NCAA Basketball 2013-14

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Pre-season AP Poll came out today. Coaches poll has been out for a week or so.

NCAA College Basketball Polls, College Basketball Rankings, NCAA Basketball Polls - ESPN

rrr_img_48257.jpg

Go Mizzou!

fuck ku!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
And of course I fuck up the title...any mod want to delete a zero for me please?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Lol Mizzou. It must suck to have to switch conferences to have a chance to win it.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
KU/OSU should be really tight this season in the Big 12. Looking forward to seeing Wiggins and Smart go at it. Maybe the 2 best players in the country.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Cannot say I am very happy with Louisville being No. 3 after winning the championship and having one of the best records overall. Still scratching my head over Mich. St. being No. 2 over us also.

Going to laugh when Kentucky's Elite recruit squad ends up being incredibly mediocre.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Lol Mizzou. It must suck to have to switch conferences to have a chance to win it.
We won it 2 of the last 4 years we were in the Big 12, including our final year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_12_...all_Tournament

Tournament winner = automatic NCAA bid = conference champ

Regular season champ means fuck all. It does absolutely zilch, especially when multiple teams can tie for it and all claim it. That's why the Big 12 has been in existence for like 15 years but lists 21 champions. kansas even outright lost to the teams they tied for 1st with multiple times, yet still claims a regular season championship in order to keep their super important streak alive. Worthless.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
We won it 2 of the last 4 years we were in the Big 12, including our final year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_12_...all_Tournament

Tournament winner = automatic NCAA bid = conference champ

Regular season champ means fuck all. It does absolutely zilch, especially when multiple teams can tie for it and all claim it. That's why the Big 12 has been in existence for like 15 years but lists 21 champions. kansas even outright lost to the teams they tied for 1st with multiple times, yet still claims a regular season championship in order to keep their super important streak alive. Worthless.
Before Mizzou left, they won 2 conference tournaments to 8 won by KU (while big 12). Like you pointed out, it gets even more lopsided for regular season champs. 172-95 in head to head matches

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Before Mizzou left, they won 2 conference tournaments to 8 won by KU (while big 12). Like you pointed out, it gets even more lopsided for regular season champs. 172-95 in head to head matches
I won't deny that we were pretty disappointing during most of the Big 12s existence. We went from Quin Snyder(Coke habit & banging players girlfriends) to Mike Anderson(I can't recruit anyone unless they are related to me or I went to college with their dad) as head coaches. The jury is still out on Frank Haith, he's been solid in the regular season and conference tournaments, then an absolute trainwreck in the NCAA tournament. We went from our hall of fame head coach that was here for 30 years(Norm Stewart), to 2 shitty coaches, and now hopefully we are back on track.

Unfortunately, those 2 horrid head coaches during the 2000s meant we missed out on some epic in-state talent that wanted no part of playing for those 2 jerkoffs.

Ben Mclemore (7th pick in NBA draft)
Otto Porter(3rd pick in the NBA draft)
Bradley Beal(3rd pick in the NBA draft)

All came from Missouri in the last 2-3 years, Mike Anderson did a shit job of recruiting them. In fact, Otto Porter wanted to come to Mizzou, he grew up an MU fan and his parents went to MU, but Mike Anderson wouldn't even talk to him. Snyder screwed the pooch too a decade ago. Tyler Hansborough grew up a Mizzou fan, parents went here, blah blah blah but Quin Snyder was a coke-addled trainwreck, so he got the hell out of here.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Of course all that being said, Haith just lost out on Devin Booker this week, 4-star point guard who committed to Kentucky for 2014. He's only the son of the greatest PG in Mizzou history, Melvin Booker, who led us to our undefeated Big 8 1994 season.

Oh well, Kentucky is going to get whoever they want pretty much. Bad thing is, Kentucky probably ends up with a handful of guys even higher ranked than Booker, he may not ever play much there, and he could have been a day 1 starter at Mizzou.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Cannot say I am very happy with Louisville being No. 3 after winning the championship and having one of the best records overall. Still scratching my head over Mich. St. being No. 2 over us also.

Going to laugh when Kentucky's Elite recruit squad ends up being incredibly mediocre.
Because:
-That was last season
-You lost your starting point guard
-You lost Chane Benehan to what sounds like colossal stupidity
-It's a pointless preseason poll. I guarantee almost every school is improperly ranked.
-You know Kevin Ware isn't 100%.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Google Drive

This is a spreadsheet that someone(insane) made showing what would happen to an NCAA title "belt" like boxing or wrestling that passed from 1 team to another when they lost. Where would it end? Who would have it right now.

The starting point was arbitrarily chosen as the end of UCLA's record 88-game winning streak, and moves on from there.

Mizzou had the belt for 2 days in 1995. We took it from Indiana in the NCAA tournament and then immediately lost it in our next game to UCLA and goddamned Tyus Edney.

Pretty interesting

Original post
NCAA Basketball Title Belt Spreadsheet : CollegeBasketball

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Once you realize how much that spreadsheet is affected by scheduling, it's really just an exercise in mental masturbation. It's cute, but all it really means is who regularly schedules the best competition. Surprise, guess who's #1 by a huge margin? Furthermore, your conference affiliation is the biggest part of that because I know Syracuse's nonconference schedule is soft, yet they ended up 6th.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Speaking of best competition, Duke vs kansas next week to start the season in Chicago. Any predictions? I think Duke wins fairly handily. kansas is going to take a while to gel with the amount of young players and lack of returning experience. They will be a vastly different team at the end of the year than they are now. The Parker vs Wiggins matchup should be interesting though.

People around this neck of the woods are already flipping their shit over Wiggins because he only scored 10 pts in some meaningless exhibition last night against the little sister of the blind, or whoever they played.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, the Wiggins hype train is off the charts. I even get it, heisa completely legit prospect. Moreso than Harrison Barnes was without question.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I almost* feel bad for the kid, anything short of averaging 20 points and 10 rebounds per game and people are going to be disappointed.

(*except I can't fee bad for any dirty beakers)