new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 cards released

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Is there even a good 1440p HDR gSync monitor yet? nVidia cards are the ones to get for PC gaming, but then you need gSync whereas freeSync monitors seem to be fairly wide but nvidia doesn't support freeSync. pc gaming is so fucked at the high end

You don't really "need" gsync unless you're playing at some super low frames, or a game that has a really large variance in performance. It becomes less required the higher your FPS is as shit is displaying too fast to even notice the small tears. It's certainly something nice to have (if you're willing to pay the Nvidia fuckyou tax) but I think people overstate its importance, especially ones that haven't actually tried it out.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
You don't really "need" gsync unless you're playing at some super low frames, or a game that has a really large variance in performance. It becomes less required the higher your FPS is as shit is displaying too fast to even notice the small tears. It's certainly something nice to have (if you're willing to pay the Nvidia fuckyou tax) but I think people overstate its importance, especially ones that haven't actually tried it out.

And now that fastsync is an option in your video card settings. its kind of an alternative too. There was an annoying issue with gsync and windows 10 where if you didnt run full screen, you would randomly drop to 24/30 fps. regardless of the various "fixes" out there, like disabling gaming mode etc. which I guess was designed for microsofts games? Still happened at random. Only way to fix it was to exclusively play full screen (which sucks when you have 3 monitors and like to check other shit out in games) or alt tab out and back when it happened. and sometimes the fix lasted for an hour, sometimes 30 seconds.

Freesync helped and I THINK finally nvidia/microsoft figured it out. cause I haven't seen it like I used to. Though I do know that running standard full screen helps make sure performance is optimized, but when it would do it on older games that always capped out my 144hz, it was frustrating as hell.

• 1Repost
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

It has something to do with some form of forced vsync in Windows 10 as far as I know. It causes problems when using a high refresh monitor alongside a lower refresh one, where watching a video on the other monitor can force your main display to sync to 60fps, or certain browsers & hardware accel causes stuttering and sync issues. I currently have to use chrome to watch streams on my second 144hz monitor just to prevent any issues, as Edge introduces stuttering and Firefox has the sync problem. I also have to lower the refresh of both monitors to 120hz just to avoid Nvidia's annoying bloody always-max-clock that happens when it's pushing a certain amount of bandwidth at any time.

Using a frame limiting option such as RTSS can help in some situations as well, although can also introduce problems such as 100% cpu usage on a core with some games when you're limiting to below your monitor's refresh rate. But, setting to 1 above your refresh rate can help with tearing in some games that are problematic.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
GPUs are great for a lot of physics based modeling. Fuck graphics. Let me visualize and utilize raw data from high resolution large eddy simulations in near real time

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
looking at those benchmarks the vega 64 looks like such trash.

it seems like exactly what you would expect to get by making a bigger/hotter polaris card back in 2015 or whenever the 480 came out..

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Is there even a good 1440p HDR gSync monitor yet? nVidia cards are the ones to get for PC gaming, but then you need gSync whereas freeSync monitors seem to be fairly wide but nvidia doesn't support freeSync. pc gaming is so fucked at the high end

between nvidia cards mostly only doing displayport now (I think the 2080 FE has 2 DP and 1 HDMI and 1 USB-C which is... wat), HDMI still feeling a bit wonky on the whole HDMI 2.1 variable refresh rate stuff, freesync vs gsync, HDR vs Dolby Vision everything feels like a mess.

gsync is fucked anyway. Freesync is the way to go. I don't care if they are two generations behind nVidia. nVidia is only competing with themselves at this point.

Who the fuck would pay $200 more for a monitor just because it has gysnc capability? I mean, I'm sure there are people out there... But jeezus. Just to pay $1200 more for their next highest priced video card?

WTF? I've gotta an AMD 460 in the machine next to me, and it runs everything fine. See my post above about 132 FPS vs. 120 FPS. I mean, seriously? Are we still that graphics hungry?

EDIT : For those of you that don't know, Freesync was a compatibility layer that was added on by AMD for FREE. Anybody could use it. gsync was added by nVidia, and they charged for it. Out the ass. That's why you see so many monitors with gsync capability charging so much more. I don't really have time to get into gsynch vs. freesync, but just know that freesync will almost always kick gsync's ass.

Never doubt the power of the free internet.

Last edited:

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
So...am I gonna need a 2080 so Pantheon doesn't run like shit, or not?

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Prolly gonna need a 3080, which is still in conceptual stages. Stay tuned though.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
To run Pantheon you just need a computer from the year 2001, but it will run like shit even if you could time travel and use a computer from the year 3001.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's an MMO, so you'll want to aim for a CPU that can manage twice the possible single core performance than is actually available.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wished you folks who talk about what they have and how you upgrade would also share with the class what kind of display you're running. I have a GTX 950 and I see no need to upgrade, because I'm still running just FHD.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I wished you folks who talk about what they have and how you upgrade would also share with the class what kind of display you're running. I have a GTX 950 and I see no need to upgrade, because I'm still running just FHD.
I have a 960, I play PUBG (which is horrifically optimized) and only get 60-70 fps on my acer 144hz. I'll almost for sure be getting a 2080 unless the benchmarks are just trash. Ideally I'd like to get a 1440p 144hz monitor at some point, but my current card can't run it so I haven't bothered

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

1080ti and 8700k. Alternating between a 1440p/144hz monitor and a 4k TV. The system isn't enough to power many newer AAA games at max settings to reach the full potential of either display. I either have to use a custom resolution on the 4k, or accept 70-90ish FPS on the monitor, or drop settings. No problem with older games except for MMO's though, and I play a lot of those so most of my gaming isn't being held back.

I kind of wish I had just stuck with 1080p gaming, because buying the monitor took me out of the "ignorance is bliss" aspect of gaming, and now I'm constantly chasing performance, sometimes to the point of being a detriment when it comes to enjoying gaming. But, on the other hand, playing games like the witcher 3 at real 4k on a 50 inch television is fucking amazing.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
8086k with a pair of 1080Ti's. You're fuckin right about 4K making you chase that dragon. Haven't been this power starved, eat and still hungry for more in 5-7 years.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
GPUs are great for a lot of physics based modeling. Fuck graphics. Let me visualize and utilize raw data from high resolution large eddy simulations in near real time

Point cloud visualization wtih a VIVE is cool

nu_11

What the fuck is going on in here? GSYNC and similar technology is needed at all times. I wouldn't ever want to put up with screen tearing. Vsync input lag is a necessary evil for most. But GSYNC has none of that.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
What the fuck is going on in here? GSYNC and similar technology is needed at all times. I wouldn't ever want to put up with screen tearing. Vsync input lag is a necessary evil for most. But GSYNC has none of that.

Screen tearing becomes largely imperceptible at high frame rates unless you're really sensitive to it, and vsync input lag is one of the most overblown issues in gaming except in some engines. And It's irrelevant anyways unless you're playing within the top 1% of a competitive game. Playing outside of fullscreen can help in many cases as well.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Okay that's a cool program. Had no idea that existed.
Oh yeah, work would be unbearable for me without being able to control multiple machines at once.

It's also awesome if you have a second computer just for media and streams and stuff, so you get the feel of having a second monitor don't have to worry about performance impact or screen sync issues while gaming.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you can keep capped at 120 fps, ULMB is better than GSYNC.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
It is a mess. I cannot believe we have two standards of HDR. However. And I will say this much. DV is hands down way better than hdr10. Free is free. There is no value. Like there is no value in free sync. Gsync does it better. DV does it better. But that doesn’t mean it should be gaining 200% profit. There needs to be a level set. I’m all for value and making money and having great features as a result of that. But we are in a shitstorm of bullshit when it comes to competition and that needs to stop. It’s eiehtee freeware and that gets bought by some company to stifle the competition, or its this bullshit where we see outrageous pricing and CEO’s purposely lying their ass off to back sale old tech when they know something better is coming. And that’s not respecting a customer. Either way! And the fact is. WE have the power to stop it by not buying their bullshit!

Look what’s happening to battlefield 5. Look what happened with battlefront 2. Get on the bandwagon and WE collectively can change it in a fucking heart beat.

• 1Like