NBA 2016-17 Season Thread - Knicks in 6

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think that's a bit of an oversimplification. They did get a great break with Steph. That's just luck, pure and simple.

Then, the timing of the expanded salary cap came at exactly the right time they needed it to. This is something that didn't happen every season and, most likely, never will (I don't see the owners not fighting for a provision to soften cap increases in the future). Without this, KD would not have gone to the Warriors without taking a huge pay cut.

That said, Cavs paid highly for some people they probably could have let go or found cheaper and nearly as good substitutes while still having cap space for a max or near. Lebron gets too attached to some of his bros.

Much like the Cowboys got a break finding a gem of a QB in the middle rounds so their cap will be great for next few years. This isn't some magical thing that only happened to the Warriors. It's also a team that got the Finals the last 2 years in a row without Durant

• 1Like
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 1 users

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Having a two time unanimous MVP on the last year of a steal contract because of past injury issues which happens to be the same year you sign KD... Is a little lucky.

Good on them, but not like Curry won't sign thr supermax in a few months and change all this payroll bs going around.

• 1Cutler
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
There's a not totally unreasonable chance the Warriors wouldn't have beaten a healthy Spurs team.
Possibly but I still put the Warriors as the clear number 1 with Cavs and Spurs a distant 2-3.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Much like the Cowboys got a break finding a gem of a QB in the middle rounds so their cap will be great for next few years. This isn't some magical thing that only happened to the Warriors. It's also a team that got the Finals the last 2 years in a row without Durant

Steph's contract is analogous to landing Dak. Risk or drafting (Draymond) that pays off can certainly be credit given to the organization.

The salary cap thing is an anomaly that was all about fortuitous timing and not at all Warriors' clever planning. As you said, they were already great without him and could definitely have won other titles. However, the salary cap's massive increase at just the right time was a pretty magical thing to allow them to take it up to 11. That took them from strongest team but beatable to nearly unbeatable. It's a big difference.

Plus, outside of a QB, each individual player in the NBA is worth so much more than an individual in the NFL, so that analogy isn't equivalent.

• 1Like

Merrith

Steph's contract is analogous to landing Dak. Risk or drafting (Draymond) that pays off can certainly be credit given to the organization.

The salary cap thing is an anomaly that was all about fortuitous timing and not at all Warriors' clever planning. As you said, they were already great without him and could definitely have won other titles. However, the salary cap's massive increase at just the right time was a pretty magical thing to allow them to take it up to 11. That took them from strongest team but beatable to nearly unbeatable. It's a big difference.

Plus, outside of a QB, each individual player in the NBA is worth so much more than an individual in the NFL, so that analogy isn't equivalent.

Difference is, they weren't the only team to benefit from the salary cap going up. Again, the Cavs are spending far more than just the difference between Curry's current $ to the max deal. Cavs far and away spending more than anyone else in the league this year.

Merrith

No they aren't lol. The difference is almost totally Curry's salary.

We're talking like ~$18 million more Curry could make with a max deal currently vs. like a ~$26 million gap between the two teams' payrolls? Legit asking, it's hard to find solid numbers...not to mention what cap will be next year, and all the soft cap bs with luxury tax/etc.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Their talent makes it worth it, but I can already see issues coming up with the personalities.

Odds are Steph loses MVP to Durant this year despite scoring over 30 a game and already having a triple double.

Issues like that kill superteams eventually, because when you're that good you want the spotlight so we'll see what happens.

Don't think this will happen. They just care about winning. There is a massive lack of ego on the Warriors. Except when it comes to them as a team compared to others.

• 1Like

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
We're talking like ~$18 million more Curry could make with a max deal currently vs. like a ~$26 million gap between the two teams' payrolls? Legit asking, it's hard to find solid numbers...not to mention what cap will be next year, and all the soft cap bs with luxury tax/etc.

I think his future salary if he signs for the max is $36m, so $24m difference from this year.

Sterling

El Presidente
Possibly but I still put the Warriors as the clear number 1 with Cavs and Spurs a distant 2-3.
I would agree that the Warriors would obviously still be favorites over the Spurs, but I think that Spurs are also better than the Cavs.

• 1Like

Merrith

I think his future salary if he signs for the max is $36m, so $24m difference from this year.

Of course, Lebron's deal is also going up a few million each of the next two years, so are we just comparing the payrolls and max's right now...or are we just looking at what Curry's max could be next year while still only looking at this year's payrolls.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
This is LeBron's team. He built it and picked these players. Kevin Love is playing great. If he cannot beat the Warriors that's on him.

• 2Like
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 2 users