new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 cards released

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Dude...You're good for the next five years at 1080p.

Yeah that's why I am not in a hurry. But my wife really needs an upgrade shes still using my old 560ti. So one of us has to get upgraded. Luckily she plays stuff like the Raft so its not been a huge deal.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Yeah that's why I am not in a hurry. But my wife really needs an upgrade shes still using my old 560ti. So one of us has to get upgraded. Luckily she plays stuff like the Raft so its not been a huge deal.

Don't know how much your looking for but, even 1050's(at 4gb ram) are below 200$ now easy fast upgrade...

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
NVidia is releasing their own 55-65" G-Sync TV/monitor combos its kinda weird, I saw them at CES they call them BFGD's lol 4k, 120hz (true), HDR (1k nits) with gSync but the price is probably gonna be 4k+

edit: looks like delayed till Q1 2019 (wat a shocker) and $5k+
NVIDIA BFGD Gaming Monitors Arriving in Q1 2019 For Around 5000 Euros

lol while reading about the bfgd i came across this article from 2 months ago
Nvidia CEO: No next-gen GeForce GPUs for a 'long time,' but G-Sync BFGDs are coming soon

When reporters asked when the new GeForce GPUs will launch, Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang responded, “It’s a long time from now.”

Last edited:

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
have strange feeling it's cause of the panel problem that even Acer and Asus had with the HDR capable ones, interesting kinda sad only a couple companies are making them, someone could make a killing if they could push production further.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Don't know how much your looking for but, even 1050's(at 4gb ram) are below 200$ now easy fast upgrade...

He'd be much better off getting at least a 1060. I have a 1050ti and it's not as good as a 970. Other than less power consumption, less heat and being tiny. The price difference between the 1060 and the 1050ti is negligible considering the power difference. I really wish I had done that myself, especially since I bought mine right before the stupid price jump. Only paid $140.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Those Nvidia big screens are rather silly when it comes to monitor usage. The amount of distance you need to be from the screen to give you proper view distance for a 55" is significantly more than the average desk provides, let alone a 65". It would need to be mounted on a wall or on-top of another surface behind the desk, with the desk pushed back. My desk has a depth of 26" and I had to have it a foot away from the screen when I tried out a 50" TV as a monitor. I'm not sure the non-desk PC users are a large enough pool of customers to make it a feasible product, and they're excessive overkill as a console display.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
4K is great for TVs and it's decent for consoles (much rather have 1080p60, as always). For PC I couldn't give a single fuck about 4K--I just want an improved version of this: that is 1440p UW, 144Hz, still has FreeSync, and isn't curved. There's a couple models that come close but each of them is missing something important. Hopefully by the time they finally get it right they'll add HDR into the spec sheet as well, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Those Nvidia big screens are rather silly when it comes to monitor usage. The amount of distance you need to be from the screen to give you proper view distance for a 55" is significantly more than the average desk provides, let alone a 65". It would need to be mounted on a wall or on-top of another surface behind the desk, with the desk pushed back. My desk has a depth of 26" and I had to have it a foot away from the screen when I tried out a 50" TV as a monitor. I'm not sure the non-desk PC users are a large enough pool of customers to make it a feasible product, and they're excessive overkill as a console display.

Turn your desk sideways

• 1Worf

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Wait, wont you get the upgrade and the wife gets your old card?

• 1Worf

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Wait, wont you get the upgrade and the wife gets your old card?
Yes. I just dont badly need an upgrade. My card still plays everything pretty well. Going to wait for a good price on something. Hopefully in the next few months.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
4K is great for TVs and it's decent for consoles (much rather have 1080p60, as always). For PC I couldn't give a single fuck about 4K--I just want an improved version of this: that is 1440p UW, 144Hz, still has FreeSync, and isn't curved. There's a couple models that come close but each of them is missing something important. Hopefully by the time they finally get it right they'll add HDR into the spec sheet as well, but I'm not holding my breath on that.
"Isn't curved" is the tough part. Curved ultrawides generally look fine as long as the curvature isn't too sharp.

Argarth

On the verandah

That's my current monitor. Ultra-wide is so fantastic for gaming, I could never go back, regardless of resolution. Fortunately, a 1080Ti allows me to run most games on Ultra with maxed out AA in some form or another, and even DSR in those that support it. I still see a few minor issues with text and UI in some titles, but can easily live with those for now.

Basically waiting for the same upgrade features you described. Hopefully will see it when many more titles begin taking full advantage of the FPS benefits from Vulcan and DX12.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don't have any experience with ultrawides, but always assumed they were just a gimmick for gaming where you're powering a bunch of extra pixels that are in your peripheral vision, and not worth the lack of support they suffer. Are they really that much more immersive as some people claim?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
There's plenty of good 1440p options, even some ultrawides. Unfortunately, none of them have HDR.

4k HDR at high refresh is very hard to pull off. Both of the ones heading to market have a 500 dollar custom FPGA built in just to handle the processing.

ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ 27" 4K 144Hz G-SYNC Monitor: True HDR Arrives on the Desktop | Teardown and Hardware Analysis

BenQ EX3501R 35" UWQHD HDR10 Gaming Curved Monitor 100Hz FreeSync 4ms Port HDMI USB-C Its FreeSync but for the price its doing well for me - i'll be damned i pay 2k for a monitor thats under 34 inches!

Argarth

On the verandah
I don't have any experience with ultrawides, but always assumed they were just a gimmick for gaming where you're powering a bunch of extra pixels that are in your peripheral vision, and not worth the lack of support they suffer. Are they really that much more immersive as some people claim?

I guess you would have to see the difference for yourself to be convinced, but I really meant I will never buy another non-UW monitor. The "immersion" is real. :D

The unsupported bit is mostly a myth now, unless you are frequently playing games that are well over a decade old. (or perhaps some low budget indie titles?) Oldest tiles in my current library would be UT3 (2007) and NWN2 (2006) and they are both UW native. Most others I'm sure can be sorted with a simple tweak from over on Wide-screen Gaming Forum

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I guess you would have to see the difference for yourself to be convinced, but I really meant I will never buy another non-UW monitor. The "immersion" is real. :D

The unsupported bit is mostly a myth now, unless you are frequently playing games that are well over a decade old. (or perhaps some low budget indie titles?) Oldest tiles in my current library would be UT3 (2007) and NWN2 (2006) and they are both UW native. Most others I'm sure can be sorted with a simple tweak from over on Wide-screen Gaming Forum

Could the same sort of immersion be achieved by just using a standard 16:9 monitor, but at a larger size & closer? Or is there something specific about the UW aspect ratio that makes the difference?

As for the support thing, I was mostly refering to things like cutscenes etc... But, I also don't go a month without seeing several games having "doesn't support UW" reports. Which is fine, the same thing happens with 4k or high refresh rate support.

Argarth

On the verandah
"Isn't curved" is the tough part. Curved ultrawides generally look fine as long as the curvature isn't too sharp.

I'm assuming that "curved" PC monitors are going to follow the current trend in the TV market, and eventually go the way of the dodo.

Argarth

On the verandah
Could the same sort of immersion be achieved by just using a standard 16:9 monitor, but at a larger size & closer? Or is there something specific about the UW aspect ratio that makes the difference?

As for the support thing, I was mostly refering to things like cutscenes etc... But, I also don't go a month without seeing several games having "doesn't support UW" reports. Which is fine, the same thing happens with 4k or high refresh rate support.

No, you can't achieve the same thing in 1080p, because with ultra-wide you get to see MUCH more of the actual game world. Since the world is not stretched, the "feeling" of playing in a bigger game world is real, and having that constant peripheral vision in effect while moving around also enhances that feeling. (at least for me)

Just take games like D3, WoW, and DOOM because everybody knows them. Holy shit, the visible difference in the world "size" just from sitting back in my chair and looking on for the first time blew me away. I can force D3 to play in a 1080p box for example, and it looks like shit now. =) It's really hard to convey the difference in words though.

You are right about the cut-scenes, but I don't find the black bars on either side very jarring anyway, and easy to ignore after a while. Went through my games list, and out of the 54 I have installed currently only "Doorkickers" forces play in a 1080p box. That's a top down 2D Indie title anyway, so no loss really.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Depends on the game.

Top down strategy games or MOBA it's completely irrelevant. Anything first person, fuck yeah.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm assuming that "curved" PC monitors are going to follow the current trend in the TV market, and eventually go the way of the dodo.

I wouldn't think so. We've started buying them in our business, in 2016 we ordered 50 Dell U3415W as a one time deal for one of our locations, and as more and more people from HQ (where I'm at) visited that location and saw these, they also wanted them and were no longer happy with their 24" FHD displays. By today we've probably bought around 150. I know of quite a few coworkers who are also gamers who as a result have gotten curved UW displays for their home gaming because of how much they like working with them.

lawyers are so fucking entitled...

• 1Like