NeverGrind: EQ inspired, browser-based single player RPG

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Heal took my whole mana bar and only returned like 10% hp lol.
gotta get them alteration skill ups before it becomes effective, i'd imagine.

also, re: the redirect... there is likely a way to alter file names in your browser's cache folder or w/e so that you can transfer your characters over to the sans-www domain.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Played this a bunch last night while medding on my cleric:

Tried to play bard multiple times. Extremely weak early game. Literally nothing I could do against Orc Hatchetman in first quest area. Completely outscaled current bard starting efficiency. I think I got to my 5th bard remake before calling it quits on the class. Bard is even weaker than cleric. Initial DoT song consumes mana.. second song doesn't. Bard DoT song in eq classic doesn't consume mana. Makes it unsustainable for chain pulling.

Ways to beat it: Keep rerolling until you get a couple armor drops off the starter mobs, or an upgraded weapon of some sort. Very RNG based early on.

(all skills maxed for the level, chained initial mobs as far as I could to maximize xp)

Switched back to Cleric and am now level 9ish chain pulling comfortably.

Will Continue trying to make Bard work in Hardcore tonight.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bard becomes almost laughably OP once you get your aoe Magic damage song sometime in the 20s iirc, then stays OP until the end of Hell where they drop off again.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Rocking a dwarf paladin right now. Crushing faces after this dropped on like the 5th mob.
rrr_img_92595.png

Vitality

HUSTLE
Finally got Bard past the orc hatchetman on hardcore (got lucky with armor drops) took 8 attempts.

Things are going way better now that I have the HP regen song.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I am loving the heck out of this as well; will be donating whenever the funding kicks off.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Liking the game mechanics and everything. I really wish the loot was cleaned up though. I am level 65 playing through Nightmare currently and I do not see the point of noobie gear dropping constantly. Yes, I know you can filter it out, but why spam so much trash drops in the first place? Also, I think for the speed of the progression, there is far too much useless junk drops. Stuff that's useless 5 levels into the game continues dropping the next 95 levels of the game. Why??

Aside from that, great work on this! Pretty fun time waster, though it is blocked from my work due to "Uncategorized Website", whatever that means.

I also had a very EQ-esque double death. Stood toe to toe with a trash boss and we both died at the same time! lol

rrr_img_92772.jpg

Vitality

HUSTLE
I think he's going for the Diablo feel of loot. So trash stuff is standard. (he even uses the midi file for the d2 paladin sanctuary aura for the bard heal song)

Maelfyn_sl

shitlord
I think that was your pet getting slain after you died. You didn't die twice or am I missing something? You know I considered programming it so you could pass out with negative health, regenerate health, pop back up and win the fight. I always thought that was a great mechanic and I can't think of any other game that did that.

Maelfyn_sl

shitlord
Btw, pretty significant change coming this weekend: Tier 2 talents cannot be accessed until level 12. Tier 3 talents cannot be accessed until level 24. Tier 4 talents cannot be accessed until level 36. This patch will reset your talents for free.

Maelfyn_sl

shitlord
lol, I need to replace those D2 sound effects. I meant to replace them all. Some are too familiar. I did leave in the EQ bone crunching noise though. I thought it was subtle enough.

Vitality

HUSTLE
lol, I need to replace those D2 sound effects. I meant to replace them all. Some are too familiar. I did leave in the EQ bone crunching noise though. I thought it was subtle enough.
Totally fine, D2 sound effects are super nostalgic. As long as they aren't copyrighted lol.

Maelfyn_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I love them too. But you don't want to piss off the wrong people as a small indie. Publications might write you off over something that trivial.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Yeah, I love them too. But you don't want to piss off the wrong people as a small indie. Publications might write you off over something that trivial.
I'd be extremely surprised if any of the publishers you'd get in a meeting with have even played D2 or any of the games you referenced.

Most of them are talking about the next levels of candy crush.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think that was your pet getting slain after you died. You didn't die twice or am I missing something? You know I considered programming it so you could pass out with negative health, regenerate health, pop back up and win the fight. I always thought that was a great mechanic and I can't think of any other game that did that.
Both myself and the mob died at the exact same time. No idea why.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think he's going for the Diablo feel of loot. So trash stuff is standard. (he even uses the midi file for the d2 paladin sanctuary aura for the bard heal song)
I am just saying, its a ton of useless junk loot, even at the 50+ game. As in stuff I wouldn't put on a level 5 character.

I wish the item drops would scale appropriately with levels and stop dropping such a mountain of useless junk.