Neil Peart - RIP

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Fuck, this blows. =-/ Someone I know used to name his characters Rushisnotagoodband , not because he disliked Rush but because he knew it would consistently draw the most hate hah. Such a great sound.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I hope that before his cancer got advanced he had a lot of time to spend with his wife and young daughter, especially after what happened with his first daughter and common-law wife. Spending time with them was a major reason he wanted to stop touring (along with how tough his playing style was on his joints). I'm just wrecked over this.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
This is a massive loss. Up there with Bowie and Prince.

We lost a true legend today. Can't be overstated how influential Neil was on Music.

Stunning. Can't say enough at how how of a blow to this world losing Neil is.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Listening to La Villa Strangiato right now. Goddamn Neil slays this one.

• 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
IIRC he wrote the majority of Rush's lyrics.

He did.

Glioblastoma multiforme. He didn't have much of a chance; in fact, he was very lucky to hang on for three years given that particular diagnosis. It's basically the pancreatic CA of brain cancers.

This sucks. This fucking sucks.

• 2Solidarity

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
He was the Drummer's drummer... I took a nap and then saw this news on FB. Immediate sadness 😭😭😭

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
An drummer of such almost unparalleled skill , in one of the best/classiest bands in Rock. I was always amazed at how effortless he made his displays of virtuosity appear. RIP.

• 1Solidarity

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
He did.

Glioblastoma multiforme. He didn't have much of a chance; in fact, he was very lucky to hang on for three years given that particular diagnosis. It's basically the pancreatic CA of brain cancers.

This sucks. This fucking sucks.

Damn, yeah--that's the same kind that got my brother. 3 years is incredible, that's 2 years longer than even hopeful timelines. My brother was a marine when he got sick--tip top shape, and didn't last the year. Its a fucking vicious disease. God damn, cancer sucks.

• 3Solidarity

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Huge fan and he was one of the great drummers of all time. Caress of Steel is one of my all time favorite albums.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
FB_IMG_1578775511678.jpg

Neil Peart and Bill Bruford

• 1Mother of God

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
As with many of you, I am still really struggling with this one. I remember the first time I ever heard this band as a 10 year old. Moving Pictures right when it came out. My best friend's older brother had the album and it seemed so mysterious, unlike anything I had ever heard. A year later I was in band playing violin in elementary school but all I remember was the drummers talking about Neil doing 1/64ths on the snare in certain songs and they didn't get it. How did he make it seem so easy. All I knew was that it was fast, and seemed effortless. Then Signals, and that sounded so different but spoke to me in the same way. It was always Rush after that, no one ever held a candle to what they pulled off until I kind of lost it after Roll the Bones until Clockwork Angels. In 8th grade I took up bass and try to play it to this day, so Ged is my god, but Rush is such a freak accident of three virtuosos you have to laud all three. There won't be a band like this again, and I am so fortunate that I got to see them on so many tours when they were so different yet so mature as musicians. And I am so glad I spent money I didn't have to follow them around for the western US part of the last tour including the closest I ever got at the Forum (7th row!) for the last show ever. Thank you Professor for a lifetime of memories and music.

• 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The power trio will always hold a special place in my heart because of this band. I subconsciously hold every power trio in a higher regard. King's X, Muse, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Police, Primus, The Aristocrats (you prog cats would love these dudes), Cream, Adrian Belew Trio, Oysterhead, Green Day (fuck haters, those first few albums are legit), Khruangbin, Nirvana, Wood Bros.

If some of you have never given Muse a chance I highly recommend it. It's a unique blend of Rage Against the Machine, Radiohead, and Queen. But in a power trio format. A top tier modern rock band that I think a lot of Rush fans would respect. Not nearly as proggy but they fucking rock.

• 2Solidarity

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
If some of you have never given Muse a chance I highly recommend it. It's a unique blend of Rage Against the Machine, Radiohead, and Queen. But in a power trio format. A top tier modern rock band that I think a lot of Rush fans would respect. Not nearly as proggy but they fucking rock.
They put on a hell of a live show as well.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like