New Atari Console?!

Szlia

Also the Lynx had a total of 74 games of which about 74 were crap. The screen was in color but was crap (the GameBoy screen was crappy in a different way, but in the right light conditions it was very comfortable). And what do you even mean with "maturity level"? Last I checked, killing God with a chainsaw happened on GameBoy!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
230px-TurboExpress-Front.jpg

Y u no tg16

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Didn't the Lynx have some sort of battery issue? I may be thinking of another real old handheld.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Also the Lynx had a total of 74 games of which about 74 were crap. The screen was in color but was crap (the GameBoy screen was crappy in a different way, but in the right light conditions it was very comfortable). And what do you even mean with "maturity level"? Last I checked, killing God with a chainsaw happened on GameBoy!

You're triggering me bro. I owned pretty much every handheld and gaming system through the year 2000 or so, and no handheld felt as "revolutionary" or was as much fun at the time as the Lynx. You dismiss the color screen as if it was no biggie, meanwhile the color/graphics is literally what elicited "oohs and ahhs" in a time when color simply didn't exist on a handheld. My Gameboy was great for a quick game on the shitter or a lengthy bus ride, but for everything in between, and especially gaming with my friends, it was Lynx all the way. Also, Chip's Challenge, Slime World, Blue Lightning, Double Dragon, Gauntlet, Ninja Gaiden-- all great from memory. Same with my Atari-ST at the time, felt light years ahead of a PC.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
You're triggering me bro. I owned pretty much every handheld and gaming system through the year 2000 or so, and no handheld felt as "revolutionary" or was as much fun at the time as the Lynx. You dismiss the color screen as if it was no biggie, meanwhile the color/graphics is literally what elicited "oohs and ahhs" in a time when color simply didn't exist on a handheld. My Gameboy was great for a quick game on the shitter or a lengthy bus ride, but for everything in between, and especially gaming with my friends, it was Lynx all the way. Also, Chip's Challenge, Slime World, Blue Lightning, Double Dragon, Gauntlet, Ninja Gaiden-- all great from memory. Same with my Atari-ST at the time, felt light years ahead of a PC.

You could do multiplayer gauntlet on a Lynx? Damn...

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I remember seeing AVP on the display TVs outside Babbage's at the mall. I wanted to play it soooooooooo badly. It looked amazing to my little child brain. I'd stand there and watch it run over and over, knowing I could never afford it or the system.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think Atari might be sadly disappointed by sales if they're looking at the NES classic as a benchmark. No other game company has the same level of nostalgia as Nintendo, and perhaps more importantly if we're talking the early Atari consoles the games don't age well. I have some fond memories of Choplifter, etc. but I have no desire to ever play them again.

• 1Solidarity

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
NeoGeo was awesome but it was ridiculously expensive if I remember correctly. That and the TurboGrafx 16 were the only two console I didn't own I think.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The Neo Geo was $650 but the fucking games costed over $200 and up.

• 1Solidarity

Szlia

I have a Neo Geo and a Neo Geo CD, but I did not buy them at the time of release. I don't have many games on those though, less than a dozen on each, but I have those I wanted. Magician Lord, Nam 75, Samurai Spirits and its sequel.... now that I think of it, I don't have the Metal Slug games, but I suspect those are still expensive.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Samurai showdown was awesome. The NeoGeo was so good at the time of release they would stick them in larger platforms at my local arcade. Dumped my fair share of quarters into Samurai Showdown.

Szlia

The Neo Geo was a strange beast. SNK made a dual system that had an arcade version (MVS) and a home version (AES). Initially, the idea was for people to be able to rent the AES and games to have an arcade experience at home. Despite the price, it seemed people clamored for the system and games to be sold (or maybe the rental business model flopped?) and so the AES and games were sold. EDIT: We are talking about Japan here, the rental model was not tried in the US and Europe as far as I know.

Other oddities to note is that the MVS systems for the arcades allowed for several games to be plugged in (wikipedia tells me there were 1, 2, 4 and 6 slots versions). Also the MVS cartridges have the same ROMs than the AES cartridges, but the pinout is different. Lastly, both the AES and MVS had a memory card slot, so you could I guess bring your score or continue your game at home after playing in the arcade? Not too sure how that would work. Hell I have a memory card and don't plug it when I play (which is not very often).

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I'd kill to have a NeoGeo. I collect games, and it's an amazing system that most people aren't even aware of. Sort of sad.

I want to know what this Atari business is, though.

• 1Solidarity

Szlia

You don't have to kill, you just have to spend money :) Maybe the market changed, but wide circulation games (which includes a lot of the classics) were pretty cheap 10ish years ago. Some games are stupidly rare and expensive though and, well, many games did not age that well or were not even that good at the time of release (like say... Ghost Pilot).