NBA 2015-2016 Season thread

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't think I've seen Curry miss those last second half court + heaves. He does miss those occasionally, right?

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Well yeah.. he hit 2-3 more to start the 4th after i typed that. Still, he's the 2nd leading scorer right now with 14.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Damn, turned into a blowout. Curry benched. He's gotten so close to that record a few times this year. Almost beat his point total for a single game too.

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Bird and Magic are both on record saying that the era Jordan dominated, the early 90s, was the weakest talent-wise in NBA history. Yeah, the game was slightly more physical but you can't add a ton of expansion teams and not expect talent to take a nose-dive for the first half dozen seasons.

Jordan was the byproduct of David Stern's marketing genius. He was great, no doubt, but also trumped up and all of his plays were crammed down people's throats. It was a success and the NBA was catapulted into the mainstream. They needed a hero, and got one.

Kobe really wasn't that far behind Jordan. Not at all. And I pick LeBron and (this season's) Curry over Kobe, because they improve their teams.

I'm here to state the facts and point out that Jordan isn't quite the untouchable god-like figure that everyone portrays him to be. Jordan is the benefactor of perfect circumstances, ideal timing, and taking advantage of the open-door opportunity named Nike.
+

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
He was unreal the past two nights.

In his 43? point performance in Miami last night he hit 2 30-footers in the last 70 seconds, each time when the Warriors were losing by a point, to lead to a win.

Tonight he scored 51 on 20/27 shooting in only 34 minutes on a night when the rest of the team really wasn't giving a great performance. Again, the end of a road back to back and the 6th game of this road trip if you include the one they had before the all-star break.

Oh, and barely over 2/3 of the way into the season, he's now 10 3's away from the single-season record he set last year.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Mixing you and Wooly up. Jordan would probably be a bit better in today's NBA, but rule changes would have had a minimal effect on Curry's game.

It would translate well to any era with a 3 point line.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Well, this era NBA allowed a player like Kobe who is like barely good win 5 rings and be a first-ballot hall-of-famer by mimicking Jordan's game. If a chump like Kobe can con his way into discussions of greatness by being a poor imitation of Jordan than surely the man himself would have been that much better, eh? Jordan's like at least a little better than Kobe, right?

Of course, Jordan wasn't even the best player on his team, right? So, hrm, now I have to rethink everything.

thefaceless

Golden Squire
Watching Wiggins you never see him play with a fire. He just has a blank look to his face like he's not into it.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Here in a couple years when that team dissolves and they don't destroy teams by 20 every night, they are going to eventually let him shoot 40 shots in a night and go off. Can't wait to see it. Pulls a Kobe or Carmelo and shoots all night.

Ps. Harden the bad guy? http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/02/james-harden-wanted-mchale-fired-dwight-traded.html

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Stopped reading after...

"FRIDAY, 7:41am: Harden never demanded a coaching change or that Howard be traded, Rockets CEO Tad Brown insisted Thursday to Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle."

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Watching Wiggins you never see him play with a fire. He just has a blank look to his face like he's not into it.
Yeah, that's part of why I felt his ceiling was closer than some thought (in addition to all the more tangible points Slaythe brought up). I don't know that he wants to be the best he can be. I probably saw more of his college ball than pro and even then I felt he'd be a fringe All-Star in the best possible case. Someone with his physical abilities should never be a poor defender -- I think that says a lot about his mentality. A coaching change might be able to have a dramatic effect but I don't know. He's still young but if he's still basically the same player after his third year in the league, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Woolygimp

Take this with an open mind but I seriously, seriously think Harden tried to throw a couple games in the playoffs last year. Game 3 was fishy as fuck by itself, but then you see this?

James Hardens 13 Turnovers Highlights Rockets vs Warriors Game 5 May 27, 2015 NBA Playoffs - YouTube

His team kept them in there until the final quarter when Harden just started doing crazy shit like dribbling the ball off his knees/feet, or just straight up passing the ball to defenders. Before you criticize me, ask yourself why is it beyond the realm of possibility? These guys make millions, but they could easily put a large amount of money in a game like this with a huge line, and then throw it, especially when they don't think they have a chance at the championship.

Everything Harden did was so fucking suspect, you can't deny it.

Most of the TOs were in the last half after his teammates had given the Rockets the lead. The line was something like Rockets +10.5. So he had to put forth extra effort to lose by that margin, and he did. Record breaking amount of TOs. And it wasn't just TOs but he played absolutely no defense, and let them score at will.

Each of James Hardens record-setting turnovers was worse and more stupid than the last - SBNation.com

The last turnover with 40 seconds is the most damning. Nobody was guarding him and he dribbles the ball off his foot after trying to go between the legs, with no defender on him. The Rockets win game 5 without Harden on the floor. The final possession of the game, after Harden dribbles off his foot, Harden fouls Curry down 11 with 20 seconds left after letting him dribble out the shot clock. Why intentionally foul a 3, down double digits, with less than 1 second left on the shot clock after literally conceding the game, walking around the floor, and not playing defense?

Harden game 6 vs Clippers was the same thing. Rockets down 16 with him out there, end up winning with him benched.

...and let's not act like the NBA is completely free of controversy.

Knicks fixed games for drug dealers: FBI probe | New York Post
Tim Donaghy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Woolygimp

Who remembers this?

If they get this call, the Celtics beat the Heat and make the Finals. Instead there's no call, the Heat advanced to the Finals and win it all.

I just think the rules are a bit too subjective, and referees have far more power than they have in any other sport. It's a fun popcorn sport, but there's just too much shady shit. Tim Donaghy specifically named this game as being rigged when he was caught.

Keep in mind, it's not illegal for owners/management to fix games for ratings. Just like wrestling, they can pretty much dictate whichever outcome they'd like. I think that happened a LOT in the David Stern era, and it looks like it's died down a bit since he stepped down.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think refs can have a far greater hand in the outcome of a game in the NFL. And I don't think that can be argued. Free first downs or massive amount of yardage for a PI call changes the game way more than a single call can in the NBA.

I was at that Game 5 of the WCF and the Warriors were NOT scoring at will. They were pretty pathetic outside of the outstanding performances of Ezeli and Barnes in the fourth quarter. Curry was not good. Only shot 30% or something terrible.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
'only', heh. For anyone else, that's an average statline, but for Curry it's terrible.

edit: err.. thought you meant 3pt %. Overall shooting, that's below average for sure.