NBA 2020-2021: The Dubs Empire Strikes Back

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
As a fan of basketball, it's great to see the number of teams making deals in efforts to win a championship.

Also OKC is officially the farm system for rest of the NBA. Can they go back to Seattle yet?

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Really good points about ESPNs telecasts now from The Ringer. Their draft coverage tonight was fucking God-awful, and their NFL draft was considerably worse this year as well. They really have "Good Morning America'd" all their coverage for the women... Who don't fucking watch these things. Video starts at the discussion.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Klay torn Achilles confirmed. Fucking devastating. It'll be nearly three years before Klay will even get to step on the court and I doubt he'll be anything more than a catch and shoot guy after these two injuries back to back. I had true championship aspirations and that's now out the window. Now we'll see if Bob Myers can pull off the magic again. Because this could be the end of the Dubs for a bit unless they make some magical moves.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Klay torn Achilles confirmed. Fucking devastating. It'll be nearly three years before Klay will even get to step on the court and I doubt he'll be anything more than a catch and shoot guy after these two injuries back to back. I had true championship aspirations and that's now out the window. Now we'll see if Bob Myers can pull off the magic again. Because this could be the end of the Dubs for a bit unless they make some magical moves.
Yeah the Klay thing is real shitty.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The Oubre trade is a fantastic move. Myers indeed worked some magic. Obviously no Klay replacement, but we'll see what they can do in FA with the exception money they now have.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Dubs are sadly not striking back.

Oubre is a nice player, but he is barely All Star material. He is a great athlete and a good defender, is streaky with his shot, but either way without Klay, unless Wiseman turns into a walking double double and Curry stays healthy and can score 23 25 pts a game for them then maybe they can make the playoffs. But they could be a terrible team if Wiseman doesnt work out.

I think LaMelo Ball will be a good piece for Charlotte. Walker ran that offense and did whatever he wanted with the ball, the same thing will happen for Lamelo. He will jack up 10-15 shots every game and end up with 7 or 8 assists every night. I think he has a better career than Lonzo.

Sterling

El Presidente
Ball has probably the highest upside of the early picks, but he's got some real basic things he has to work on and the Hornets don't exactly have a history of developing dudes. That's not a promising combination.

Jozu

He can work on his shot I dont think that will be a problem. At least in Charlotte he can spread his wings and just kind of do whatever he wants. There are zero expectations for that team, as long as he can stay healthy I think he'll be fine.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The Dubs are sadly not striking back.

Oubre is a nice player, but he is barely All Star material. He is a great athlete and a good defender, is streaky with his shot, but either way without Klay, unless Wiseman turns into a walking double double and Curry stays healthy and can score 23 25 pts a game for them then maybe they can make the playoffs. But they could be a terrible team if Wiseman doesnt work out.

I think LaMelo Ball will be a good piece for Charlotte. Walker ran that offense and did whatever he wanted with the ball, the same thing will happen for Lamelo. He will jack up 10-15 shots every game and end up with 7 or 8 assists every night. I think he has a better career than Lonzo.

Curry's averaged that or better every year almost his entire career. And he's played in 70+ games almost every season too. Curry got hurt last year and before that was the ankle injury which somehow got him this "injury prone" reputation even though he only missed a handful of games for 6-7 years after that.

And you say they need Klay to even make PLAYOFFS? So they go from a title contender to not even playoffs without Klay? Warriors have a number of unknowns, but they definitely look like a sure playoff team right now.

Sterling

El Presidente
He can work on his shot I dont think that will be a problem. At least in Charlotte he can spread his wings and just kind of do whatever he wants. There are zero expectations for that team, as long as he can stay healthy I think he'll be fine.
I mean it's possible, but it's also possible he can pull a Simmons and just never be a shooter. He also plays basically no defense which is an issue. Not saying he'll end up being dogshit, but he's the lowest floor/highest ceiling guy of those early picks.

babo

Golden Knight of the Realm
That Wojbomb hit different....
EnOLA6ZXUAIagZ0.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I don't understand the hornets giving Hayward that kind of contract.

• 1Truth!

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Hornets can't draw FAs unless they overpay. Hayward seemed on track to be worth that kind of money when he was ending with Utah. When he finally got healthy again in Bos there just wasn't enough ball to go around for him to put up those kind of numbers again, whether he was healthy enough or not. Doesn't seem like a bad signing to me, what else are they going to do with that money ?

Jozu

When they lost Walker to Boston I bet they were happy to pay Gordon 200 million to get him.

babo

Golden Knight of the Realm
Celtics signed Khloe Kardashian on a 2 year 18 M deal.
I feel like its a perfect fit with the Celtics. Not only can she score but also gives us better rim protection and a tougher presence to guard the paint!
Don't hurt that her dad played professional sports either! Standing tall at 6'9 300 lbs. Hands literally can hold a basketball using 3 fingers.
I cant be mad at Danny Ainge pulling this one off..

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Next years draft is apparently, very loaded with top-end talent. Hornets should've probably waited one more year before making a move like that. Then again, that franchise is, sort of a disaster. Can't really blame MJ & the FO trying to do something akin to a" move towards relevance".

Mavs moved Delon Wright and took on James Johnson's expiring contract. Great move just getting off the last two years of that deal. Mavs now have max capacity next year and that's without moving anyone else. The Giannis pipedream still has to be in play, but it can't be a singular focus for the Mavs.

With the Lakers, Nuggets, Clippers, Portland (also made some great moves), and the Warriors probably being competitive again along with the Heat, 76ers, Celtics, and the Nets bringing in the big guns I do really wonder if Giannis will lose again look a the landscape and come to the conclusion that he needs to find another "star". That being said, I'm actually a tad bit worried, and even respectful, that I don't know if Giannis would leave and go team up with the other "face of the league" going forward. He seems to be more fiery/competitive than the rest of this league in regards to joining up with other mega-stars. Then again, they could form the all-Euro team and push that as a chip on the shoulder.

Curious to see where Bogdanovic lands. I'd guess the Hawks (they have $20mm in cap), but I do wonder if a team is lurking with S&T capabilities.

Jozu

Tristan Thompson is an OK player.

He can get you a double double, but he isnt going to change the Celtics in a way where they are markedly improved. The Celts have actually been pretty good over the last few years. NBA season is back before end of the year lol.

• 1Like