NeverGrind: EQ inspired, browser-based single player RPG

Maelfyn_sl

shitlord
Do you think I should share this over at p1999? I am a bit surprised there hasn't been a thread like this one over at their forums.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Edit2: NEVERMIND. It's under options to turn on your own damage messages.

DERP DERP

It's annoying as shit that melee hits are in the combat log, but none of your hits are. I want to know when I auto attack, and see it in the log, not just see a number pop above the Orcs head.

Edit: Although as a caster, within a couple short levels I saw this want diminish. I was casting all the time, so it didn't matter, but if this carries over to a melee class, then I think it would continue to be a problem.

Crone

So what can we do to make your race matter more in terms of looks? Much of games like these are looks, but I never see myself. So I have no idea if an armor piece looks good or bad? This could lead into set armors later? You know exactly the sets... Crafted... or the Planar armor sets.

Also, maybe make it easier explaining why as a Necro I can wear leather and plate armor? Do I not get the bonus from those, but can put it on? This was confusing.

Maelfyn_sl

shitlord
So what can we do to make your race matter more in terms of looks? Much of games like these are looks, but I never see myself. So I have no idea if an armor piece looks good or bad? This could lead into set armors later? You know exactly the sets... Crafted... or the Planar armor sets.
That's actually a stretch goal. If the game performs well after server accounts launch I would love to put in character art. It would probably be in the style of something like Phantasy Star II, but a bit more modern and it would look like the monster art work.

rrr_img_93373.jpg

Also, maybe make it easier explaining why as a Necro I can wear leather and plate armor? Do I not get the bonus from those, but can put it on? This was confusing.
Yes, I think this is unusual, but I honestly think this is a wonderful game mechanic. You have the freedom to wear anything, though you incur penalties to skill haste and casting haste. Check your Offensive tab on the character sheet and you'll probably see a penalty there. Sometimes you find a unique item that is so good that you don't mind the haste penalty. Note that the heavier the armor is, the more of a haste penalty you incur.

Example: If you're a Necromancer wearing full plate, your cast times are going to be atrocious. It actually checks your class and how heavy every piece of armor is to determine your cast times. But if you're just wearing a few pieces of leather, the cost is very slight.

Crone

That's pretty awesome! I do like that mechanic. Does it explain that anywhere in game? I never saw anything, so I could have just missed something by mistake.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
In at Veteran, although when I did, I didn't realize that RR was populated with Whaleishcious Daddy Warbucks Legends. I will need to search my feelings and do a save against peer pressure.

Maelfyn_sl

shitlord
Thanks for the support, Rhinohelix. This forum is been my #1 supporter even beyond my friends and family. lol... honestly blown away by the support. I'll do my best to add more glorious features in the future. I really want to make the game more social. That's a big goal of mine.

Crone

Thanks for the support, Rhinohelix. This forum is been my #1 supporter even beyond my friends and family. lol... honestly blown away by the support. I'll do my best to add more glorious features in the future. I really want to make the game more social. That's a big goal of mine.
Some kind of co-op support, or further expand on leaderboards to generate competition. And competition that is meaningful, and not just a list of poopsockers.

I'm thinking co-op and competition plugs from some of the most popular mobile games. Game of War, Clash of Clans. People get addicted into building their base, and then get addicted into rebuilding it because someone rolled in and destroyed it, and then they have the option for revenge, etc.

Maelfyn_sl

shitlord
Insane traffic spike yesterday. 5401 visits and I think the message was up to like 2100+ unique characters online. That's as much as like a classic Everquest server.

Maelfyn_sl

shitlord
competition plugs from some of the most popular mobile games. Game of War, Clash of Clans. People get addicted into building their base, and then get addicted into rebuilding it because someone rolled in and destroyed it, and then they have the option for revenge, etc.
Can you elaborate on this a bit? I was considering adding a speed run category. lol... not sure that's a great idea for this game.

Crone

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I was considering adding a speed run category. lol... not sure that's a great idea for this game.
Well leaderboards would be a start, and I assume as this gets further along, the leaderboards will start to flesh out. As I play more, seeing my Rank increase will be pretty cool. Different categories will help this as well. Levels is a very much a poopsock/hack versus non poopsock/hack kind of thing. I don't have 12 hours a day to play, so I'm not level 99, therefore no chance to get on leaderboards. This sucks, so more categories to at least get on the board, is nice. Because even if I'm rank 4458 outta 5000, at least I'm "on the board" and can work to improve on that.

Make a reason for different builds for classes. This goes a ltitle beyond just competition, but let's take for example Everquest Drudis. Your spell specialization. Did you group most of the time as a back up healer? Spec Alteration. Did you solo most of the time with your DoTs? Spec Conjuration. Were you crazy? Spec Evocation. lol. Point is, depending on your play style, or situation you would spec different.

So what about a seperate dungeon that got harder with ranks? A survival mode per say? You would probably spec different for that, than going through the normal game? At least I would hope. Same with spec'ing for solo play versus group play in an MMO. The trick is pulling this off with out ability bloat.

In some of the mobile games, there are ways to get points. Usually that means through beating other players, and you rank up by getting more points. You join a guild, and now you rank up as a guild with the aggregate of your points. What's the hook in this game? Find the hook. Expand from the hook to get people going.

Speaking of guilds, there isn't co-op play, but being able to join a guild, and then have some benefits with being in a guild would be neat.

Rambling, and it's not very organized because I'm at work but I hope you can get some useful outta my post. Thanks for your hard work.

Maelfyn_sl

shitlord
Thanks Crone. Yes, I am always dreaming up new ways to improve the game. I think the combo ratings may go along with what you are talking about, no? There's a new leaderboard that rates the best combos in the game which is basically a leaderboard for skilled gameplay instead of quantity of gameplay.