New Atari Console?!

Terial

Trakanon Raider
The video's title? "First look: A brand new Atari product. Years in the making."

That's all we know. At this point it's unclear whether the product teased is an official Atari product, or some sort of third-party emulator.

Maybe they will have an announcement during E3

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Probably just hoping to capture NES Classic success, put out a box w/ a classic finish w/ a ton of games on it.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Probably just hoping to capture NES Classic success, put out a box w/ a classic finish w/ a ton of games on it.

There already is a 2600 classic though. It comes with 100 games or so.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Hmmm. Well, typical Atari bullshit. They can't even get their website to work right. The three buttons don't even work, at least not for me.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Hmmm. Well, typical Atari bullshit. They can't even get their website to work right. The three buttons don't even work, at least not for me.

jagheader-main.gif

This was the last thing Atari made that was "revolutionary" and "years in the making" and as expected a total and complete flop. I remember the "DO THE MATH" bit. Making such a big deal this was a 64-bit system because at the time it was all marketing buzz about being higher "bit" even though no one knew what that meant at the time. And in hindsight, if i recall, it was actually just 2 32-bit procs together, it was never a real 64-bit console anyway.

Yeah, this is probably going to be some Atari bullshit.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I loved my Jaguar, even had the CD addition, used to it to play music all the time. Jeff Minter is the man.

AvP was amazing for the time.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
They probably took a look at Nintendo and said "Shit, I mean even WE can do better than that!"

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
AVP, T2K, plus a couple others. I loved my Jag too despite the low amount of games on it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I had one too, and kept waiting desperately for AVP to come out (felt like it was delayed like 10 times). I played the hell out of that, but a lot of the Jaguar games were like really shitty tech demos and not even close to a decent game.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Huh? I thought Atari was just a name now, weren't they bought out wholesale a long time back by Activision or somebody?

Its like all the crap made in China using old US names they bought like Bell & Howell.

edit: yeah they were bought by Hasbro and now are owned by France.

Szlia

Nothing like a handheld console with a 160x102 screen that can't fit in any kind of pocket and that runs through 6 AA batteries in 4 hours!

• 1Salty

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Nothing like a handheld console with a 160x102 screen that can't fit in any kind of pocket and that runs through 6 AA batteries in 4 hours!

Heresy man. It made the gameboy look prehistoric in comparison, had an external power source, great graphics for the time, and head to head multiplayer (this was godlike at the time). The hours I spent playing Slime World and Chip's Challenge are some of the best ever.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

The GameBoy had head to head multiplayer in 200+ games... in fact a dozen games had 4 people multiplayer with a gizmo. There is even one game that allowed 16 players at the same time by chaining 4 players adapters, but I doubt it ever happened outside the devs office though.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Heresy man. It made the gameboy look prehistoric in comparison, had an external power source, great graphics for the time, and head to head multiplayer (this was godlike at the time). The hours I spent playing Slime World and Chip's Challenge are some of the best ever.

Gameboy had Pokémon... Launched with Tetris head to head and cost 89 at launch...

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Gameboy had Pokémon... Launched with Tetris head to head and cost 89 at launch...

No, it didn't. The Atari Lynx (1989) predates pokemon for gameboy by quite a bit (1996). The Gameboy actually came out in 1989, not 1996. It was black and white and had no networking capability. The only multiplayer it supported was games where player took turns when they died and such.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
No, it didn't. The Atari Lynx (1989) predates pokemon for gameboy by quite a bit (1996). The Gameboy actually came out in 1989, not 1996. It was black and white and had no networking capability. The only multiplayer it supported was games where player took turns when they died and such.

I didn't say it launched with Pokémon. I said it had it because someone said it didn't have multiplayer and that's obviously wrong. It launched with Tetris and had the link cable. And was half the cost of the lynx, games loaded faster. Doesn't matter really that it was the first 16 bit with color screen it got smoked because Tetris.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I forgot the Gameboy supported multiplayer, but the Lynx was still light years ahead in tech. It was COLOR for one, which alone was simply a huge deal at the time. The games looked/played a 1000 times better than the gameboy as well, and had a maturity level the Gameboy did not. My sisters played Gameboy, me and my bros all had Lynx's. Gameboy simply had wider appeal because of stupid Tetris, and its price point. There's no debate that Gameboy outsold Lynx-- that's a matter of established history, but the Lynx was ahead of it's time, and it died an unworthy death simply because of shitty Atari marketing and the clout Nintendo's name had.

• 1Smuggly