NBA 2013?14 Season

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Saying you're a stats guy then using straight field goal percentages as the basis of all your results...Not even Gaige is that fucking retarded. Carry on.
So what do you want to compare? EFG%? TS%? I promise you the guy shooting 49% from the field is going to top the guy shooting 43% in all of these. And that just happens to be the case.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Fg % by itself doesn't mean a whole lot and shows a complete lack of understanding about the basic fundamentals of basketball.

If someone makes 99% of his shots then that's great. If he only dunks the ball and never shoots jump shots then he's not shooting very often and his 6 ppg doesn't do shit for you. Players who score in the post almost always shoot a very high % because the shots are easier but you just don't get the same opportunities to make your own shots like perimeter players. That's why Shaq and Lebron can shoot such high percentage but average <30 ppg. They'd be average 45 a game if it was as simple as whoever shoots the highest % is the best.

36ppg on 45% shooting for a guard is crazy good and if anybody in the NBA could be doing that right now they would.
Agree with all of this. How do those comments apply when comparing Wade to Kobe?

Listen man. It's very easy to see Wade as a more efficient scorer considering how similar their scoring statistics are. Crazy thing here is Wade puts those numbers up on less shots. OH MY FUCKING GOD WHAT CRAZY LOGIC AM I USING HERE? Could it be possibly true that its better to score 25 points on 18 shots than it is to score 25 points on 20 shots? Of course not. What the fuck was I thinking.

Beef

Silver Knight of the Realm
Kobe and Wade are close offensively when Wade is healthy (lol) but Kobe was a superior man defender.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I challenge anyone to argue that Kobe is better than Wade statistically. And beyond that I challenger you to not just say "he is" without any backup. The counters to this argument so far have been "FG% is a dumb metric" and "lol you're stupid". Real classy guys.

Look at the fucking stats. They speak for themselves.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Couple things. I hate the way Wade gets that extra free throw. And it's not just that one extra free throw, it's a lot of the free throws he gets. He's always been that player trying to run into defenders in order to get refs to bail him out and put him on the line. I'm not saying Kobe never tries to get to the line, but he takes fewer shots than Wade where he has no intention of actually making a shot but of only getting to the FT line. I'm not arguing about effectiveness in that aspect, cause getting to the FT line is obviously the most effective thing you can do in basketball, but it's not how the game should be played to me.

That said, in terms of stats- Wade doesn't shoot 3's. Career 3-point % of less than 30 (which is putrid for a two guard in this day of basketball), and he takes less than half as many as Kobe does. So of course that's going to help his overall shooting %. Kobe's 3P% isn't spectacular at 33-34, but it's respectable enough. That's a part of the reason for the FG% disparity. Wade shoots a few% higher on 2's, Kobe shoots about 5% higher on 3's, which is about a wash to me. Kobe also shoots FT's significantly better over his career than Wade does. 7% is a big difference on FT's. Personally, I'll take the guy who has a better chance to stick a 3 or hit that free throw when he does make it to the line because of how big both are at the end of games. On the flipside, refs should not be as willing to bail Wade out at the end of games for creating contact so his higher FT attempts won't translate as well in crunch time as the higher 3P / FT % of Kobe will.

And yes, when comparing careers Kobe's longevity vs. Wade's can't be overstated. Including playoffs, one guy has played 53000 minutes and the other has played 30000. Wade will bridge the gap some because he should play a few more seasons after Kobe retires, but it probably won't be all that much considering his playstyle and all his physical issues.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah that's all good analysis, but Kobe would have to shoot better than 33% behind the arc to justify the overall drop in shooting percentage.

Like eFG% isn't anything crazy. All it does is account for the extra point you get from behind the arc ((FG + 0.5 * 3P) / FGA). TS% is the same thing too except it factors in free throws. Wade has higher career averages for both of those stats. Essentially saying that Kobe isn't scoring better despite having a better outside shot.

Wade's injury history is the best argument anyone has against my claim. And to be honest if you want to point to that I probably even concede. Wade is better when he plays though. You can not like how hes getting his points all you want he's still getting them.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
You're cherry picking stats first of all. Kobe's first two years he was a teenager taken from high school and wasn't even a starter. Including those and omitting his last few years where has stayed consistently high brings his scoring down and is misleading. He's much closer to 28ppg for his career.

You also can't ignore Wade's huge dropoff the last couple years while Kobe's stayed consistently high.

Then there's defense where blocks and steals only tell a very small part of the story.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Wade has had no such drop off. He remains elite when he plays. The injury concerns are legit. Kobe took 16 shots a game his second year in the league. Omit however many years you want. Wade is and has been a more efficient scorer.

The site i used to go to for on/off court stats doesn't exist anymore but that's typically the "stats" method I'd judge defense with. However, I'm by no means denying Kobe's defensive ability and certainly earlier in his career he was one of the best wing defenders in the league. The all defensive teams were no lie. But Wade has been pretty highly regarded on that end of the floor his whole career too. And then again the stats don't lie too. Steals, blocks, rebounds. These are all part of defense. I think its a wash on that side of the ball.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Indeed, fuck that pussy ass bitch.

In other news, Kobe out another 6 weeks with fracture to left knee - great timing, ha.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Anyway we can move on. Agree to disagree dudes.

So nice to see the Wolves beat Portland last night. Not nice seeing them almost blow a 30 point lead. This was supposed to be a shoe in playoff year but who saw Portland (wtf?) as well as Pheonix and Denver playing so well. Those are three teams I expected us to be above in the standings. Golden State is at the same spot we are. I expected to be battling with them for playoff seeding. Now its looking like we might just miss out entirely again.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Wade averaged 21 ppg last year and is averaging 19.9 this year. That's a huge dropoff from the his prime. Kobe averaged 27ppg last year and 28 the year before.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Wade averaged 21 ppg last year and is averaging 19.9 this year. That's a huge dropoff from the his prime. Kobe averaged 27ppg last year and 28 the year before.
Wade plays with LeBron and Bosh. He chose to score less in order to win rings. He takes less shots. He wasn't like Kobe running Shaq out of town so he could score 81 and not make the playoffs.

PS: Wade scored 32 last night.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
First, the Lakers made the playoffs the year Kobe had the 81 point game.

Second, Gaige is the only one that agrees with the ridiculousness of Wade being better.

So let's just move on

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
I don't think Wade is better than Kobe necessarily, in fact I dislike them both. Jordan is the best 2 guard ever so this discussion, at best, is about who is second best - aka no one gives a fuck.

The point is that they're both faggots.

First, the Lakers made the playoffs the year Kobe had the 81 point game.
Did you notice how I said score 81andnot make the playoffs. I didn't say score 81while notmaking the playoffs. No one said it happened in the same season, I was saying that was the shit he was doing after he ran Shaq out of town. Some years he scored 81 some years he didn't even make the playoffs. Instead of being in the Finals every single year with Shaq which is what would've happened because Kobe has not and will not be ever able to lead a team to the Finals on his own.

FUCK SHAQ I WANT TO BE THE MAN OKAY NOW I'M THE MAN AND WE CAN'T WIN IT ALL FUCKING TRADE ME I WANT OUT OH WAIT WE GOT GIFT WRAPPED GASOL NEVER MIND I'M A LAKER FOR LIFE OH YA BABY OH FUCK WE CAN'T WIN IT WITH ME AND GASOL YOU BETTER GET ME SOMEONE ELSE OH SHIT AWESOME WE GOT DWIGHT UH WE'RE LOSING OH SHIT FIRE MIKE BROWN OH SHIT HIRE D'ANTONI I LOVE HIM OH SHIT WE'RE STILL LOSING OH FUCK HOWARD IS LEAVING OH SHIT I'M INJURED, OH SHIT I'M INJURED AGAIN.

Etc.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Shaq was a problem on every team he played for. He left Orlando, LA, Miami, Cleveland, and Phoenix all on bad terms. It's been accepted by most people in the last couple of years that Shaq was the one to blame for the Lakers kicking him to the curb

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Shaq was a problem to the tune of 3 rings. I also think comparing LA Shaq to Miami, Phoenix and Boston Shaq is silly.

It's been accepted by most people in the last couple of years that Shaq was the one to blame for the Lakers kicking him to the curb
I'll side with Phil Jackson on this one. The greatest coach ever who absolutely hates Kobe Bryant.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Jackson has 11.

Shaq left because Jackson left because Jackson no longer wanted to coach Bryant. The Lakers were making moves designed to placate Bryant and because of that ruined a championship team that would've made the Finals a few more years at least.