NBA : 1992 Dream Team vs. 2012 Dream Team

If it was possible for both teams to be matched up in their prime, who would win?

1992 Olympics US Men's Basketball Roster:

Laettner, Christian - Duke Blue Devils
Robinson, David - San Antonio Spurs
Ewing, Patrick - New York Knicks
Bird, Larry - Boston Celtics
Pippen, Scottie - Chicago Bulls
Jordan, Michael - Chicago Bulls
Drexler, Clyde - Portland Trail Blazers
Malone, Karl - Utah Jazz
Stockton, John - Utah Jazz
Mullin, Chris - Golden State Warriors
Barkley, Charles - Phoenix Suns
Johnson, Magic - Los Angeles Lakers

2012 Olympics US Men's Basketball Roster:

Chandler, Tyson - New York Knicks
Durant, Kevin - Oklahoma City Thunder
James, LeBron - Miami Heat
Westbrook, Russell - Oklahoma City Thunder
Williams, Deron - Brooklyn Nets
Iguodala, Andre - Denver Nuggets
Bryant, Kobe - Los Angeles Lakers
Love, Kevin - Minnesota Timberwolves
Harden, James - Oklahoma City Thunder
Paul, Chris - Los Angeles Clippers
Davis, Anthony - New Orleans Hornets
Anthony, Carmelo - New York Knicks

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
If it was possible for both teams to be matched up in their prime, who would win?

Malone, Karl - Utah Jazz

nope

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

Malone, Karl - Utah Jazz

Every single guy on the 1992 team is a Hall of Famer with exception of Laettner. And Laettner was still in college when he was added to the 1992 team. Someone like Reggie Miller should have had his spot instead.

half the guys on the 2012 team will be lucky to make it to HoF.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Didn't we debate the piss out of this back on FoH?

Anyway, this is the best thing to come out of this argument:
birddreamteamold.jpg

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is this even a serious debate?

PG - Magic Johnson
G - Michael Jordan
F - Larry Bird
F - Charles Barkley/Karl Malone
C - David Robinson

You could easily make a case that 3 of the 5 positions on that team feature the best player in the HISTORY of the sport to play it (Johnson, Jordan, Bird), with the other two positions taken by top 50 all-time/HOFers.

PG - Chris Paul
G - Kobe Bryant
F - LeBron James
F - Kevin Durant
C - who gives a shit

It's better than I thought at first glance. However, Chris Paul vs Magic? David Robinson vs a shit show? Jordan vs the guy that wishes he was Jordan? Bird and whichever legend plays PF hold their own. 1992 takes a shit on 2012.

I'll go out on a limb and say the 1992 team is the best team that will ever be assembled for any high-level competition, period.

A better debate would be the first team of 2012 vs the second team of 1992. Then maybe you have a debate. Too bad 1992 blew a spot on Laettner instead of, say, Olajuwon.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
A better debate would be the first team of 2012 vs the second team of 1992. Then maybe you have a debate. Too bad 1992 blew a spot on Laettner instead of, say, Olajuwon.
Olajuwon was ineligible for the 1992 Dream Team because he was not a US citizen at the time. Isiah Thomas was really the big name that was left off the team.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Olajuwon was ineligible for the 1992 Dream Team because he was not a US citizen at the time. Isiah Thomas was really the big name that was left off the team.
Touche, sir. I did not know that.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
92 team had Stockton and Malone so it can die in a fucking fire. (But it would still win easily.)

Jait

Molten Core Raider
1992 team would win by 40

Barkley would then be asked about his girlfriends "tweet" to which he punched the reporter in the face for talking about his girlfriends pussy. Malone was told they saw a video of him on the internet which he assumed meant someone had found a video of him wearing fishnets and high heels.

etc...

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Bird was mostly a shell of his former self in 1992. He sat out most of the games and practices because of his back; the times he did play took lots of coaxing from fans and others. Not to mention Bird was always terrible against athletic forwards.

Either way, the Dream Team wins 9 out of 10 times imo.

Titan_sl

shitlord
If you played the 5 best on the team for the entire game. I think you would see it come out a bit closer. Once you go into the depth chart, there is no way in hell the 2012 teams holds a candle.

CP3 vs Magic is ALMOST a wash. Obviously Magic has the advantage, but i think it would be a decent position battle.
Kobe vs Jordan. Lets be realistic here, and I HATE Kobe. But they are fucking just a like. Both in their Prime is still almost a wash. Kobe is going to go down as one of the top 10 players of all time. Just because Jordan goes down as the best(Or one of the top 3 dependent on who you ask. The "Laughable" Disparity, realistically, is not there)
LeBron/Durant vs Bird/Malone/Barkley... I think the KD/LeBron matchup is better than anything that the 92' Dreamteam could field at the forward spots, especially considering Durant isn't even in his prime yet, so we have no idea what ridiculous numbers he COULD put up. But I would hand this to the 2012 team(If only 2 of them can play, like I said, we're not getting into Depth here. Just straight 48 minutes of Basketball)
David Robinson vs Kevin Love/Tyson Chandler... Lol, the only way the 2012 even can wipe its ass in the same bathroom is if they pick and pop and Robinson follows every time. Aside from that, no way in hell do they stand a chance.

By my calculations it really is 92 with 2 better positions, and 2012 with 2 better positions, and 1 thats roughly equal. 92 have an advantage as far as PG/Center go, which is why they probably win 6/10 games, but the disparity is really not that great. LeBron could guard every one of them aside from Robinson on D, but the size on that 92' Team is pretty incredible, which the 2012 team lacks.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Crazy talk. Let's see 2012 team play ball like they did in 1992 with players hand checking and mauling each other

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
By my calculations it really is 92 with 2 better positions, and 2012 with 2 better positions, and 1 thats roughly equal. 92 have an advantage as far as PG/Center go, which is why they probably win 6/10 games, but the disparity is really not that great. LeBron could guard every one of them aside from Robinson on D, but the size on that 92' Team is pretty incredible, which the 2012 team lacks.
You're either crazy or you're 15.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
MJ and Kobe wouldn't be a wash. Kobe would probably end up catching the "flu" by halftime and that would be his night. If we're talking about just the '92 version here, and not their primes, then Scottie is at the 3 while Bird is on the bench, and they would just sick Scottie on CP3, he'd extend his arms, and no passes would be made. Barkley and Malone would definitely be on the floor at the same time early so they could chop block LBJ, ending his career while Gaige got arrested in the cheap seats for groping a 14 year old.

I don't even need to get into the "battle" at Center. '92 wins 9 out of 10 times, with the 1 time being when MJ and Barkley were out gambling.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, 20 years ago centers actually scored points instead of just standing around and setting screens . 2012 team wouldn't even know how to defend against Robinson. He is like 1 of the only 5 players in history to score a quadruple double

Szlia

In a team sport where the statistical data is dependent on the opponents and there is close to no evolution in hardware (as opposed to racket sports for instance), I feel it is extremely difficult to compare different eras. Throw rule changes in the mix and it's really a pure speculation game. As a general sporting rule though, 20 years of additional knowledge in training, diet and psychology yields better athletes overall (though it might have a lesser effect on the performance of exceptional athletes).

EDIT: I wonder if there are some fanatics that go over NBA archives to derive statistics that are a little more universal, like the total distance ran during the match.