for podcasts. while dogcatcher is new to me, i don't see a stream function in DC? i have to download and play, with beyondpod i have both options, either download or stream, streaming takes 2seconds and you can even jump around pretty well for a stream, why stream? why not? say you want to jump on the treadmill fast/now and you have to d/l a podcast, depending on your gyms wifi/or your 4/3/G could take a while.

i did find DC's search for podcast feature way better than beyondpod, i don't know how you guys add feeds, i just search for it by keyword, there's no way i'll remember or get the rss feed from the website.

also for reading news sites or anything with feeds, Pulse is great, and has a cool widget too.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Been using Podkicker since then. Seems fine. I never stream shit, just grab a bunch of podcasts over wifi when I need more usually.