NBA 2016-17 Season Thread - Knicks in 6

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Not sure if this is your first NBA game but double dribble and travel don't exist. LeBron is one of the kings of three stepping.

You are correct, double dribble, 3-step traveling, and moving your pivot foot are all NBA non-calls. But we have NBA n00bs in this thread who think that Showtime Lakers played like the Spurs.....

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
Not sure where I said anything about a non-call, I'm well aware they happen all the time (often for Lebron). However, I'm certainly not going to say Lebron got roasted on a play where he was playing good D up until Curry picked up his dribble into a pump fake. I realize it's the hip thing to hate Lebron because Gaige annoys people, but that's a Forward guarding a PG with the best handle in the league, and if he actually shoots there it's in the stands.

Edit: Watch the slow mo. He bites on the pump fake as soon as he sees two hands on the ball.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Not sure where I said anything about a non-call, I'm well aware they happen all the time (often for Lebron). However, I'm certainly not going to say Lebron got roasted on a play where he was playing good D up until Curry picked up his dribble into a pump fake. I realize it's the hip thing to hate Lebron because Gaige annoys people, but that's a Forward guarding a PG with the best handle in the league, and if he actually shoots there it's in the stands.

Edit: Watch the slow mo. He bites on the pump fake as soon as he sees two hands on the ball.

100% agree -- Steph's double dribble was the cause of him beating Lebron, outside of which Lebron played great D on him.

However, you're using facts, reason, and logic so you're automatically completely dead wrong about everything you wrote and your entire opinion and all future ones will be automatically discarded.

Louis

Trakanon Raider

Hadn't seen that angle and yea that is pretty bad. Also, shows how bad he was getting checked as well.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, not gonna feel too bad about a double dribble non-call with the fouls not being called on Lebron there.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Which ends in two games when Curry signs the supermax.

That is the ONLY reason their payroll is low is because Curry is still on his broken ankle contract.

That's why Durant has to take less just to even fit Curry's supermax in.

So in a season or two with repeater tax, to keep their team together as constructed they'll be way deep in the repeater tax like the Cavs.

Anyway...

All of which is irrelevant to this year. This is basic team building in the salary cap era of sports...more so in others that don't let you go into tax like NBA, but you need to get maximum production out of your good contracts. Bitching about the Warriors doing a good job managing their team is laughable. They're beating the most expensive roster in the NBA, and the gap between the Cavs and #2 is pretty big by comparison to gap between other teams in top 10.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm surprised Lebron didn't pitch a bitch after Steph scored. Legit didn't complain at all. Good on you, Lebron! You've already given up.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
I'll be surprised if Curry signs a supermax anyways. We've already heard KD is willing to take less than a max to stay. I don't see a situation where Durant takes a discount and Steph doesn't.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'll be surprised if Curry signs a supermax anyways. We've already heard KD is willing to take less than a max to stay. I don't see a situation where Durant takes a discount and Steph doesn't.

Maybe. Curry still hasn't received an All Star level contract. Been the fifth highest paid player on the Warriors for a couple years now.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
All of which is irrelevant to this year. This is basic team building in the salary cap era of sports...more so in others that don't let you go into tax like NBA, but you need to get maximum production out of your good contracts. Bitching about the Warriors doing a good job managing their team is laughable. They're beating the most expensive roster in the NBA, and the gap between the Cavs and #2 is pretty big by comparison to gap between other teams in top 10.

I think that's a bit of an oversimplification. They did get a great break with Steph. That's just luck, pure and simple.

Then, the timing of the expanded salary cap came at exactly the right time they needed it to. This is something that didn't happen every season and, most likely, never will (I don't see the owners not fighting for a provision to soften cap increases in the future). Without this, KD would not have gone to the Warriors without taking a huge pay cut.

That said, Cavs paid highly for some people they probably could have let go or found cheaper and nearly as good substitutes while still having cap space for a max or near. Lebron gets too attached to some of his bros.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Cavs have their stars and at least some of them are playing pretty well. The fact of the matter is the Warriors are a better team and the Cavs have played shitty often this year but have gotten away with it because the East is garbage. Well their I don't care attitude and taking time off from games has caught up.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It's good to see Curry be Curry in the Finals this year. Get rid of that "disappears in Finals" narrative. No one is talking about him because Durant's been beast, but Curry has been really good.

Sterling

El Presidente
It's good to see Curry be Curry in the Finals this year. Get rid of that "disappears in Finals" narrative. No one is talking about him because Durant's been beast, but Curry has been really good.
Shooting 7/17 from the floor isn't great, but obviously more than made up for by everything else 32/10/11 is something and 14/14 from the line is spicy.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
His performance clearly shows he was pretty injured last year. With him healthy and no suspensions or ejections last year Warriors win then too.

• 2Cutler
Reactions: 1 users

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
The fact of the matter is the Warriors are a better team.

73 wins plus an MVP. This is correct. I believe any championship team since 1990 would be getting blown out by this Warriors team too.

About this payroll bullshit:

Curry's broken ankle contract pays him $12 million this year. Hell get the supermax which is going to be $207 million for 5 years, so $40 some million. A raise of $28 million per year.

The Cavs currently pay $21 million more in salary than the Warriors.

So, KD will take less to keep Iggy and Livingston. Aboit $5 million per.

If they keep Green and Klay though they'll be at like $118ish on those 4 guys, which will deplete their bench, put them way into the luxury tax, and make them the highest paid team in the league.

Their talent makes it worth it, but I can already see issues coming up with the personalities.

Odds are Steph loses MVP to Durant this year despite scoring over 30 a game and already having a triple double.

Issues like that kill superteams eventually, because when you're that good you want the spotlight so we'll see what happens.

But ya, if Curry was making what he is worth they'd already be more expensive than Cleveland is.

Last edited:

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Which ends in two games when Curry signs the supermax.

That is the ONLY reason their payroll is low is because Curry is still on his broken ankle contract.

That's why Durant has to take less just to even fit Curry's supermax in.

So in a season or two with repeater tax, to keep their team together as constructed they'll be way deep in the repeater tax like the Cavs.

Anyway...

They'll be way deeper in championships though.

Tough year Gaige, might be time to hang it up. First the Falcons, now Lebron, brutal 4 months.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

<Gold Donor>

Tough year Gaige, might be time to hang it up. First the Falcons, now Lebron, brutal 4 months.
There's always the next bandwagon for him to hop on.

• 1Cutler

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile

They lost to better teams. I'm cool with that.

Ya they probably will win a bunch of chips, as they should with two MVPs under 30 on the same team. It's never happened before, and we're witnessing just how good a team built like that can be.

LeBron doesn't need more rings anyway, just keep ascending the all-time lists. He already brought a title to Cleveland. He doesn't need to do more.

Plus, like you said if the Dubs go on to win 5 or 6 or 7 titles with that team it'll make LeBron's losses even less revelant as half of them or more will have came from what people will call the greatest team of all time.

• 1Like