NBA 2013?14 Season

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
All of you idiots saying Durant is better than LeBron are retarded. Durant gets overran on his own fucking team by Westbrook. The ONLY reason Durant got MVP this year is because Westbrook was hurt. Period. He didn't even really deserve it but I could give a fuck because LeBron coasted all season. Now that the playoffs are here we're seeing the real Durant and we're about to see the real LeBron. I suppose LeBron will just have to settle for another Finals MVP.

Also any of you that come here and say that you wouldn't be talking mad shit if LeBron just played the last 8 games that KD did, you're liars. You'd be on him like First Take is on him. That's what pisses me off. Quit giving KD passes you wouldn't give LeBron.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Kevin Love is really good. Maybe the best big in the league.

All my friends called me crazy when I said Chris Paul is the best player on the Clippers. Everyone is so hard for Griffin. I don't get it.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
You aren't capturing any defensive stats are you? Love is amazing on offense and useless on defense, which would explain the numbers.
I am, but blocks and steals aren't going to influence the numbers as much because players don't rack up as many of them as rebounds, assists, and points. I could adjust the modifier further than I already have, but I have to make sure it makes sense if I do. Even those don't really measure defensive impact well...I could add charges taken probably, but I doubt that would change this much either.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Defense is tough to judge based on just numbers alone. Blocks and steals are good, but if you're covering your man well enough they won't even attempt the shot and on half the steals the ball was poked out by someone else. There's opponents scoring +/- their average but that doesn't factor in defensive switches, free throws, fast breaks, etc.

There's a degree of that on offense as well, it just seems to be much more so on defense. You really need to watch a player for a while to get a good indication on their defense for most players.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, which is why I'm probably not going to worry about it. I'll think about my modifiers for offensive rebounds, steals, and blocks again...as well as maybe adding charges, but I might just conclude that Love had an amazing season that was mostly overlooked because they finished in the lottery.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Also, the best defensive rebounder in the league isn't a bad defender. Ending opponents possessions is a good skill. Love has athletic issues on defense and will never provide any sort of help vertically. He has ok footwork and can body up some of the less athletic guys to some extent, but he is not a great defender in the traditional sense by any means.

RAPM shows Love as a + on defense. Obviously that stat is heavily influenced by his teammates (and played heavy minutes with Rubio probably helps this a lot) but we're talking over 8500 possessions here. That's a pretty huge sample size for his team to be a net + defensively with him on the court to just dismiss his defensive abilities as "useless."

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, which is why I'm probably not going to worry about it. I'll think about my modifiers for offensive rebounds, steals, and blocks again...as well as maybe adding charges, but I might just conclude that Love had an amazing season that was mostly overlooked because they finished in the lottery.
Run the numbers from 2010 to 2012. This was his best season for sure but it's not an anomaly. He followed a very normal progression after getting starting minutes here in MN.

But, in truth he doesn't have a ton of help here. We have a decent starting group but one of the worst 2nd units in the league. We're also absolutely atrocious in the 4th quarter. We put up decent stats over the course of a game compared to the rest of the league, but were honestly just god awful at finishing. At one point we were 0-11 this year in games decided by 2 possessions or less and that was in January.

Love will be gone after this next season and I'll get to watch the 2nd franchise corner stone leave only to have more success elsewhere (assuming). I can't really blame him. We don't have much upside with long term salary tied up in Pek/Martin/Brewer/Buddinger and the need to extend Rubio. Only bright side was the play of Dieng at the end of the year.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
You're going to have to explain this because I don't even know how that's possible.
Because I watch a shitton of basketball and every analyst is on his nuts like he's mid 90s Gary Payton or Isaiah. Yet when I watch him, he never has that kind of impact. I mean he's obviously good, but he's not half the athlete GP was, he's not an elite defender, and he's never taken over a playoff series. I have just never watched him and thought "Oooh, there's a transcendent player".

And yes, Adam's right, part of it is probably seeing less of him than others. But it's not like I haven't seen CP3 games. He just kind of gets his 20-10 and they win or lose. Even Deron Williams when he was actually good seemed to impose his will on the game more than CP did. Maybe it's a stylistic thing.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
All of you idiots saying Durant is better than LeBron are retarded. Durant gets overran on his own fucking team by Westbrook. The ONLY reason Durant got MVP this year is because Westbrook was hurt. Period. He didn't even really deserve it but I could give a fuck because LeBron coasted all season. Now that the playoffs are here we're seeing the real Durant and we're about to see the real LeBron. I suppose LeBron will just have to settle for another Finals MVP.

Also any of you that come here and say that you wouldn't be talking mad shit if LeBron just played the last 8 games that KD did, you're liars. You'd be on him like First Take is on him. That's what pisses me off. Quit giving KD passes you wouldn't give LeBron.
Haha, you are such a LeBron cock slobbing faggot. Guys are in here posting and having a civil conversation about the best players in the league (with LeBron in that discussion), and you bang down the door with your next LeBron tirade. I can 100% guarantee you that if it didn't rustle your jimmies so much, there would be FAR less LeBron hate around here. People don't hate LeBron, they hate your crazy, irrational love for him.

The reality is LeBron has a very good chance of getting another ring this year, and if it wasn't for your constant nuthugging, some people may even be happy for him. But you are such an annoying little prick that it makes it much easier to cheer against LeBron.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To capture defense you are better off adding advanced defensive stats to your formulas that overvaluing steals and blocks. Things like FG% against are more meaningful.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
To capture defense you are better off adding advanced defensive stats to your formulas that overvaluing steals and blocks.Things like FG% against are more meaningful.
This. One of the most important defensive stats. It doesn't happen as often, but is there a stat that keeps track of number of shots the offensive player takes in the final five seconds of the shot clock or something? Defending until the offensive player just has to jack a shot?

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Do you think Chris Paul gets a lot of press? I mean, he's a superstar, so he's going to get some, but I don't think he's talked about anywhere near as much as his contemporaries. My shock to that comment mostly is just because of how good he is. He's the 3rd best player in the league in a tier of 3 elite players.

He's been the best player on 6 playoff teams. And he's legitimately carried all of them. He should be in the discussion with Durant and LeBron every year.
All I was saying is that he gets press but a lot of people (I was lumping Elurin in with this group) don't really watch him play for various reasons. That's how "overhyped" situations tend to pop up. I think he's awesome, and I wasn't arguing against that.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
All I was saying is that he gets press but a lot of people (I was lumping Elurin in with this group) don't really watch him play for various reasons. That's how "overhyped" situations tend to pop up. I think he's awesome, and I wasn't arguing against that.
Yeah I understand. It was just shocking to me because, if anything, I think he's underrated in that while you certainly hear people speak of him along other all stars, you rarely hear anyone mention him in the top tier, Durant/LeBron level that I think he deserves.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Mama there goes that man....

Word that Mark Jackson is getting canned at this very moment. Some of the players liked him a lot, but overall he's simply not a good coach or decision maker and I'm excited to see who they replace him with.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
He won't last that long...there's a lot of people giving him credit for the team increasing in wins each of the last 3 seasons, so he'll get a job fast.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Mark Jackson did a great job of turning around the culture and bringing a defensive identity to the team, but that could also be the work of the newer ownership. Jackson just has too many deficiencies to overlook.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Run the numbers from 2010 to 2012. This was his best season for sure but it's not an anomaly. He followed a very normal progression after getting starting minutes here in MN.
Year: PerGame - PerMinute
2010: 31.62 - 1.11 (MVP: Lebron - 53.51)
2011: 42.77 - 1.20 (MVP: Rose - 41.96)
2012: 45.60 - 1.17 (MVP: Lebron - 47.53)

2014: 47.73 - 1.31 (MVP: Durant - 48.06)

So, basically he's the best player absolutely nobody outside of Minnesota is talking about.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Durant.jpg