New Atari Console?!

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
You don't have to kill, you just have to spend money :) Maybe the market changed, but wide circulation games (which includes a lot of the classics) were pretty cheap 10ish years ago. Some games are stupidly rare and expensive though and, well, many games did not age that well or were not even that good at the time of release (like say... Ghost Pilot).

Market is different these days. Shit is expensive as fuck. I'm waiting for that bubble to burst honestly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Neo Geo was the Holy Grail of gaming when I was a kid. I knew I would never own one. The fact that you could take your memory card to arcades and play games there then go home and continue blew my stupid 10 year old mind.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
The Neo Geo game console and arcade cabinets game cartridges were interchangeable with each other. One of the reason for the expensive pricing.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think Atari might be sadly disappointed by sales if they're looking at the NES classic as a benchmark. No other game company has the same level of nostalgia as Nintendo, and perhaps more importantly if we're talking the early Atari consoles the games don't age well. I have some fond memories of Choplifter, etc. but I have no desire to ever play them again.

Yeah Atari games were just too primitive to ever become popular again. Nintendo was the real starting point of modern gaming IMO, Atari and the 2600 generation was more like pong, rather than modern games. Nintendo brought us classics like zelda, mario, castlevania, bomberman, I honestly cannot remember too many 2600 games other than spiderman, pitfall and frogger. Most the other good ones were severely handicapped arcade games like centipede and galaga which looked nothing like the arcade.

I bought my kids a 2600 controller that had like 50 most popular 2600 games on it and my kids were like " WTF is this shit?"

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah Atari games were just too primitive to ever become popular again. Nintendo was the real starting point of modern gaming IMO, Atari and the 2600 generation was more like pong, rather than modern games. Nintendo brought us classics like zelda, mario, castlevania, bomberman, I honestly cannot remember too many 2600 games other than spiderman, pitfall and frogger. Most the other good ones were severely handicapped arcade games like centipede and galaga which looked nothing like the arcade.

I bought my kids a 2600 controller that had like 50 most popular 2600 games on it and my kids were like " WTF is this shit?"

I think even the NES is right on the edge for the younger than 30 crowd, there are iconic games like Mario but a lot of difficult games too. I think SNES probably is the first with truly wide appeal, even if some games I loved as a kid like Mario Kart are difficult to play today.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I was going to jokingly post that I hope they include the wood paneling, then I read the article.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I was going to jokingly post that I hope they include the wood paneling, then I read the article.

That would be fucking awesome. Bring back the grain!

I feel like they're doing this ass backwards, though. Lets say they make a system... What games are going to be on it? Does Atari have any IPs that anyone would care about? Do they have any talent? How the fuck would you even transition Combat or Phoenix to the modern age?

I feel like they should have tried to start small, building good games before even considering something like this. I don't know what the hell they're thinking.

Maybe it's just an Atari brand of PCs or something?

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yah, watch them come out with a console and an SDK (free to download, based off'a Unity's model) that any game developer can use to make 2012 era games much much more simple.

I mean, I doubt it too, I'm just shitting out pies in the sky at this point.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
If all it has is the old shitty Atari games, this thing is going to bomb. No one wants to play that shit nowadays. Classic Atari games just don't have the nostalgia factor that NES games have. Anyway, most of those old Atari games have been remade ad-nauseum already and are played out.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I can remember one article I read about Pong and the newest greatest game out at the time. From the way I remember it, a couple'a kids were playing pong saying to each other unenthusiastically, "Man, I pwned you."

It seems about right. Games have evolved leap years from those days, and the fact that I was ever excited about it makes me feel old.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The Ataribox will cost under $300 and ship next spring

Atari has so far kept pretty schtum about its forthcoming Ataribox, but in an email newsletter it's now revealed a few nuggets of information that should tide fans over until the console's Indiegogo launch this fall. As the newly-released pictures show, design-wise you can expect an Atari 2600 influence with a modern twist (and yes, that is real wood). Inside, the console will be powered by an AMD customized processor and run Linux, so you'll be able to tinker with the OS and access games bought from other platforms, as well as do all the usual PC-for-TV things, such as streaming, listening to music and navigating social media.

...it has said it plans on shipping in late spring 2018, with an expected price tag of $250-$300 (£185-£225). Fans who get involved with the Indiegogo campaign, coming this fall, will be able to get their hands on special editions and exclusive pricing.​

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The Ataribox will cost under $300 and ship next spring

Atari has so far kept pretty schtum about its forthcoming Ataribox, but in an email newsletter it's now revealed a few nuggets of information that should tide fans over until the console's Indiegogo launch this fall. As the newly-released pictures show, design-wise you can expect an Atari 2600 influence with a modern twist (and yes, that is real wood). Inside, the console will be powered by an AMD customized processor and run Linux, so you'll be able to tinker with the OS and access games bought from other platforms, as well as do all the usual PC-for-TV things, such as streaming, listening to music and navigating social media.

...it has said it plans on shipping in late spring 2018, with an expected price tag of $250-$300 (£185-£225). Fans who get involved with the Indiegogo campaign, coming this fall, will be able to get their hands on special editions and exclusive pricing.​

Seems like an extremely overpriced retro pie.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I can remember one article I read about Pong and the newest greatest game out at the time. From the way I remember it, a couple'a kids were playing pong saying to each other unenthusiastically, "Man, I pwned you."

It seems about right. Games have evolved leap years from those days, and the fact that I was ever excited about it makes me feel old.

I remember when I was a kid, even before my parents graced me with atari 2600, Probably 83' or 84' they got me the original pong game from a garage sale. It was basically a console looking thing, with 2 turn knobs on it.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Had a pong game branded Montgomery Ward, before the 2600. I don't see the market for this but maybe there is.