NBA 2020-2021: The Dubs Empire Strikes Back

babo

Golden Knight of the Realm
So Lebron James can go out to parties with Drake and gets the OK to play right away but CP3 can't?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Paul has been vaccinated, so he won't be out long. 1 game would still be huge.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Mavs let go of Donnie Nelson after the big article from two days ago.

Thank God. Let Sportsology and Mike Forde find you a real fucking GM.

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
LeBron is literally the biggest fucking faggot in sports, holy shit.

Did you see his recent comments about how he predicted their would be many injuries because of quick turn around because of COVID affected season? He basically cried and said that because the Lakers specifically didnt get enough RIM REST it affected their entire roster, including him, as well as "other all stars in this league" saying some bullshit about how there were more all stars injured this year than ever before.

He finished his long winded statement by saying "Sorry fans wish you guys were seeing all your fav guys right now. Prayer hands/ Crown"

For fucks sake, this guy needs to just shut the fuck up. FIrst he releases statement talking about hes changing his number next season. No one cared. So now he tweets that fucking shit in order to try and put the spotlight back on himself while he watches from home like the rest of us. Its really sad that he cant let guys like Mitchell, Young, Embiid, and Booker get their time to shine. He was always a big baby, but now after being in the finals so much and always being the main story, if he doesnt get there he just bombards the media with other bullshit instead.

Im not watching Space Jam.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Mavs let go of Donnie Nelson after the big article from two days ago.

Thank God. Let Sportsology and Mike Forde find you a real fucking GM.

Not sure if serious? Mavericks were a joke of a franchise before he was GM. He gave them Dirk, turned them into a perennial playoff team, got the players for the title. As Dirk's reign was clearly ending he somehow found a better player to be Dirk's successor. Hasn't been able to put players around Luka yet, but these things take time with young players. There's a couple good ways to put talent around great young players:

1. - stay bad long enough to keep getting more lottery picks. Luka made Dallas too good too quickly to go this route, similar to how Lebron made Cleveland good very quickly. So this is not really an option.

2. -bide your time, keep your cap flexible, and wait for the right free agent to become available. Aside from Porzingis, which at the time seemed like a good move to most, they have kept things pretty flexible. You just can't find another star to go next to a young superstar like Luka overnight, takes time and careful planning.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
LeBron is literally the biggest fucking faggot in sports, holy shit.

Did you see his recent comments about how he predicted their would be many injuries because of quick turn around because of COVID affected season? He basically cried and said that because the Lakers specifically didnt get enough RIM REST it affected their entire roster, including him, as well as "other all stars in this league" saying some bullshit about how there were more all stars injured this year than ever before.

He finished his long winded statement by saying "Sorry fans wish you guys were seeing all your fav guys right now. Prayer hands/ Crown"

For fucks sake, this guy needs to just shut the fuck up. FIrst he releases statement talking about hes changing his number next season. No one cared. So now he tweets that fucking shit in order to try and put the spotlight back on himself while he watches from home like the rest of us. Its really sad that he cant let guys like Mitchell, Young, Embiid, and Booker get their time to shine. He was always a big baby, but now after being in the finals so much and always being the main story, if he doesnt get there he just bombards the media with other bullshit instead.

Im not watching Space Jam.
MJ was better than LeCry on the court in real life and space if that sequel that nobody wanted ever comes out.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Not sure if serious? Mavericks were a joke of a franchise before he was GM. He gave them Dirk, turned them into a perennial playoff team, got the players for the title. As Dirk's reign was clearly ending he somehow found a better player to be Dirk's successor. Hasn't been able to put players around Luka yet, but these things take time with young players. There's a couple good ways to put talent around great young players:

1. - stay bad long enough to keep getting more lottery picks. Luka made Dallas too good too quickly to go this route, similar to how Lebron made Cleveland good very quickly. So this is not really an option.

2. -bide your time, keep your cap flexible, and wait for the right free agent to become available. Aside from Porzingis, which at the time seemed like a good move to most, they have kept things pretty flexible. You just can't find another star to go next to a young superstar like Luka overnight, takes time and careful planning.
Donnie was good at identifying European talent, no doubt. Donnie had an eye in identifying talent before the league shifted over the last 10 years. And for the most part Donnie was, WAS, a good GM for a long time... But he has not been a good GM for years now. Easily going on a decade.

There is a reason Cuban and the franchise started listening to Bob Voulgaris, and it's because Donnie constantly fucked up over the last decade. He was terrible in the draft, outside of Luka and Brunson. Donnie really wanted Luka, as did Bob. But aside from that Donnie just missed way too often. Donnie traded away Seth Curry for Josh Richardson most recently. He also gave Dwight Powell $10million a year. He has a lengthy track record of heavily underperforming, in recent memory. Not to mention they wasted Dirk's last 6 years doing nothing. It is absolutely time to move on from him. Get someone who has better relationships with agents etc.

As for Carlisle: He is a great coach... But I'm perfectly fine with moving on from him as well. He is an X's & O's guy, and a damn good one, but this is a players league. The coach needs to be someone who can harbor young talent, and the players like... And one that potential free agents like. Free agents did not want to play for Rick. I strongly recommend this podcast (below) that Lowe did with Tim McMahon just hours before the Carlisle news broke. Tim does a great job of detailing the tension between Rick & Luka.

Also, the general media consensus in DFW right now is that Cuban is a retard and it's his fault, and you do whatever is happy to make Luka happy whatever that may be. Luka is super professional with these kind of things, and has said all the right things. He might not love Rick, he may hate Voulgaris, but kid is very mature. His job is basketball, and he is aware. I think more than anything the Cato/Athletic article was the final nail in the coffin for Cuban. I think he realized they need more results. He won't get blind loyalty from everyone like he did Dirk, sadly.

First 30 minutes or so is Mavs dysfunction talk.

Last edited:

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I hope Luka takes the super max deal, then has his very own "Taking my skills to South Beach" moment. Cuban deserves nothing less than being humiliated for destroying this team following 2011.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
There is a reason Cuban and the franchise started listening to Bob Voulgaris, and it's because Donnie constantly fucked up over the last decade. He was terrible in the draft, outside of Luka and Brunson. Donnie really wanted Luka, as did Bob. But aside from that Donnie just missed way too often. Donnie traded away Seth Curry for Josh Richardson most recently. He also gave Dwight Powell $10million a year. He has a lengthy track record of heavily underperforming, in recent memory. Not to mention they wasted Dirk's last 6 years doing nothing. It is absolutely time to move on from him. Get someone who has better relationships with agents etc.

Voulgaris didn't officially join the Mavericks FO until after the Luka draft, so he most certainly had nothing to do with that decision and all credit should go to Nelson. I'm reading Rick Carlise quotes from that first Luka season where he says Nelson told him long before the draft he was pretty sure Luka was going to be the best player in that class, and that Nelson is one of the best talent evaluators Carlisle has ever seen in the league.

Calling his draft performance terrible over the last decade is pretty misleading. Looks like the Mavericks maybe had only 7 or 8 first rounders in that time (a couple had been traded away), and the majority were late lottery or late teens. Anybody would do well to bat .250 on picking good players in that range. HOWEVER

I'm also reading that Donnie Nelson wanted to draft Giannis and Cuban overruled him lol. Instead of listening to the guy that found him Dirk, Cuban is like nahh I'm smart, lets pass on his call this time. Instead of complaining about middling moves that don't really move the needle like trading SETH or keeping Dwight Powell around, that's the first thing you should be looking at.

And speaking of wasting Dirk's last 6 years (which is overstating things since Dirk was just running through the motions for the last few), wasn't it Cuban that decided not to re-sign Tyson Chandler because he thought it'd be worth it to create cap space to try to sign Dwight Howard instead of allowing his champions to try to defend their title? Fucking ridiculous.

I'm not Mavericks fan, but if I were I'm pretty sure I'd be blaming Cuban and his hubris more than anybody for the last decade.

Mavs' Donnie Nelson wanted to draft Antetokounmpo, Mark Cuban said no

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Giving up a first and Kemba to get fucking Ancient Horford? That seems like a really bad deal to me.

They get from under Kemba's contract. They don't pickup Horfords option. So about 15m saved AFTER next year?

Kemba was a bust in Boston. Now if we can get rid of Smart for...anyone!

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They only really save 17 million.

lol. And lose a first round pick? I know anything after pick 8 mine as well be pick 30 but still. Horford is trash.

Sterling

El Presidente
Not sure it's enough of a savings to give up a mid 1st, but the idea is sound. Also, they're getting Moses Brown in the trade and that's a thing.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
BOOM

hmm, also...

I think that’s the dumbest shit ever tho and one reason journalists are worthless. What is he supposed to answer? “ That dude just doesn’t have it. Lifelong assistant is all I’d ever see him doing”. Terrible fucking questions like always. Only high school GMs like LeBaby play those games.

• 3Like