NCAA Basketball 2013-14

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
He gets to move from Tennessee to California. I feel like that alone would be worth a pay cut.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Cuonzo Martin has left Tennessee to coach at Cal

Twitter / GoodmanESPN: Tennessees Cuonzo Martin has ...
Seems like a lateral move, not quite sure I understand it.
Our AD wasn't sold on him and offered him a modest raise and 1 year extension after the sweet 16 run. He was decidedly on the hot seat before they won the play-in game and then went to the sweet 16. Cuonzo didn't like the fans getting on his ass and wanting Bruce back, and the fans didn't like the fact that his teams were either overachieving(if they didn't do well) or capable of being one of the best in the country depending on when you asked him. I mean it's ridiculous. He said earlier in the year this was one of the best teams in the country, then he says when they're .500 in league play they were picked to finish fifth or some shit and that's where they are, blah blah blah realistic expectations, etc. He's not a terrible coach and he got kids to go to class and stay out of trouble, so he has my respect and I wish him well. But his teams never got motivated to kick ass until a bunch of idiots signed a petition and they were notoriously up and down when it came to effort. He even said in the Cal press conference that the petitions was like "poking the bear" insinuating it made him somehow coach better or some shit I don't really think makes any sense, although honestly they played like dogshit until it happened so it's probably true. I guess maybe your 1.6M salary isn't enough and it takes some disrespect to motivate your team. Anyway, I'm glad we're moving on. The roster was going to implode next year anyway, this just saves us a buyout. Like 85% of our scoring and rebounding graduated, and we have no young guys showing anything to look at other than Josh Richardson and a 5 star who redshirted this year. Every player he made the run with this year was a Bruce recruit basically, and they're all gone now. He got out while the getting was good. If Cal wants a coach who will be on the bubble every year and graduates student athletes they could do worse.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Reports are Mizzou's coach Frank Haith is going to Tulsa. So now Tennessee and Missouri are both looking for coaches.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, he was getting worse every year at Mizzou, he had 1 more year tops if that trend continued. So I guess getting 3-4 more years for sure at a smaller school for less money is better than only 1 more year at Missouri. He took a pay cut of about half a million a year to go to Tulsa, lol.

His first year at Mizzou he was 30-5 with our previous coach's players(Mike Anderson), got a #2 seed in the tournament, and shit the bed and lost the first game to a #15 seed.

2nd year at Mizzou, he still had a few of those players left, went 23-11, got a 9 seed in the tournament and lost immediately in the first game

This past year(his 3rd) he went 24-12 with pretty much all his own players, and missed the tournament completely

Our two best players this year(Jordan Clarkson and Jabari Brown) are both going pro as Juniors, so he had very little coming back next year, his future was screwed.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Our new coach is a monster on the recruiting trail Two top 100 guys already and a juco all America, and a five star transfer from Houston is considering us.