New Amazon/Daybreak MMO

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'm in favor of giving money to M&M, but keep Ponytail and the crew as far away from it as possible.
Didn't Shawn start all this? Dude was Assistant Lead Designer on PoP, and Lead Designer on LDoN, LoY and OoW - game will be fine.

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Didn't Shawn start all this? Dude was Assistant Lead Designer on PoP, and Lead Designer on LDoN, LoY and OoW - game will be fine.
3 of the 4 of those expansions were awful. PoP was incredible from start to finish, the rest...very lackluster.

LDoN - instanced garbage
LoY - was that the map and frog expansion?
OoW - 75% of the community quit before they even saw that expansion with just how shitty GoD was + the release of WoW / EQ2 in that same time frame.

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
3 of the 4 of those expansions were awful. PoP was incredible from start to finish, the rest...very lackluster.

LDoN - instanced garbage
LoY - was that the map and frog expansion?
OoW - 75% of the community quit before they even saw that expansion with just how shitty GoD was + the release of WoW / EQ2 in that same time frame.
OoW was fantastic, but unfortunately nobody really saw it because most had fucked off to WoW.

LDoN was fucking amazing considering where MMOs were in terms of "instancing" back in 2003 - sure, it isn't great by 2021 standards, but in 2003 it was way ahead of its time. Only AO really had instancing back then, but that game was a mess.

LoY sucked because SoE gave them like 3 months to churn out another expansion.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Loy added some really good qol fixes that people just associate with pop now. It was an extremely good expansion for what it was; hot garbage if only looked at for its literal zone content.

Oow was quite possibly the worst expansion for class balance in the games history. At the time it came out it was even worse than now, where its basically murder for a ton even still on tlps when it hits. The raid content was basically a step down from god. It gets love for epic 2.0s for whatever reason but in practice it blows.

Then you get into how shit ldon was for raiding at first and how broken to fuck pop end game was for a year and etc. Those expacs are not ones I would be proud of. Next we'll grab the language expert who did luclin and gates...

• 1Worf

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Loy added some really good qol fixes that people just associate with pop now. It was an extremely good expansion for what it was; hot garbage if only looked at for its literal zone content.

Oow was quite possibly the worst expansion for class balance in the games history. At the time it came out it was even worse than now, where its basically murder for a ton even still on tlps when it hits. The raid content was basically a step down from god. It gets love for epic 2.0s for whatever reason but in practice it blows.

Then you get into how shit ldon was for raiding at first and how broken to fuck pop end game was for a year and etc. Those expacs are not ones I would be proud of. Next we'll grab the language expert who did luclin and gates...
Pretty sure Holly did a lot of the language stuff for Gates.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Shawn was with the game since Luclin. He was the one who made the burrower event, the only event Tigole praised.

He also was the creative head on DC Universe Online - the fact that the game is still running today - on Unreal 3, no less - should speak volumes to how successful that game's design was in its own merit. It somehow remained detached from the tomfuckery that is/was SOE/Daybreak while being part of it.

I've also personally recommended him two amazing folks from emulator communities - Nick, from PlanetSide Forever (PS1's emu), and Ali, who was working on his own EQ client prior to joining up with M&M.

He's also just a generally great guy to talk with. Upfront and honest; not something you see these days.

He has daddy Jeff's blessing. He'll be fine. M&M will do great.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lets get Planetfall but with Elves and shit and dragons flying and Triceratops mounts and Magic carpets and Roc Bombers, and wizards and their hats and staff.

Live targeting action with master of magic vibes.

• 1Weird Boner

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Shawn was with the game since Luclin. He was the one who made the burrower event, the only event Tigole praised.

He also was the creative head on DC Universe Online - the fact that the game is still running today - on Unreal 3, no less - should speak volumes to how successful that game's design was in its own merit. It somehow remained detached from the tomfuckery that is/was SOE/Daybreak while being part of it.

I've also personally recommended him two amazing folks from emulator communities - Nick, from PlanetSide Forever (PS1's emu), and Ali, who was working on his own EQ client prior to joining up with M&M.

He's also just a generally great guy to talk with. Upfront and honest; not something you see these days.

He has daddy Jeff's blessing. He'll be fine. M&M will do great.
Didn't he also do Cursed Cycle though? Cause that event was a big yikes back in the day, lol.

I think Shawn is solid and a lot of the expansions he was lead on that people think suck, I have a very different opinion of. The other thing I really dig about Shawn is that he understands an MMO can still be successful even if it's "niche" only. I really hate that this genre died because everyone started chasing the "blockbuster", rather than going back to the roots of EQ, UO, AC, etc. where even 100k players was considered amazingly successful.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Didn't he also do Cursed Cycle though? Cause that event was a big yikes back in the day, lol.

I think Shawn is solid and a lot of the expansions he was lead on that people think suck, I have a very different opinion of. The other thing I really dig about Shawn is that he understands an MMO can still be successful even if it's "niche" only. I really hate that this genre died because everyone started chasing the "blockbuster", rather than going back to the roots of EQ, UO, AC, etc. where even 100k players was considered amazingly successful.
Honestly only mentioned it because people also hated the burrower cycle, but Kaplan loved it.

Fix your goddamn buggy bullshit half-assed encounters. The amount of time we dedicated to get our keys to see this guy die and take a turn at the Emperor is just sick. To finally see Blood die only to have the ENTIRE raid DT'd from anywhere in the room was simply an insult. Blood dies, there are two earrings on the corpse, yet no matter where you are in the room, the Emperor DT's. So congrats rot on those. It's cheap enough to make a mob DT in the first place. But to have his agro radius extend to the entire room is ridiculous. So let me get this straight -- and this is how you guys envisioned this in San Diego: You spend months farming keys to get up to the room. Months farming Shissar Bane weapons (and the recipe is where?). You kill Blood while dealing with 8 other snakes in the room. And immediately after that fight you're supposed to engage the DEATHTOUCHING-FROM-ANYWHERE-IN-THE-ROOM Emperor along with the 8 snakes? Whoever came up with this sheer *fisting* of an encounter can go fuck themselves. Do me a favor so I don't waste my guild's time on this kind of jackass shit-fest again, send me an email at [email protected] when you decide to A) Implement an encounter that wasn't designed by a retarded chimp chained to a cubicle B) Get a Quality Assuarance Department C) Actually beta test the fucking thing and D) Patch it live. And please for god's sake -- do it in the order I laid out for you. Don't worry, I won't charge you a consulting fee on that one. And for good luck you might as well E) Pull your heads out of your asses. While you're at it rename the game to BetaQuest since you've used up you're alotted false advertising karma on the Bazaar and user interface scam of '01.

Fix the Emperor encounter. Fix Seru. Rethink your time-sink bullshit. Fix all the buggy motherfucking ring encounters (I suggest you let whoever made the Burrower one do this since that dude apparently laid off the crack the rest of you were smoking). Fix the VT key quest. Fix VT (just guessing it's fucked up considering your track record). Don't have the resources to fix this stuff? Move the ENTIRE Planes of Power team over to fixing Shadows of Luclin AND DO IT NOW. If you don't fix Luclin, you jackassess will be the only ones playing the Planes of Power.​

Given that Kaplan escaped the Blizzard drama unharmed, it's a good character reference.

Stench

Golden Knight of the Realm
I was today years old when I learned that Smedley works for Amazon and had his hand in on New World. No wonder I didnt like New World.

• 1Picard

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I was today years old when I learned that Smedley works for Amazon and had his hand in on New World. No wonder I didnt like New World.
Smed has never worked on New World. He is working in another studio for Amazon on an unannounced project.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Smed has never worked on New World. He is working in another studio for Amazon on an unannounced project.
Im pretty surprised there hasnt been a good leak yet on what this project is. Hes been at Amazon awhile now.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
With amazon at the helm of this and Daybreak, which never made a game themselves, at least not to my knowledge, this will be a shit fest of the highest magnitude. Amazon cant even patch New world without every patch, every single one to date, breaking shit and introducing new duping exploits.

• 1Like

Mur

Trakanon Raider
I'm betting on a huge open world mmo version of Gor.

I like to imagine the heads of several 100K blue, pink, red haired crazys all exploding at once at the reveal.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Can some of you retards stop acting like daybreak is collaborating with Amazon? They've merely hired former daybreak developers.

Half of you read the thread title and didn't even take a look at the actual article, I think.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Can some of you retards stop acting like daybreak is collaborating with Amazon? They've merely hired former daybreak developers.

Half of you read the thread title and didn't even take a look at the actual article, I think.
its-still.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity