NBA 2015-2016 Season thread

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hasn't Philly been saying that for like the last 10 years? Have they just abandoned the whole basketball thing and are content with just trying to win the lottery every year?
This is the last year. I don't think anyone expects them to tank next year. We might not be good but it won't be bc of tanking. I'd expect us to see what we have in players next season then trade/sign what we need.

Jah playing the 4 tonight

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Actually, Noel and Jah have been playing much better together. Brett Brown is a huge +/- guy and just brought this up. The first 1/3 of the season they were -25 per possession, they currently are -8 for the 2/3 of the season. They have improved together and individually. Right before the All Star break Oak had like 36 rebounds in 3 games, so it's not like the skill doesn't exist. He's averaging 17 and 7 on a team that just doesn't have a lot of NBA level players. He's improving.. I know you guys can't watch the sixers game but it is happening..
Hey! Let's not look at the 47 other games the guy has played in. Look at just these 3! Damn. What a good rebounder.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Let's not pretend he's still a young rookie? And my point was.. he can rebound, he just needs to be more consistent. My overall point is he will improve in that area, and become a better defender. you guys have already written him off.

Jahlil Okafor Career High 31 Points Full Highlights (2/21/2016) - YouTube

And when he's on he's pretty unstoppable.
Convo, you know I love you dude but if Okafor was on any other team you wouldn't give one shit about him. His +\- was -30.

Philadelphia 76ers at Dallas Mavericks Plus/Minus, February 21, 2016 | Basketball-Reference.com

Here you see some stretches when that awful team seems to play some competent basketball. And what do you know. It happened every time Jahlil sat. This game couldn't be a better example of a player being "unstoppable" yet doing nothing to help his team win.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Convo, you know I love you dude but if Okafor was on any other team you wouldn't give one shit about him. His +\- was -30.

Philadelphia 76ers at Dallas Mavericks Plus/Minus, February 21, 2016 | Basketball-Reference.com

Here you see some stretches when that awful team seems to play some competent basketball. And what do you know. It happened every time Jahlil sat. This game couldn't be a better example of a player being "unstoppable" yet doing nothing to help his team win.
Haha of course i wouldn't. The fan in me wants to see him improve but he's gotta want it. My guess is if he's not responding to coaching and improving, he'll be traded if Embeed works out. But i do think it's premature to write him off at this point. He absolutely can improve on defense.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Not necessarily disagreeing, but +/- is a bad metric.
Base plus minus with no context over several games is a bad metric. It certainly can tell you things over a single game especially when breaking down specific on/off court time, which is what I was trying to do with that link. That shows pretty clearly the team played better when Okafor wasn't on the court, despite his 31 point unstoppable play.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wasn't much of a metric when he was dominating your boy Towns!

What's up with Wiggins this year? Doesn't seem like he's improving as fast as most thought he would.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I feel like Wiggins is a lot closer to his ceiling than most people think.
Not quite seeing this. Guy literally turned 21 yesterday, in his 2nd year is putting up 20.7ppg with solid defense. He doesn't really have a good idea how to score yet, so most of his points are unassisted, athletic buckets. What defensive shortcomings he has comes from him working too hard to get points on offense & getting caught standing straight up. Now he may never develop a great IQ for the game, in that return he could be near his ceiling. But there are definitely somethings there to indicate he could get quite a bit better. He has had a similar projection to a very young Kobe, now whether or not he ever gets remotely close to that, we'll see.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Wasn't much of a metric when he was dominating your boy Towns!

What's up with Wiggins this year? Doesn't seem like he's improving as fast as most thought he would.
The biggest problem with our team is Sam Mitchell for sure. I'd like to see Wiggins with a real coach. I'm not worried about his scoring ability. That hasn't progressed from an efficiency standpoint like we'd hoped but I think he'll improve there. The real concern is he doesn't do much else. Rebounding and assist numbers are low for his position and he turns the ball over a lot. He needs to improve at those things or he's a do nothing volume scorer like Nick Young or something and that would be awful. The hope is his athleticism pulls him through and like I said he's had really awful coaching this whole season. If there's one little ray of hope its that as incredible as Towns projects to be, Wiggins no longer has to bethat guyon offense, but he has to learn to do the other stuff or he'll lose a lot of value.

Players improve until they're 25 or so then they plateau until the early 30s and decline after. So no, I wouldn't say he's close to his ceiling, but if you guys will remember before his draft and during the Love talks, I've never been as high on Wiggins as most. I see the potential, it just takes a lot for a wing player to score at volume but without efficiency and do enough other stuff to still remain productive. The age of that type of player is really dead in the modern NBA. I think he was overrated as a prospect the begin with (not like Harrison Barnes overrated but still overrated) but still could get there.

Go ahead and throw Okafor's age in my face after that comment. I get it. There's room to improve there too. The question I have is how he's going to score outside of isos and how he's ever going to guard a pick n roll. As well as previously covered topics like just how awful his APM this year (last in the entire league).

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Not quite seeing this. Guy literally turned 21 yesterday, in his 2nd year is putting up 20.7ppg with solid defense.
Wiggins, at least right now, is not a solid defender. He's actually a pretty horrendous defender and just shows a lack of smarts on that end of the court. Right now he's around average for his position for offensive production and a liability on defense. Hire Thibodeau and maybe that changes, but no one watching Wolves games is going to say Andrew plays solid defense right now. The Kobe comparison is way off too (aside from the fact that I don't really think Kobe was that good). Kobe did way more "stuff" from the get go than Wiggins ever has (much better at any non shooting stat, less turnovers). The only viable comparison is they both shown to be volume scorers out the gate.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah. For sure. I'm hoping we win the lottery so I can laugh about how we acquire stars through ineptitude and your actual attempt at tanking failed. Haha.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah. For sure. I'm hoping we win the lottery so I can laugh about how we acquire stars through ineptitude and your actual attempt at tanking failed. Haha.
haha, it wouldn't surprise me. Really need LA to win some games. Those assholes need to drop to 4th

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
haha, it wouldn't surprise me. Really need LA to win some games. Those assholes need to drop to 4th
I'd hope for the opposite. This draft isn't looking as good as it was projected a few months ago. I think it really falls off after the top 2.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Wiggins, at least right now, is not a solid defender. He's actually a pretty horrendous defender and just shows a lack of smarts on that end of the court. Right now he's around average for his position for offensive production and a liability on defense. Hire Thibodeau and maybe that changes, but no one watching Wolves games is going to say Andrew plays solid defense right now. The Kobe comparison is way off too (aside from the fact that I don't really think Kobe was that good). Kobe did way more "stuff" from the get go than Wiggins ever has (much better at any non shooting stat, less turnovers). The only viable comparison is they both shown to be volume scorers out the gate.
I imagine you watch Wiggins on a more consistent basis than I do, but as far as I know he has no reason not to be a solid player defensively with some coaching cleanup and what not. All the tools in the world, needs to clean up on obvious approach, and his effort. More than anything, his motor is what will hurt his growth as a player. Kobe was even more turnover prone earlier in his career than Andrew has been thus far in near equivalent minutes. Kobe was a more consistent 3pt shooter, and his effort on defense was certainly better. So I guess most peoples comparisons between the two, lie with the fact that they are high ceiling-high volume iso scorers with defensive upside. Back to the motor issue, it does bother me that a guy with his athleticism is only grabbing you 3.6 rebounds a game and finding 2 assists. He has got to assert himself more.

Also, your definition of "good" must be incredibly picky. Kobe by any stretch of the imagination is a Top 15-20 basketball player. That's pretty "good".