NBA 2017-2018 Season Thread

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
There's no Best of series in football because you'd have to wheel the players off in a stretcher. NBA season is like 90 games, NFL is 16, and that's no accident. The level of physicality between the sports is not even comparable.

You're avoiding the point.

In football, chance (or luck) has a much bigger impact than who wins compared to baseball or basketball. There are people who complain about baseball's 162 season being too short because it's too random.

In basketball, we have college March Madness – very often, the best team doesn't win. The best team in the country/league isn't necessarily the one that has the right combination of matchups and luck (among other factors) to win 5 games in row. Patriots went 19-1, perhaps the greatest team of all time. Didn't even win the trophy that year.

Best of series aren't perfect, but they filter out a hell of a lot more noise than a playoff made up of single win or go home games.

The NFL season can't be made any longer, so it is what it is. Enjoy a League where anything can happen any given Sunday, because it can.

The NBA is different.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
You're avoiding the point.

In football, chance (or luck) has a much bigger impact than who wins compared to baseball or basketball. There are people who complain about baseball's 162 season being too short because it's too random.

In basketball, we have college March Madness – very often, the best team doesn't win. The best team in the country/league isn't necessarily the one that has the right combination of matchups and luck (among other factors) to win 5 games in row. Patriots went 19-1, perhaps the greatest team of all time. Didn't even win the trophy that year.

Best of series aren't perfect, but they filter out a hell of a lot more noise than a playoff made up of single win or go home games.

The NFL season can't be made any longer, so it is what it is. Enjoy a League where anything can happen any given Sunday, because it can.

The NBA is different.

This is why I love the NFL. Show up on game day, when it matters most. I love baseball and basketball (not nearly the same), but the series matches just burn out teams, similar to 10 round matches in boxing. I'll take 3-5 round UFC any day. The games shouldn't be the workout that precludes the "game" or event. The game should be the fucking game. This is why the Olympics are also a thing. There's preliminaries to qualify, but you gotta show up when it matters.

Luck, fuck. Fuck that. Luck is bullshit. More games is just more bullshit, lower stakes, and good for statisticians to suck each other off with while selling empty stadiums.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm

I think just about everyone in Philly would be fine with a new GM, he hasn't been well liked. The Fultz trade was an absolute fleecing. I actually think Fultz is going to be pretty good if he gets his shoulder figured out, but giving up the King's pick just so that the Celts could pick the guy they were going to pick regardless is pretty bad.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What's even worse for Philly is they didn't have to trade with the Celtics to get Fultz because they were never going to pick him, Ainge just did a great job planting seeds in the media and had guys like Bill Simmons talking about Fultz like he was the guy they might pick.

So the Sixers bought into it and traded to take him at 1 when they could of had Tatum AND their draft capital intact. Especially after how good Tatum has looked, its almost sad.

The Sixers are still a good team and maybe Fultz will put it together, but when you think of the fact that they could of had Tatum, Ebiid, Simmons AND their pick they traded, your talking about maybe the best team in the NBA in 2019.

Instead the Celtics got the Sixers pick, landed Tatum who they wanted anyway, and will now go into next season with Kyrie, Heyward, Tatum, Brown and Horford, with whatever rookie they pick with the Sixers draft capital and the best coach in the NBA.

Edit: well maybe they wouldn't of got Tatum if they didn't make the trade as Boston would took Tatum 1st, but they could of at least kept their pick and took Fultz or Mitchell even.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
ad8b285c733fee9bfefe6020bf0f44e2c4cf42b4be52f5c5819a56d1512f7a24.jpg

• 1Like
There's no Best of series in football because you'd have to wheel the players off in a stretcher. NBA season is like 90 games, NFL is 16, and that's no accident. The level of physicality between the sports is not even comparable.
True. Wait, which way are you going with that?

If by physicality you mean liability to end up a shopping cart, yes, NFL. But if by physicality you long term sports like NBA, Baseball, Soccer, and even hockey, I think those are waaay more physical, in the sense of Athletic.

Let's imagine I create a sport where players run at top speed in to a brick wall. Sure, might only get a few matches a year out of those fellows. But that is not athleticisism.

There is a reason I compared NFL to prizefighting. Both are not so much athletic as they are duels to the death in which one's career can easily end in a single match,

NFL = poorly designed sport.

• 3Picard
  • 1Cutler
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 5 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Saying NFL players aren't as physically talented or athletic as fucking baseball players? Dude. I think the Browns just got you down, man.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

If by physicality you mean liability to end up a shopping cart, yes, NFL. But if by physicality you long term sports like NBA, Baseball, Soccer, and even hockey, I think those are waaay more physical, in the sense of Athletic.

Let's imagine I create a sport where players run at top speed in to a brick wall. Sure, might only get a few matches a year out of those fellows. But that is not athleticisism.

There is a reason I compared NFL to prizefighting. Both are not so much athletic as they are duels to the death in which one's career can easily end in a single match,

What the hell? Outside of how weird it is that you included baseball on that list, NFL players are far faster and stronger than any of those other sports. A lot of players are even up there with the NBAs best when it comes to jumping ability.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea what the fuck lol. American Football might be a "poorly designed sport" but it sure the fuck is entertaining isn't it?

And not only that, go watch Saquan Barkleys combine tape and come back and tell me how the NFL doesn't compare to athletes in other sports.

You know Bartolo Cologne is making like 23 million dollars a year or something and he is like 47 years old and weighs 300 lbs? He is still making a living throwing a baseball. There are freak athletes on NFL practice squads....

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Saying NFL players aren't as physically talented or athletic as fucking baseball players? Dude. I think the Browns just got you down, man.

IKR, what is next? Golfers are the most physically talented athletes in the world?

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
IKR, what is next? Golfers are the most physically talented athletes in the world?

Obviously. In one event like the Masters there are 4 rounds of 18 holes each! Talk about ensuring no luck is involved and only the best athletes can compete. Craig Stadler is a modern legend

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

This may be the dumbest thing I read on this board all year.

TomegZr.gif

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
This is why I love the NFL. Show up on game day, when it matters most. I love baseball and basketball (not nearly the same), but the series matches just burn out teams, similar to 10 round matches in boxing. I'll take 3-5 round UFC any day. The games shouldn't be the workout that precludes the "game" or event. The game should be the fucking game. This is why the Olympics are also a thing. There's preliminaries to qualify, but you gotta show up when it matters.

Luck, fuck. Fuck that. Luck is bullshit. More games is just more bullshit, lower stakes, and good for statisticians to suck each other off with while selling empty stadiums.

It's a different way to sell the same story.

Some sports have found it more lucrative (or more practical) to sell you one attempt. Others sell you competitors having several opportunities to showcase why they're "the best." Both models are prevalent in the Olympics.

Football tells different stories than basketball. Ridiculous catches in back to back years by Julian Edelman and David Tyree change who gets the trophy.

Professional sports are manufactured drama. UFC "belts," NFL "win or go home" playoffs, NBA "best of series" advancement, it's all the same at its core. You're being sold entertainment that's put in a different wrapper. You're allowed to have your favorite, just as you're allowed to have your favorite flavor of ice cream or favorite pizza topping.

• 1Like
What the hell? Outside of how weird it is that you included baseball on that list, NFL players are far faster and stronger than any of those other sports. A lot of players are even up there with the NBAs best when it comes to jumping ability.

Yeah I kind off the rails there. You are correct. There are freakish athletic skills in the NFL. Absolutely. 300 pound dudes who turn and twist and accelerate. Corners whop can run 4.3's and at the end do aacrobatic jumps. Still the big limiter with the NFL is the violence. It is not those atheltic skills per se. It is that the athletes are asked to use them in a sport which is centered around the tackle, which at their speeds and masses, is just not sustainable.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
It's a different way to sell the same story.

Some sports have found it more lucrative (or more practical) to sell you one attempt. Others sell you competitors having several opportunities to showcase why they're "the best." Both models are prevalent in the Olympics.

Football tells different stories than basketball. Ridiculous catches in back to back years by Julian Edelman and David Tyree change who gets the trophy.

Professional sports are manufactured drama. UFC "belts," NFL "win or go home" playoffs, NBA "best of series" advancement, it's all the same at its core. You're being sold entertainment that's put in a different wrapper. You're allowed to have your favorite, just as you're allowed to have your favorite flavor of ice cream or favorite pizza topping.

Completely fair assessment. I just don't like sitting through 3 pointless games to watch the games that actually matter. Admittedly bucket games aren't 3-4 hours long, so there's that. And baseball is 10x worse with super long games, on top of a series.

You've also got your NASCAR, your F1 and your 24 hour Le Mans... All said, I still don't like wasting time watching pointless shit to get down to the last couple laps.

Olympics only have qualifying, preliminaries, and finals. You're wasting your time sitting through heats or waiting for 30 competitors or teams to do individual runs. Still, as an observer, the experience is rather compressed compared to a season of any national sport given they happen over a couple days or a week at most.