Must Have Software

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Thanks.

Can anyone recommend some good computer maintenance software? Is CCleaner worth buying or is there any program out there worth buying to maintain your comp? By maintain I mean cleaning out useless files/registry values/anti virus?

I use the paid version of CCleaner. It’s worth every penny just for the registry cleaning. That keeps windows so snappy.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I posted this question in the parent thread, might get more traction here...

I am looking for an interface to make a Windows PC Kid Friendly. I understand I can do with via Windows 10, but I think there are many flaws with how MS does it. Ideally I would be able to green light certain programs like Steam to give them access to games etc. Any suggestions? Thanks!

jeydax

Death and Taxes
^ Give the kids their own User profile and put the game shortcuts from Steam (and Steam itself) onto the desktop or just pin them to the task bar.

Maybe not the best suggestion but certainly very easy to setup.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Is there any good alternatives to paying for Excel if I need it for work? Or at least getting it cheaper? I'm helping my sister with some accounting shit and she's tracking a bunch of stuff in Excel 2016, I don't really feel like paying for it, although I feel like I might have to

I know I could use google sheets, but all the functionality isn't there and it has some quirks, plus gets slow and crashy with large amounts of shit in it

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Is there any good alternatives to paying for Excel if I need it for work? Or at least getting it cheaper? I'm helping my sister with some accounting shit and she's tracking a bunch of stuff in Excel 2016, I don't really feel like paying for it, although I feel like I might have to

I know I could use google sheets, but all the functionality isn't there and it has some quirks, plus gets slow and crashy with large amounts of shit in it

I got Office 2013 for about $25 over at Marketplace for Microsoft Software • r/microsoftsoftwareswap

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

Some offices will have a personal version you can buy, so you might be able to check with your work about a copy for your home machine (mine had one for like $5).

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm tired of my printer forgetting it's connected to my computer. Doesn't matter what printer; doesn't matter what computer; always seems to happen.
Is there an app to fix this?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Anyone recommend a CCleaner alternative? I don't mind paying a few bucks if it's good/great.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
What’s wrong with CCleaner? That program is a staple in my house. Did it get compromised or just too expensive?

It was briefly compromised a few months ago, there was some spyware or some such that got added to one version. Since Avast bought it a lot of people have also expected it to eventually turn to shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
It was briefly compromised a few months ago, there was some spyware or some such that got added to one version. Since Avast bought it a lot of people have also expected it to eventually turn to shit.

Ya. That is why I am getting away from CCleaner.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I upgraded to win10 and movie maker is gone. How do I replace it, I really only need it to mute audio and crop the video down to relevant parts. Everything I've tried so far suffers so badly from feature overflow I couldn't find what I need

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Movie Maker is part of the windows essential package. Essentials is no longer available for download, that said you might be able to find an archive someplace via google or a torrent etc. Can't say how it would run as it's unsupported now. You might be better off biting the bullet and trying something new. I know nothing about video software but am sure someone here can recommend something simple.

See here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18614/windows-essentials

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Not sure where to post this question. I need some suggestions for audio editing software. Most important thing is it's gotta be good for a fucking luddite like me. Second most important thing is that it's free. But to be honest if I have to pay a small fee for something good I will. I have a new radio in my truck that takes thumb drives, so I want to convert all of my tapes, CDs, and LPs into whatever kind of file the radio needs. (I assume it's MP3 or MP4). I'm guessing the CDs will be easy, I just haven't messed around with them yet. But for the tapes and albums the only way I have to convert them is a record player that will record to a thumb drive. The problem is that for tapes and LPs you wind up with 1 file per side. I'd rather break out the individual songs.

Is there a software package that can automatically detect the breaks in the songs so I don't have to listen to the whole thing?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Not sure where to post this question. I need some suggestions for audio editing software. Most important thing is it's gotta be good for a fucking luddite like me. Second most important thing is that it's free. But to be honest if I have to pay a small fee for something good I will. I have a new radio in my truck that takes thumb drives, so I want to convert all of my tapes, CDs, and LPs into whatever kind of file the radio needs. (I assume it's MP3 or MP4). I'm guessing the CDs will be easy, I just haven't messed around with them yet. But for the tapes and albums the only way I have to convert them is a record player that will record to a thumb drive. The problem is that for tapes and LPs you wind up with 1 file per side. I'd rather break out the individual songs.

Is there a software package that can automatically detect the breaks in the songs so I don't have to listen to the whole thing?

Audacity should fit the bill.

Splitting a recording for export as separate tracks - Audacity Development Manual

• 1Like