new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 cards released

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Look, with some of the amazing games that have come out this generation and the last (GoW and TLoU come to mind), there's really no need for ray tracing.

Is it nice? Sure, I guess. Is it worth giving up 60-100 FPS for? No, not really.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Forget ray tracing, at least for now.

DLSS is huge.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I knew that post was going to open a can of worms :)

So in the end, with some of the prices they want for this, depending on use case, I can get more entertainment for my dollar across use cases based on money spent in my situation and the way I play games now. And believe me, my Xbox One X doesn't get a lot of the play time because the games aren't anywhere close. But, like Spronk says, for RDR 2 it may get to be the go to platform * If * the extra horsepower is taken advantage of.
I'm mostly offended by the part where you point out that you're using Klipsch for your couch gaming when much better quality components exist at that insane price point. It's like buying a Ferrari when an Audi will school it in the playground at half the price.

The RTX is just the GTX on a smaller fab process at a slightly higher clock. They're adding whistles to their bells. Sure, it'll perform better than a 1080 due to a smaller fab process, using lower power, lower heat, but they're adding additional shit to fill out the transistor count when they could just double the core count for a much higher end result. If said toys take off, it might make a difference, but just like PhysX, it's likely to just be another experiment in graphical functionality that maybe two games take advantage of.

That said, it's a good time to buy a 1080Ti if you're behind on hardware.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'll also say if it differentiates itself significantly in any way from the mining community, I'm all for it. If anything, I see code compilers looking to abuse the new ray tracing pipelines to squeeze out compute cycles for digital gold. But again, we'll see.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Same applies to the TV, plenty go for 55" rather 65" and shave almost half of that price tag off. If you buy premium you pay premium but usually there are middle grounds with a great bang for less buck. 2000 series of cards do not appear to have that and it will be a generation that gets skipped by most.
To further your point, it's the first generation of a "new tech" without proven capacity on existing pipelines. That they've even released a new product will help saturate the market when it has been stagnant as fuck for so long, allowing existing product to flow back into consumer hands. PC architecture is so far ahead of gaming design at this point, the top end has been pretty irrelevant save for those in extreme circumstances (high resolution, VR, etc). Meanwhile the mobile gaming industry is so strong they could give a fuck about an extra few fps on games they're not selling...

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Slow progress on monitor tech has been slowing things down as well. It takes years for new tech to get refined, and then even more years to become mainstream, then even more just to become affordable for your average Joe. 1080p gaming at this point is attainable by even the lower end cards. A nice bump into affordable 4k/high refresh monitors would help spur demand for more performance if it was more widespread.

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'm mostly offended by the part where you point out that you're using Klipsch for your couch gaming when much better quality components exist at that insane price point. It's like buying a Ferrari....

Lol

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Slow progress on monitor tech has been slowing things down as well. It takes years for new tech to get refined, and then even more years to become mainstream, then even more just to become affordable for your average Joe. 1080p gaming at this point is attainable by even the lower end cards. A nice bump into affordable 4k/high refresh monitors would help spur demand for more performance if it was more widespread.
Yeah what the hell is with there being no cheap options for 4k/high refresh monitors?

What is this $2000 monstrosity and why is it my only option?

ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ 27" 4K UHD 144Hz DP HDMI G-SYNC HDR Aura Sync Gaming Monitor with Eye Care - Newegg.com

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Man! I can't wait to be able to pick this up in the bargain bin of my local computer store in 4 years time once it's finally come down to the price my budget allows!

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah what the hell is with there being no cheap options for 4k/high refresh monitors?

What is this $2000 monstrosity and why is it my only option?

ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ 27" 4K UHD 144Hz DP HDMI G-SYNC HDR Aura Sync Gaming Monitor with Eye Care - Newegg.com

And it's probably a panel that has numerous issues similar to the shitty AHVA ones we're saddled with if we want 1440p/144hz IPS. It will be a decade before we see a good affordable selection of similar spec monitors like that 4k one.

• 1Like

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
And Christ that's the 1200 card. At least we didn't have to pay that much to see hairworks flop back in 2013.

ray tracing is very badly optimized in that game right now i wouldn't be so sure of that as a baseline

also dlss is a bigger deal, less talked about, not comparable to hair thingy.

Last edited:

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Forget ray tracing, at least for now.

DLSS is huge.
It sounds pretty amazing...on paper. I'm very interested to see real world results on it.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
And it's probably a panel that has numerous issues similar to the shitty AHVA ones we're saddled with if we want 1440p/144hz IPS. It will be a decade before we see a good affordable selection of similar spec monitors like that 4k one.
Why a decade?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Why a decade?

It's a guesstimation, but one I don't think is too far off if you look at how long it takes for the various monitor techs to penetrate the market. The 1440p/144hz IPS panels for example are the same panel that has been around for years, are still plagued with various issues, and still pretty damn pricey all things considered. Mind you I'm speaking of mass availability in relation to it being a common enough component in people's systems to actually encourage more GPU power. The vast majority of PC gamers are still using 1080[/60hz, which doesn't exactly encourage a hard push except for marketing purposes.

Something like 3 years for there to be at least 3 4k/144hz options, with another 3 for refinement/more panels, and then 3 for significantly lower prices isn't too far fetched IMO.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
ray tracing is bvery badly optomized in that game right now i wouldn't be so sure of that as a baseline

also dlss is a bigger deal, less talked about, not comparable to hair thingy.

I want you to be a customer of whatever I decide to sell now or in the future.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users