NBA 2016-17 Season Thread - Knicks in 6

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
50/50 on who is the better team, Boston or Cleveland right now.

Lebron is still Lebron, with no signs of decline when you do an eyeball test. Besides, you are waiting out Lebron anyway to leave Cleveland or get old. Brown and Tatum are what you are counting on here. Boston in let's say 3 years SHOULD be the best team in the east by a mile, and catch up to GS in that time.

We know that no one is better than Golden State, but you can hope that Durant or Curry break an ankle or some shit this year...

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Cleveland is still Cleveland. They're still tops in the East.

I'm really surprised Boston was willing to give up so much for him. You really can't build a team around either of the 2, but throw in Crowder and a top 5 pick.. fwhat? Plus KI will be a free agent after 2020 what do they have or will they have that will make him stick around? I don't get it.

A cakewalk to the conference finals if not the finals every year. No team outside of Cleveland/GS can say that. In 2020 it will ONLY be GS and Boston.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Could be a great trade for Cleveland. That Nets pick could give the Cavs leverage to try to keep Lebron around after this season by either trading the pick with other assets for another star he wouldn't want to pass up playing with or by simply drafting a guy Lebron might want to play with. Next year's draft could be the most talented top 5 since the Lebron/Melo/Wade/Bosh (and Darko!) draft.

I'm more surprised the Celtics were finally willing to give up one of those picks to trade IT for Irving. Its an upgrade, and it makes them more scary in crunchtime (as crazy good as IT was there last season), but I'm not sure how much better Irving will really make them. Getting 2 top 5 picks in next year's draft would have been ridic., especially if either of them landed 1 or 2. Then you look at the fact that they are bailing out their only competition in the East that might have fallen apart next year, and are now less likely to fall apart after this trade... Saves the Celtics the worry of how much its really worth to re-sign IT though. I do think Irving is a great fit with them because his skillset will be more valuable to a team that can slow the pace down and play D. If that Nets pick doesn't land top 2 its probably a good deal for them (and would be regardless if Irving were to help them win a title of course).

Last edited:

Leadaas

Dindu Nuffin
Really like this trade for the Cavs because I don't think they could've gotten anymore value out of a trade than they did here, once Kyrie made his intentions known. I'm just going to assume they'll be trading that pick plus filler for another all star at some point. Really like the possibilities at the top of next year's draft though. Boston at Cleveland opening night is gonna be fun.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
And a reliable anchor down low who is a double double machine and leader in the locker room.

Who are you talking about? It better not be 6.8 RPG Al Horford...

Really like this trade for the Cavs because I don't think they could've gotten anymore value out of a trade than they did here, once Kyrie made his intentions known. I'm just going to assume they'll be trading that pick plus filler for another all star at some point. Really like the possibilities at the top of next year's draft though. Boston at Cleveland opening night is gonna be fun.

No way they trade that pick unless Lebron signs an extension.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
FWIW, was his lowest RPG of his career, his career number is 8.7.

That's pretty misleading. The latter half of his career is a lot lower. His last three years are 7.3, 7.2, and 6.8. He plays more point center and shoots more threes than his 9+ RPG days. He was 71st in the NBA in double doubles last year with EIGHT, tied with Robin Lopez and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. So, saying he's a double double machine is hyperbole.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That's pretty misleading. The latter half of his career is a lot lower. His last three years are 7.3, 7.2, and 6.8. He plays more point center and shoots more threes than his 9+ RPG days. He was 71st in the NBA in double doubles last year with EIGHT, tied with Robin Lopez and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. So, saying he's a double double machine is hyperbole.

Right, but the 6.8 is the only time he's ever been below 7, so might have just been a down year. Not saying he's a world beater, just that we could have been noting an outlier year in that it's his lowest ever and only one ever under 7.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
50/50 on who is the better team, Boston or Cleveland right now.

Lebron is still Lebron, with no signs of decline when you do an eyeball test. Besides, you are waiting out Lebron anyway to leave Cleveland or get old. Brown and Tatum are what you are counting on here. Boston in let's say 3 years SHOULD be the best team in the east by a mile, and catch up to GS in that time.

We know that no one is better than Golden State, but you can hope that Durant or Curry break an ankle or some shit this year...

Really, I think the contract situation is going to become untenable in the next couple of years, and GS will end up declining. This year looks to be GS repeat mode unless there's a major injury (though, they -did- do without Durant for like, a good chunk of the season) or some crazy rookie skills show up in the mix. But I think the next couple are a lot less likely, esp. if Lebron heads to a team in the west -just- to be in that melee. The East is going to continue to be the underdog for at least the next couple of years, and 100% so if Lebron heads west.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
The Warriors core is locked up for 2 more years, assuming Durant opts out and signs a long-term deal next year. Their first challenge in holding it together will be 2019 when Klay becomes a FA.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I have mixed feelings about this deal. I think Ainge gave up a shit ton to get it done. Moving pieces he refused to part with earlier in the offseason for Butler or PG13. But the flip side is certainly a better team in the short term. I don't like IT much at all. He's incredibly entertaining, but for everything AIish he does on the offensive end, he's probably the worst defensive player in the entire league. Part of that isn't really his fault. It's just really hard to hide a guy that's 5'8''. On top of that he's got a bum hip and is an expiring deal. I'd much rather pay Kyrie for two years and see what happens than be forced into giving IT a max extension. All in all I'd probably just rather have Fultz through all of this though. Losing Crowder sucks but they have tons of wing depth to theoretically replace him. Just don't think Jayson Tatum's rookie year is going to be anything like what Crowder would give that team now.

It's a slam dunk for the Cavs. It lets them appease Bron in the short term and add pieces for the future. BKN should be better but that pick is still going to be in the lottery. Crowder is still youngish and theoretically takes some defensive pressure off LeBron and Zizic is a project but a legitimate one.

All in all I think it was a home run for the Cavs. And you can rationalize it making sense for BOS too despite it seeming like a pretty steep price, especially for what other 'stars' went for this offseason.

Pigbenis

Molten Core Raider
Cavs landed a pretty big trade exception on that Kyrie deal as well. It'll be interesting to see what they do with that and the Nets pick.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Oh cmon Horford had a down year playing in Brad Steven's system, having to get used to it, and try and play off of what turned out to be hang out and spread the floor strategy, taking an occasional 16 footer while everyone just lets Thomas create by slashing or just scoring himself.

He got better as the year went on and I reckon he will be more of a 14 9 4 type of guy not great but certainly a useful big and locker room leader. He even admitted he was uncomfortable in the first half of last year, if he gives you what he gave you over the second half of last season, with Kyrie now handling the ball, the Celtics are going to be better.

If Jaylen Brown continues to develop and is a all NBA defender going forward this team can compete for a championship. That's not even taking Tatum into account, if he turns out to be ROTY material now this is the second best team in the NBA.

They would get beat in a 7 game series against GS no doubt BUT they could def beat the Cavs and go to tthe Finals if everything works out.

Edit: Kyrie/Hayward backcourt is pretty fucking good. Maybe best in the league besides Houston and GS.

Last edited:

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A rare good trade for both teams. Celtics landed the best player but I cannot think of another trade that landed so much for the team trading away the best player. Turning IT, Crowder, and a pick that may be outside the top 8 for Kyrie is a no-brainer.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
A rare good trade for both teams. Celtics landed the best player but I cannot think of another trade that landed so much for the team trading away the best player. Turning IT, Crowder, and a pick that may be outside the top 8 for Kyrie is a no-brainer.

Really depends on where this Brooklyn pick lands. If it's a top 2 pick. Bad trade Boston. 3-4. Even. 5+ then Boston gets the nod IMO.

One thing I do NOT like is that they helped Cleveland no matter how you look at it. Cleveland had almost zero leverage here...Just not sure why you needed to give up that Brooklyn pick. Seems to me all these "assets" you've been stock piling was what this was made for.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I think that Brooklyn pick has the very real potential of being outside the top 5. They have 0 reason to tank this year and the East is SO BAD. I can see the Pacers, Bulls, Magic, Pistons, Hawks and maybe Knicks all racing to bottom out the hardest. If this time next year LeBron is gone and they don't re-sign IT and have like the Nets #7 pick...that's pretty goddamn rough.