NBA : 1992 Dream Team vs. 2012 Dream Team

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Layman questions: How fast were these '92 big men? And am I wrong to assume the game is faster now than it was 20 years ago?
Honestly the only player on the 92 team that I think might have some trouble adapting to the modern NBA is Ewing and even he had a mid range game so it might not even be that bad. He was a plodder though. The Admiral was athletic as fuck and would have no issues.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Your underrating of Pippen is insane. Dude was probably the 2nd best player in the NBA for a half decade.
Seriously. Knocks on Scottie bug me. Dude won 55 games as the only player on the team after Jordan's first retirement.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That's sadly what happens when you play int eh shadow of the greatest player to ever step onto the court.

But yes, Scottie is vastly underrated almost everytime he's talked about.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
That's sadly what happens when you play int eh shadow of the greatest player to ever step onto the court.

But yes, Scottie is vastly underrated almost everytime he's talked about.
Vastly indeed. Everyone remembers how good Jordan's Bulls were on offense, but Jordan and Pippen were both top-notch defenders as well. They have 17 NBA All-Defensive First Team selections between them. Scottie has another two 2nd team selections.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I always hated the Bulls during that era, but I definitely have to give credit where credit is due, and I'd take Scottie Pippen in '92 on any single team I was building, even if I had 4 other guys already playing his position. Hell, he could reasonably play just about every position if I really needed him to, including center.

As to the OP, '92 wins easily whether you play just best 5, everyone, one game, 7-game series, whatever. '92 has at least a slight edge in every single position, if not a dominant edge in some, and when every single position can outscore and out-defend the opponent, it opens up so many different ways to win. '12 team would have to have a specific, definite game plan to even have a chance, and then all the '92 team would have to do is switch someone else over to negate that advantage. Unless most of them died on the way to the game, the '92 team wins almost every game no matter how you slice it.

Back to Pippen...I love Charles Barkley, and one of my favorite moments was when he said Pippen looked like the Olympic mascot because he's "not a handsome man." Can't find a clip of it, but I'm sure many old enough remember it.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
1992 on paper is more impressive but some of those dudes were past their prime too or not in it yet. However, one player was in his prime around this time, Michael Jordan, so that's enough. James, CP3 and Bryant's supporting cast isn't strong enough for that. James is so much more athletic than anyone on either team though that it could be interesting

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
1992 had MJ. MJ could beat the entire 2012 team by himself, at age 50. It is blasphemy to think otherwise.

Passenger_sl

shitlord
If MJ is so good at 50 why was he garbage in Washington at 40?
He wasn't. He was still scoring 20+ points a game and the majority of his other numbers closely averaged what he was doing in Chicago. The only number that was off was his 3 point shot. Still fairly impressive considering he took a 3-4 year break.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
He wasn't. He was still scoring 20+ points a game and the majority of his other numbers closely averaged what he was doing in Chicago. The only number that was off was his 3 point shot. Still fairly impressive considering he took a 3-4 year break.
How many titles did the Wizards win? How many playoff games? 20+ for Jordan is garbage, like I said. The dude was a 30ppg+ machine his entire career. His other numbers were close but that is because his other numbers were never that good because his primary role was scoring. It's not like we're talking about a guy who put up 30/8/8. Stackhouse averaged 21.5 in the 02-03 season. Jordan ended the 01-02 season on injured reserve lol. So if he couldn't play 82 games 10 years ago what makes people think he could hold up any better now?

I love Jordan, but let's be realistic. The Wizard's version of him would get decimated by the 2012 US Olympic team, let alone MJ now.

I agree though in 92 Jordan could probably beat the 12 team by himself a few games out of a series, but the dude is old now.

Still fairly impressive considering he took a 3-4 year break.
He retired in 99 and came out of retirement in 01 to play for Washington btw.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'd probably give it to 92 just because of Jordan, but I think it's a lot closer than most people think. By position:

-Paul vs Magic is a good matchup, but if you're going by the teams at the time Paul is in his prime vs an out of basketball Magic. And lets be honest, Magic was a revolving door on defense at his best. I'd probably call it a wash strictly due to Magic's size, but I wouldn't be shocked if Chris Paul ate him alive offensively.

-Jordan vs Kobe. No contest, in his prime Jordan wipes the floor with 2012 Kobe. Would have been more interesting if Kobe was in his prime, but right now there's no way he stays in front of Jordan

-Lebron/Durant vs Barkely/Malone. I'd give this to 2012, I think people are underestimating just how athletic those two are, and just how strong Lebron is. Before someone lectures me on Barkley I've been a Sixers fan since I was born, the Chuckster is still my favorite player of all time. A Lebron/Barkley matchup would probably be the most fun matchup to watch in this hypothetical game, but you can't get past the raw physical tools Lebron has. He's just as strong as Barkley, 4 inches taller, and much faster. Durant vs Malone, I don't see how Malone stays with Durant on the defensive end. On the other side I honestly remember Malone more for his pick and pop game, I can't recall what kind of post-up game he had. Physically he could obviously bully Durant, but I'd imagine Durant has the length to make him work.

-Robinson/Chandler?. Lol, no contest

As laughable as it sounds, I'd like the 2012 team's chances more if they had a different shooting guard. 2012 Kobe still thinks he's 2002 Kobe, no way he doesn't go hero ball in that game. Put someone like Iguodala in there who doesn't need touches offensively and can make Jordan work, then run the offense through Paul and the forwards.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Really boils down to if you pick against Jordan in his prime you should be banned from discussing sports.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Fine...let's take Jordan off that team and now Drexler is starting. '92 still wins.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's not an outrageous statement. The 2012 team is unquestionably more athletic over all, considering how old some of the 92 team was. The counter-point to that has always been 'They had Jordan', remove him from the equation and it's interesting. With no Jordan it's not unreasonable to say in-his-prime-Lebron is the best player on the floor, and as is often the case the team with the best player wins in a 7 game series.

Regardless it would be fun to watch.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Even without Jordan the rest of the match ups are so lopsided it;s silly to consider it. Series goes 5 games.....MAYBE 6.

Origin

Molten Core Raider
It's not an outrageous statement. The 2012 team is unquestionably more athletic over all,considering how old some of the 92 team was. The counter-point to that has always been 'They had Jordan', remove him from the equation and it's interesting. With no Jordan it's not unreasonable to say in-his-prime-Lebron is the best player on the floor, and as is often the case the team with the best player wins in a 7 game series.

Regardless it would be fun to watch.
For your reference:

Bird 36
Magic 33
Drexler 30
Ewing 30
Stockton 30
Barkley 29
Jordan 29
Malone 29
Mullin 29
Pippen 27
Robinson 27
Laettner 23

So, with the exception of Bird, the remainder of the team was either in their late 20s or early 30s. I would say that this is easily the physical prime of any athlete.