NBA 2022-23 Season Thread - Wembanyama Tank-A-Thon Is On!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Everything I'm reading and hearing is that they don't see Wood as a long-term fit, which is a bit of a head-scratcher. Not very often you have an athletic big man who can shoot the way he does and score 30 pts, 10 reb, and 2 blks in a night. I get he isn't a great defender by any means, but he does rim-protect and offensively Luka and him on the floor together has been fantastic.

It seems like they want a more defensive minded center, who can rim run a bit, and block shots, and to find their offense from the guard and wing positions. Which I get that to a degree, but you better get some assets for Wood. I've seen Wood + Bullock + Bertans for something like Westbrook & a protected '27 1st from the Lakers.

I'm not moving the 1st rounders for anything less than Siakam, Rozier, or Bogdanovic. For Bogdanovic I'm only doing that if you're going all out to get both a Rozier-type, and Bogdanovic. Certainly not giving up a 1st for the Knicks deal. Hartenstein could be solid, but Rose and Reddish are just meh. I know the Knicks want Bullock, though.

If you could acquire both Rozier & Bogdanovic for the '25 & '27 1sts, some seconds and some salary matches, that's intriguing because then you keep Green & Hardy - the only issue at that point is that's your future with Luka.

Doncic, Rozier, Bogdanovic, Dorian Finney-Smith, Center - Dinwiddie, Hardy, Bullock, Kleber etc - You better be really sure you can win it all with that lineup, which with Luka you really might be able to. I prefer the, "get a 2nd bona fide star route, and then aim to convince one or two more really solid Top 50 players in free agency in two years" route.

I do really like what I see from Green & Hardy, worst case those guys look like staples. Hardy really looks like he could be a Jordan Poole-type player, and shows better defensive upside, and a better ability to get to the rim. Green could be an Iguodala-like player.

If they make a trade for Siakam, it will certainly be something like:
Mavericks receive:
Pascal Siakam

Raptors receive:
'25, '27, '29 1st-round picks
Josh Green
Tim Hardaway Jr.
Davis Bertans
Two 1st-round pick swaps

If there is some magical way the Mavs could swing a deadline deal with them, maybe:
Mavericks:
Pascal Siakam

Raptors:
'27 & '29 1st-round picks
Three 1st-round pick swaps
Christian Wood
Josh Green
Dorian Finney-Smith/Tim Hardaway Jr.

I think Josh Green is/has played himself into a very, very intriguing asset. He completely revamped his shot, shows elite defensive potential, and can play make - that sort of wing player is insanely valuable. I'd love to keep him, but I'm sure they'd ask for him.

The Bulls and the Raptors are probably the key deadline teams to watch through the rest of this year, and the off-season. The Raptors have four pieces to really, really keep an eye on: Siakam, Anunoby, Trent Jr., and Van Fleet. I'd love a shot at any of those guys, in that order. Bulls obviously have DeRozan and LaVine.

All that being said, Nico knows this team needs a huge revamp. The off-season might just be a much better time to try and make that strike. If you can clear THJ, Bertans, and McGee while waiting, sign me up.

I don't follow Detroit, so I will ask. Why would Detroit give up Bogdanovic for a shitty late 1st round pick? The one time I saw him play he was rock solid.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Not a Lebron fan by any means, but he was blatantly fouled on the play, and the missed call was the reason they lost the game. Every win / loss is huge in the west right now, of course he was upset.

Um that was the last of the missed calls that led up to a potential win for L.A.

My question is WTF is the NBA ref association groveling at the alter of Lebron. They have missed THOUSANDS of calls for super stars over the years that never got a response.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Um that was the last of the missed calls that led up to a potential win for L.A.

My question is WTF is the NBA ref association groveling at the alter of Lebron. They have missed THOUSANDS of calls for super stars over the years that never got a response.
The NBA does this two minute report thing for every game that goes over the last two minutes of the game and points out any officiating mistakes, so they can't really avoid it (though, naturally, even that is sometimes controversial in its interpretations).

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I don't follow Detroit, so I will ask. Why would Detroit give up Bogdanovic for a shitty late 1st round pick? The one time I saw him play he was rock solid.
He's an older player and their timeline probably doesn't fit along his.

That being said, you're not wrong - trades where teams get picks back for really good to superstar level players almost never bring back equal value. But more trade assets to package together when Detroit is further along is probably the main motivation.

Edit: funny enough an article just dropped saying the Pistons will probably hold onto Bogdanovic. Obviously, it could just be posturing but they're probably having similar thoughts.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
When you're a team like Detroit, a future asset that has an unknown quality is probably still a better play when that good to great player isn't enough to get you into any kind of contender status. Especially when that player is 33. That's something that teams like the Knicks could never quite figure out for a long time.

Of course, you still have to get people to come to your games, so that's one reason to hold on to a guy like that when your team sucks.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
F303BD81-3D04-4CAD-AEAA-5991EC1F35C0.jpeg

Goofy ass list of all-star reserves. Holiday over Trae Young… Halliburton over Jalen Brunson… Bam over Siakam. Even Paul George over Keldon Johnson is pretty questionable. Guy barely plays.

Neither ATL guard making the cut is gonna cause some drama there guaranteed.

Last edited:

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Kyrie demanding a trade again. How many times has that been now in the last 12 months?

Jozu

Do you guys play daily fantasy? I played a few times on Fan Duel, like 7k pot contests w 10$ entry. I won 30$ on my first set of games (on Wednesday) but then have lost 4 straight entries.

Is there some kind of trick to getting the most out of your lineups? I know injuries play a major part, but its so hard to get a winning score it seems, as you basically have to have a perfect lineup to win or close to it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Do you guys play daily fantasy? I played a few times on Fan Duel, like 7k pot contests w 10$ entry. I won 30$ on my first set of games (on Wednesday) but then have lost 4 straight entries.

Is there some kind of trick to getting the most out of your lineups? I know injuries play a major part, but its so hard to get a winning score it seems, as you basically have to have a perfect lineup to win or close to it.

Welcome to gambling.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Jozu

Yea you are right lol.

I just doubled up two 5$ entries last night, so it looks like you can have moderate success if you dont make any stupid entries (guy is injured, playing #1 defense or slow pace) and choose 1 or 2 value picks.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
If the Lakers can turn Westbrick and the 2027/2029 picks into Kyrie, I’d be impressed.

if anyone pays first round picks for Irving they’re fucking morons. There’s zero reason to give the Nets that when second rounders and a couple movable contracts would do the trick.

Remember - they lose him for nothing this summer, and it’s very likely he never plays another game for them anyway. Brooklyn has zero leverage, which was almost certainly Kyrie’s plan after he saw what happened with KD last summer.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Nets have no incentive to move him for contracts and second rounders. If that's the best offer they should just keep him and dare him to sit out the rest of the season. They are contenders if he just changes his mind, the same way KD did earlier this year. I'm not helping another team unless they make it worth my whole. A second rounder doesn't do that.

• 1Like

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Nets have no incentive to move him for contracts and second rounders. If that's the best offer they should just keep him and dare him to sit out the rest of the season. They are contenders if he just changes his mind, the same way KD did earlier this year. I'm not helping another team unless they make it worth my whole. A second rounder doesn't do that.

Then he walks for nothing, and Brooklyn is still at the salary cap this summer. That’s the worst possible outcome for the organization.

I think their best outcome is getting a Dinwidde/Finnie-Smith +2RPs package from Dallas or Mann/Jackson +2RPs from the Clippers. That is unless they like the idea of an aging Kyle Lowry or Lebron forces the Lakers to torpedo their future.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
If they're trading for average player contracts like that, they'll get at least one first out of it. If I were the Nets, I'd honestly rather see him walk for nothing and force his hand. If he refuses to play out the season then you don't pay him. In that scenario, what Kyrie should do is play it out to try to get the best contract he can - which again, makes them a contender today. Who cares about 2nd round picks.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Yea you are right lol.

I just doubled up two 5$ entries last night, so it looks like you can have moderate success if you dont make any stupid entries (guy is injured, playing #1 defense or slow pace) and choose 1 or 2 value picks.
Check out some strategies from Stokastic or something. I've made pretty solid money in NFL, but haven't ported over to NBA or MLB yet. Not much of a "gambler", but I do enjoy DFS and generally win more than not.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Kyrie talk:

I think the Nets would immediately take a package of Spencer Dinwiddie & Dorian Finney-Smith for Kyrie and never look back. The Mavs desperately need a 2nd star, and on the court I'm not sure if there would be a much better fit than Luka & Kyrie.

The deterrent for all these teams, including the Lakers, is their reluctance to offer him a huge deal. While I get that, if you're the Mavs, and can retain all your 1st round picks and Josh Green, and still acquire Kyrie for say: Dinwiddie & THJ, I think you have to do it. Offer Kyrie $165 million, over 4 years and see where it takes you. He'll have to play to get the money. Plus, he apparently has good relationships with Kidd & Nico Harrison.

The Mavs would then have three 1sts, and pick swaps, Josh Green, DFS to all push to land a true 3rd star this off-season - Siakam anyone?

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
The only reliable thing about Kyrie is that you know he'll be unreliable. I'd have a hard time trading anything of actual value for him and signing him to a multi year max/near max deal just feels super gross.