NBA 2016-17 Season Thread - Knicks in 6

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why wouldnt it? Melo and Westbrook have the highest usage rates in the NBA but Melo allows Russel to penetrate and kick, he hits 40% of his catch and shoot 3's. Westbrrok had nobody to reliably go to on offense so he just kept himself. Now he can rely on Melo and take someof the load off. Then you have George to play defense, helping out Westbrook on that end of the floor,allowing him to save energy and play more transition.

Not only that but George can create for himself too, meaning he can free up Melo and Westbrook, if not, he is a very effective scorer if he keeps the ball himself. Now they have 3 elite scorers,and 2 elite defenders. They are like Team USA lite, I can see this team competing with GS.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Why wouldnt it? Melo and Westbrook have the highest usage rates in the NBA but Melo allows Russel to penetrate and kick, he hits 40% of his catch and shoot 3's. Westbrrok had nobody to reliably go to on offense so he just kept himself. Now he can rely on Melo and take someof the load off. Then you have George to play defense, helping out Westbrook on that end of the floor,allowing him to save energy and play more transition.

Not only that but George can create for himself too, meaning he can free up Melo and Westbrook, if not, he is a very effective scorer if he keeps the ball himself. Now they have 3 elite scorers,and 2 elite defenders. They are like Team USA lite, I can see this team competing with GS.

Yeah, I had a brain fart and completely forgot about George going there. I take back what I said, because that completely changed the dynamic of the team.

The West is so loaded at this point.

Jozu

It's a 6 team race basically. GS, OKC, Houston, Boston, Cleveland and San Antonio. No other team has a chance, period.

I would say pre season on paper ratings would be:

GS
OKC
Boston
Cleveland
Houston
San Antonio

Golden State could be even better than last year, and OKC is winning 60-62 games easily with the addition of Melo and George. Boston is reloaded but then you have LeBron with a chip on his shoulder so the Cavs will be there in the end. This is LeBrons final superstar year IMO. 33 years young this year in December, once you hit 34 you are going to drastically decline. He has logged a ton of minutes as it is, so this is his final "best player in the world" year.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Okc's bench is terrible now. They'll lose so many possessions when 2 of the big 3 are sitting, imo.

Jozu

Losing Kanter sucks but to get Melo? You have to pull the trigger on that. They can throw a warm body big at the 5 and play George as a small 4 with Melo at the 3. Melo can post up 4's so George will be able to clean up and move without the ball while the defense collapses on Anthony. That 3 man trio is better than anything else besides GS's 4 man band.

Melo and George is better than just Durant, for Westbrook.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, but a bench still matters. When Lebron was on the floor in the Finals this past year the Cavs had a positive +/-. When he sat, it was terrible. That bench time was enough for them to lose the series.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Really this move is all about keeping Westbrook. It doesn't make them a championship contender but it does show Russell that they're willing to do anything to build around him. Getting him to reup after this year is an obvious priority number one for them (along with PG13 hopefully).

I think it'll work out fine. He'll play the 4 and is surrounded by great defensive players. He'll have a role a lot like Kevin Love's in Cleveland.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
It's a 6 team race basically. GS, OKC, Houston, Boston, Cleveland and San Antonio. No other team has a chance, period.

I would say pre season on paper ratings would be:

GS
OKC
Boston
Cleveland
Houston
San Antonio

Golden State could be even better than last year, and OKC is winning 60-62 games easily with the addition of Melo and George. Boston is reloaded but then you have LeBron with a chip on his shoulder so the Cavs will be there in the end. This is LeBrons final superstar year IMO. 33 years young this year in December, once you hit 34 you are going to drastically decline. He has logged a ton of minutes as it is, so this is his final "best player in the world" year.

OKC? Dude get past the big three there now and you have gar-barrge. Nah, they will fade quick.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I live in OK and look forward to this season. My wife and I usually attend 5 or 6 games. I may be alone, but I'm not a fan of the Kanter/Melo trade. The kid is talented and only going to get better. Melo is Melo and soon to ride off in to the sunset. Also, dat culture shock for him. Has to suck to go from NYC to OKC.

Jozu

Melo is guaranteed 23 points a game. George is a 20 point per game guy. Westbrook averaged a triple double. That team is going to be scary, depth or no depth.

Pigbenis

Molten Core Raider
Looks like Wade is going to end up with the Cavs. Cleveland feels like the island of misfit toys or something where all the old washed up players land.

Last edited:

Jozu

Does anyone think Kyrie Irving has another gear? Can he up his game still, or have we seen his apex?

His early years without LeBron were decent but the team wasn't winning. This Celtics team might be a good fit for him, now he can control the ball and run the offense every possession. I think he puts up career numbers.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Okc's bench is terrible now. They'll lose so many possessions when 2 of the big 3 are sitting, imo.
Their bench is terrible "now"?
Are you somehow not remembering what their team looked like when Westbrook sat in the playoffs?
They've at least added PatPat, and as fat as he is, Felton is better than Norris Cole and Semaj Christon.

Pigbenis

Molten Core Raider
Does anyone think Kyrie Irving has another gear? Can he up his game still, or have we seen his apex?

His early years without LeBron were decent but the team wasn't winning. This Celtics team might be a good fit for him, now he can control the ball and run the offense every possession. I think he puts up career numbers.

Allow me to jump off Kyrie Irving train...

Run the offense? He's a very 1 dimensional player -- ISO ball all the way. I hated to see him go, but to think he's going to be some pure point guard now it's just not going to happen.