NBA 2022-23 Season Thread - Wembanyama Tank-A-Thon Is On!

Jovec

?
Wtf does that even mean? Posting cryptic garbage like it’s 2009 and he’s on his first month of Facebook

Not sure what he thought was going to happen. Lakers gave up all their assests for Davis. Then gave up more for Westbrook. The three of them are pushing $130 million per year in cap space.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Not sure what he thought was going to happen. Lakers gave up all their assests for Davis. Then gave up more for Westbrook. The three of them are pushing $130 million per year in cap space.
Also has any other player in the history of team sports gotten exactly what they want as often as Lebron James? Like holy shit bro. He doesn’t want to be hated but he just can’t help but act so incredibly hate-worthy.

Either way, the Lakers package was easily the worst of the four reported for a team building a win-now team around KD. Nothing more than that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
That's not even the worst case scenario (though a likely one). At least they can try to recoup some assets. If he bails after this season, Dallas handicapped their immediate future.
Silver lining on if he bails is that they have a near max contract slot available after this year that they wouldn't have had otherwise.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
If Nico tries to retain Finny Smith I think the Mavs lose Kyrie to the Suns or the Clippers.

Also I think Siakam is overkill if you snag Irving. The better move for them would be to drop the currently available 2027 and 2029 FRPs + Josh Green + THJ for Anunob at the deadline instead of waiting for the summer.

It was Finney-Smith or Josh Green, and they made the right decision or it sounded like they were going to take Chris Paul, Crowder, and picks from the Suns.

I think there’s a distinction between being toxic for an organization and toxic in the locker room. There’s really not a lot of evidence that he’s the latter, but plenty for the former.

Wonder what the Mavs next move is because they still have the same holes to plug, but now they also need depth at the wing. As I mentioned earlier, Anunoby is the dream scenario but the Pelicans have a way better offer. Not ideal but maybe calling the Pistons about Bojan makes more sense now.

Mavs should be calling about Naz Reid too.

This is spot on. Tim MacMahon, and Marc Stein were saying that players absolutely LOVE Kyrie for whatever reason. His issue is he clashes with the authority and front offices really bad. I don't think it will be so much Luka & him as it will be his relationship with Cuban, Nico, and Kidd falling apart.

That being said, he idolized Kidd and has a long-standing relationship with Nico from Nike. I don't know - we'll see what that actually buys you. Your hope is that Cuban and Co. kinda have a personality that lets players just, sorta, "be themselves". Then again, can you really make Kyrie happy for long?

I think available this year they have 2027 FRP and 2026 & 2028 FRP swaps. Their best young prospect is Josh Green and he’s doing great. A package for Anuonoby would have to be Josh Green + McGee + all the FRPs available… and both the Pelicans and Grizzlies have better offers. Suns & Blazers too.

They could definitely pick up Naz Reid and Bojan Bogdanovic though.

Mavs currently have '27 1st rounder available. '25 won't come open until the draft concludes, as they're still waiting to convey the '23 1st to the Knicks.

The Mavs either want a big defensive minded center, who can rebound a bit, or they'll look for an Anunoby-type at wing. I think the Knicks win the bidding for Anunoby, though. Honestly, I think they see Josh Green as Anunoby in another year or so. Very similar skill sets, one is more refined.

I saw somewhere that he was maybe responding to an article or reporter on TV speaking about a potential 3rd star to Dallas. I've always wondered in LeBron would maybe bail to go play with Luka since just loves him, and now Kyrie is there? Still doubtful, but interesting. No idea what this cryptic shit is.

My take as a very invested Mavs fan:
I really thought the Mavs were going to land Kyrie for Dinwiddie & DFS straight up. The '29 FRP sucks to give up, but it's six years away. The Mavs could only currently offer a two-year extension, sadly. So it really does make more sense for both parties to wait for free agency. Now what scares me is the obvious, "You just gave up Dinwiddie, DFS and a 1st to watch Kyrie break your heart and bail in the off-season to L.A."

Enter "Plan Powder".
As any Mavs fan knows, this has a horrible historical precedence - the Mavs have not been succesful in free agency. That being said, if Kyrie bails, it opens about $30 million in cap space for the off-season. This is a relatively weak free agency, and I think the Spurs are the only team that have any potential max cap space. All that to say, losing Kyrie wouldn't be "ideal", but the Mavs could essentially swap Dinwiddie, DFS, that '29 1st and say THJ (who they want to off-load anyway), and open up about $45 million in room. I think it's very possible the Mavs, in a salvaging situation, could land let's say a Jerami Grant and another $10-12 million player, or a package of something like Bogdan Bogdanovic at wing, and Jakob Poeltl at Center. Ideal? No. But it wouldn't necessarily be the end if he leaves. As for the trade deadline, I expect them to try and move Wood & THJ, and see what's available. Wood is a rare center who can rim-run, shoot at a high clip, and even rim protect a bit - but the Mavs FO really wants to run offense through the guards have a stout defensive big to make up for the back court's defensive shortcomings. I'm open to holding the '25 & '27 1st rounders, and re-evaluating again this off-season. Then again, a 1st could land you a Rozier/Bogdanovic/Trent Jr.-type player.

tl;dr
Kyrie leaves, it would suck, but not AS bad as I originally thought.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I keep seeing remarks about the Mavs being contenders now. I guess my question to Mavs fans is will there D hold up? Their offense got better, but their defense got worse.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I keep seeing remarks about the Mavs being contenders now. I guess my question to Mavs fans is will there D hold up? Their offense got better, but their defense got worse.

Let’s see where the roster ends up on Friday. They’re not done shopping and there’s still rumblings that Anunoby, Ayton, and Poeltl might all be on the move.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Lebron breaking the scoring record in a loss feels like the most Lebron thing ever.

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
It is weird to see a guy that has so much talent rub people the wrong way so often. Tonight he was true to character, right after he broke the record I saw his reaction and just turned the channel. It's like Ricky Henderson was an ass in a way you kind of liked him for it, Broni just finds a way to annoy you with his range from self-congratulations to fake feeling humility. What other semi-recent sports legend had that same effect?

EDIT: lol humility, not humidity.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It is weird to see a guy that has so much talent rub people the wrong way so often. Tonight he was true to character, right after he broke the record I saw his reaction and just turned the channel. It's like Ricky Henderson was an ass in a way you kind of liked him for it, Broni just finds a way to annoy you with his range from self-congratulations to fake feeling humidity. What other semi-recent sports legend had that same effect?
Russell Wilson once he met Ciara.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Truth!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It is weird to see a guy that has so much talent rub people the wrong way so often. Tonight he was true to character, right after he broke the record I saw his reaction and just turned the channel. It's like Ricky Henderson was an ass in a way you kind of liked him for it, Broni just finds a way to annoy you with his range from self-congratulations to fake feeling humility. What other semi-recent sports legend had that same effect?

EDIT: lol humility, not humidity.

Honestly I don't have anything in general against Lebron, although I think he whines to officials too much (although sometimes for legit reasons). Only thing that really rubbed me wrong about him was how he handled leaving Cleveland originally. Can't ever root for the guy because of that. He's still the 2nd greatest player of all time, though, and is still building a legacy that likely won't be touched by anyone for a long time, if ever in some ways.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Honestly I don't have anything in general against Lebron, although I think he whines to officials too much (although sometimes for legit reasons). Only thing that really rubbed me wrong about him was how he handled leaving Cleveland originally. Can't ever root for the guy because of that. He's still the 2nd greatest player of all time, though, and is still building a legacy that likely won't be touched by anyone for a long time, if ever in some ways.

His SEVEN minute fuckin speech didn't do it for ya huh?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
His constant batching about racism and how he feels " oppressed ", and scared to go outside of his home.....despite choosing to live around 99.9% white people did it for me.

There are not too many places in the entire world he could go and not be worshipped by millions of people.

His need to interject his opinion into every perceived " racial " issue completely lost me as a fan.

I had the pleasure of meeting his family when they stayed in a hotel I was managing for 2 weeks in a row. I dealt with his mother, girlfriend ( wife now ) and 2 kids when they were in grade school and they came down to eat every morning. They were amazing to all of us and didn't use their status to make demands like some of our other famous guests we had a lot of the time. I became a bigger fan then, but his stance on racism was too much for me to handle.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lebron is easy to hate on. And the way sports fans are, if he wasn't your guy, then you are probably going to hate on him because he is beating your guys. So, that is a lot more haters than fans.

He is a whiney bitch, but the way the game is played now, they are all whiney ass bitches. So I can't hate on him for that anymore than I can hate on every soccer player that acts like they are going to need a leg amputation when someone steps on their toe. You can hate the player, but it is really the games fault.

He did Cleveland dirty and he was so full of himself that he thought it was a good idea to do it on national TV, in front of a bunch of kids that idolized him. But, Dan Gilbert is a fucking dick and he raised over $1m for those kids with the publicity stunt. Oh, and he came back, and won that shit hole of a city its first title in a generation and the first/only for the Cav's.

He has been a great citizen and role model for his entire career. He came from a broken home, had no dad, and still he held it together by being a good husband and father. He had more expectations on him as a 15 year old than most of us could ever imagine. Not only did he meet them, he exceeded them. That is so fucking rare. I hate the fact that he leaned into the "King James" and the "Chosen One" labels, but fuck me, he actually fulfilled on it. He gets too political for my taste, but that is his right as an American and I can't hate anyone because they are exercising their free speech.

His statistics and records really speak for themselves. He probably is the #2 player all time, by most unbiased standards. He evolved his game and got better as his career went on. He added new elements each off season. He took care of his body, he stayed healthy, he played the majority of games when this generation seems to think it is ok to take every 4th game off for rest days. He had high expectations of his teammates and always got them involved. He took scrubs under his wing (hi Boobie Gibson) and somehow got a schizophrenic psychopath like Kyrie Irving to just play basketball.

The bar has been raised to such unrealistically high expectations, that if a guy like Lebron doesn't measure up, then none of us ever will.

• 3Like

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
It’s a joke that other teams were willing to help bail the lakers out of that roster mess

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Lebron is easy to hate on. And the way sports fans are, if he wasn't your guy, then you are probably going to hate on him because he is beating your guys. So, that is a lot more haters than fans.

He is a whiney bitch, but the way the game is played now, they are all whiney ass bitches. So I can't hate on him for that anymore than I can hate on every soccer player that acts like they are going to need a leg amputation when someone steps on their toe. You can hate the player, but it is really the games fault.

He did Cleveland dirty and he was so full of himself that he thought it was a good idea to do it on national TV, in front of a bunch of kids that idolized him. But, Dan Gilbert is a fucking dick and he raised over $1m for those kids with the publicity stunt. Oh, and he came back, and won that shit hole of a city its first title in a generation and the first/only for the Cav's.

He has been a great citizen and role model for his entire career. He came from a broken home, had no dad, and still he held it together by being a good husband and father. He had more expectations on him as a 15 year old than most of us could ever imagine. Not only did he meet them, he exceeded them. That is so fucking rare. I hate the fact that he leaned into the "King James" and the "Chosen One" labels, but fuck me, he actually fulfilled on it. He gets too political for my taste, but that is his right as an American and I can't hate anyone because they are exercising their free speech.

His statistics and records really speak for themselves. He probably is the #2 player all time, by most unbiased standards. He evolved his game and got better as his career went on. He added new elements each off season. He took care of his body, he stayed healthy, he played the majority of games when this generation seems to think it is ok to take every 4th game off for rest days. He had high expectations of his teammates and always got them involved. He took scrubs under his wing (hi Boobie Gibson) and somehow got a schizophrenic psychopath like Kyrie Irving to just play basketball.

The bar has been raised to such unrealistically high expectations, that if a guy like Lebron doesn't measure up, then none of us ever will.
Everything you said, I have said when defending Bron in the past. Every bit of it is true, but the guy just doesn't know how to be humble. He is the product of having cameras in his face since he was in middle school. As I said in a post awhile back I could always forgive him for that stuff the sameway I could forgive Bieber being an idiot at 18 with millions. It was the more recent stuff with BLM and his China Hypocrisy that pushed me away from him.

It sucks too, because I feel conflicted rooting for the team of my childhood with him on it.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Everything you said, I have said when defending Bron in the past. Every bit of it is true, but the guy just doesn't know how to be humble. He is the product of having cameras in his face since he was in middle school. As I said in a post awhile back I could always forgive him for that stuff the sameway I could forgive Bieber being an idiot at 18 with millions. It was the more recent stuff with BLM and his China Hypocrisy that pushed me away from him.

It sucks too, because I feel conflicted rooting for the team of my childhood with him on it.

Exactly. As a player, outside of his whiny bitching as one of the top players ever, he's been great. He's as talented of a player as we'll ever see and plays hard which is rarer now. Hearing a guy with that much talent whine and cry so much, while having no humility is grating though. And he takes zero credit for being an awful GM. Maybe the worst ever.

I could look over all of that but he's a really shitty human being. One of the dumbest, most racist, self-aggrandizing people you could ever imagine. Throwing out all that bullshit racism, kissing China ass like the fucking coward he is, and acting like he's an intellectual when he's probably read 6 books in his life is just too much hypocrisy and narrative setting for a guy who has lived a true king's lifestyle for most of his life. I can think of worse people in the world, but it's easy as fuck to hate the dude.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like