Neverwinter: PC

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Healing is either tag-and-cast or AE based. The sole 'direct heal' requires the cleric to initiate the spell then tag all the people he wants to hit with the heal and then release. Other forms of healing are in the form of a debuff placed on mobs that causes people who hit them to heal, or another debuff that heals anyone near that target, a PBAOE heal and a ground effect placed healing circle. Because the lions share of the healing is due to where you stand (area or proximity to a target) positioning of the group and stacking of players is a huge thing.
Seems like a cool system, maybe I should pick up NWO again and try a cleric.

axeman_sl

shitlord
I still wake up sometimes in the middle of the night, drenched in sweat and screaming from the terror that is my memories of playing this criminally awful game.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I had fun with it, even bought the fastest mount in the game for the 20.00. Was worth it due to all the travel. I may start it back up again but tradeskills is what really killed the fun for me(even though I automated it via the webclient plugin)

If they are going to make you grind tradeskills with a time restriction at least make the stuff you can craft for your level be useful.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
There is no tag and cast system. The direct heal works by pointing your reticle at the player and casting your heal. nearly all healing is from Astral Seal or Astral Shield though.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Combat is action-ish and fun, quest hubs galore which is bad, nice dungeons (but quite easy during levelling, you can even duo some with your companion if you're very patient).
Not your usual bloated hotbars MMO combat, works quite differently from the standard WoW system.
It's free, so you can't go wrong with it, just play 20 or so levels and see if you like it.
Just don't play Guardian as your first character, you can't go wrong with the others. I play hunter ranger mostly, with a bit of trickster rogue on the side.

As a caveat, think twice before spending points for powers: you can respec talents with astral diamonds (aka AD, main currency), but you can't respec powers unless you use Zen (RL purchased currency). You can technically buy Zen with AD at outrageous price for a levelling character. Nothing game breaking, but it's better to know beforehand.
I have a level 35 char with about 50k AD, should I buy Zen with them I could buy about 140, to respec you need 300. It's true you can get more AD while levelling, but it means doing all the daily dungeon, daily foundry (player-made content) and daily skirmish and often I don't have enough time to go through all that.
In shorts, I can't afford to respec till 60, not a big deal as I never really felt it was required.

Kaljin

N00b
A buddy of mine started playing this and thinks it's the bees knees. Is it worth playing?
They have some cool ideas.

I played it but it got stale pretty quick for me.
frown.png
But my wife enjoyed it more than I so you never know, give it a go.

axeman_sl

shitlord
A buddy of mine started playing this and thinks it's the bees knees. Is it worth playing?
It's your standard cookie-cutter cash grab F2P MMO from Perfect World. Some things about it are okayish, but for the most part, it's a garbage game with a few decent gimmicks that in no way carry the game, unless you're the kind of gamer who can be satisfied with a game just because it has nice controls or something. NWO has practically no meaningful content and every single aspect of the game is designed with the sole purpose of getting you to use their cash shop, usually by making the gameplay hugely irritating if you don't.

Syringed_sl

shitlord
Learning that 12 to 20 slot bags in their item store cost $6 to $10 dollars real money was enough for me to uninstall this piece of shit. You get a grand total of 2 small bags during questing in addition to your 30 slot starter bag. Even if you do enjoy throwing money at the item shop; A lot of people I pugged with had to stop frequently to adjust their limited bag space in dungeons. An indirectly frustrating experience that makes dungeon runs a lot slower.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Learning that 12 to 20 slot bags in their item store cost $6 to $10 dollars real money was enough for me to uninstall this piece of shit. You get a grand total of 2 small bags during questing in addition to your 30 slot starter bag. Even if you do enjoy throwing money at the item shop; A lot of people I pugged with had to stop frequently to adjust their limited bag space in dungeons. An indirectly frustrating experience that makes dungeon runs a lot slower.
Never understood why folks do that. Just unstack something to fill up all your slots before you go in, and all the loot you need/greed falls into an unlimited space overflow bag. at the end of the run, just re-stack 2-3 items so you have room to loot the 2-3 items from the quest rewards chest. I've ended up with like 6 rows of shit in the overflow before we hit a lull and I could vender it all away/combine shit.

Next time you go to town, you just restack things, and start shuffling things out of overflow. It's still extra steps, but it's steps you do on your own time, not on your groups.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Neverwinter is a testament to just how far fun and engaging combat mechanics can take an otherwise steaming pile of Freemium McMMO shit.

Still playing daily and its been what, almost 10 months.

The game can get grindy farming the end dungeon over and over and over again for very good (no longer the best) end game weapons to sell to other players so that you yourself don't have to spend $. Or if you have more money than time you can be one of those players who buys zen and trades it with other players for AD.

I've dropped about $120 bucks on the game for the 2 packs (guardian and feywild) which are the only things that can't be bought by simply playing the game. That works out to about $12 a month i've spent so far.

badlok

N00b
Never try that game and i love Ad and D so i'll give it a try as soon as a got back home from work in 10 days!

I don't know how i miss this one though

roddo_sl

shitlord
I've been playing a few weeks, as a hunter ranger. Got 150k AD, epics that grow with me and I make money by buying and selling stuff. Haven't spent a dime of real world money. I'm level 42, got lucky on some drops and learned early how to use the auction house to my advantage with literally no risk, high reward. I've pretty much soloed the entire time, done 3 dungeons and 2 pvp fights, rest is all solo. To me I play it like an offline game, and am having fun. When i stop having fun, I'll sell my AD and quit.

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Been playing since July and have been enjoying the game. The combat is fun, the instances feel like a "dungeon" and the graphics are nice.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Got a hankering to load this up again after PAX (they had a big display last year but were absent this year entirely) and I am honestly shocked at how little has changed from the launch until now. They added two "modules" of content that seem to be worthy of a monthly update rather than half-a-year update and only added in one class (Hunter Ranger). Gear seems to have not progressed appreciably in the intervening year and the entire game seems to be sort of skating along on minimal freemium cash shop upgrades.

The game is still entertaining but I really have no idea how they haven't released 6-10 new classes by now as well as a plethora of added content.

Neverwinter announces its fourth module, Tyranny of Dragons | Massively

Neverwinter announces its fourth module, Tyranny of Dragons

First person who mentions Game of Thrones in the comments gets a downvote. I'm serious, try it.
Stupid dragons. They think they're so special, with their wings and their breath weapons and their intelligence and their hides like armor. Sure, maybe all of that is pretty special when you think about it, but that's not the point. While we can't be sure just yet, though, it's a fairly sure thing that the next Neverwinter module will indeed allow you to put some dragons in their place; after all, the next module is dubbed Tyranny of Dragons. Seems like it would involve some draconic influence there.

Tyranny of Dragons is due for release on August 14th, 2014. Unfortunately, we have no further details at this time outside of the fact that it will include dragons and will tie into the overarching story of the same name moving through the Dungeons & Dragons product line. Regardless, you'll want to get your best dragon-slaying shoes on for late summer because it's high time you showed those dragons what you think of them. (They're not so big.)

Caliane

But... YOU mentioned it. downvote yourself!

Are the player made modules any good yet? or are the tools/rewards still far too limited to be any real fun?

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why can't the reward be the experience of playing through a mission someone else spent time creating?

I tried playing this again the other day and I just cant be pulled into it. No mouse zoom kills it fof me.

Caliane

Why can't the reward be the experience of playing through a mission someone else spent time creating?

I tried playing this again the other day and I just cant be pulled into it. No mouse zoom kills it fof me.
Building a dungeon/maze with no loot is just stupid.
No mimics, no puzzles with artifacts, etc.