new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 cards released

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Depends on the game.

Top down strategy games or MOBA it's completely irrelevant. Anything first person, fuck yeah.
Maybe not MOBA since they probably call it cheating if you're playing against non-UW (no idea really, I despise the entire genre), but in a game like PoE it's "I'm never going back" night-and-day difference. Like I said a couple days ago, I have to play in a 1904x816 window when I use a normal 1080p display now.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Maybe not MOBA since they probably call it cheating if you're playing against non-UW (no idea really, I despise the entire genre), but in a game like PoE it's "I'm never going back" night-and-day difference. Like I said a couple days ago, I have to play in a 1904x816 window when I use a normal 1080p display now.

Had never thought of using a custom resolution with windowed mode to check it out. Gotta say, WoW looks pretty damn spiff at 3840x1600. I had considered buying that nice Alienware UW a while back. Think I'll take another look at it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
In ultrawide first / third person, is the stuff rendered on the 20% of the left/right of your monitor so stretched out that it represents in only a miniscule gain in field of view?

I have three monitors at home and tried rendering on all three, and the stuff on my left/right monitor was just stretched out horribly.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think you display it in some obscure ratio on those ultrawide monitors, so its not skewed at all. Not all games support obscure ratios like this though.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
That was probably an issue with eyefinity/nvidia surround. An actual ultra widescreen resolution will extend the rendered view, not stretch anything.

Was looking at the Alienware I mentioned and remembered why I decided against getting it. Yet another high end IPS monitor plagued with panel problems.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its funny, just briefly checking on some prices on Amazon, the 1080s are going for 450-500, and the 1070s are going for same price, lol.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In ultrawide first / third person, is the stuff rendered on the 20% of the left/right of your monitor so stretched out that it represents in only a miniscule gain in field of view?

I have three monitors at home and tried rendering on all three, and the stuff on my left/right monitor was just stretched out horribly.

Eite: Dangus on 16:10

screenshot_0100[1].jpg

and on UW
yl8pnyy[1].jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's not skewed at all, if you enable free looking and turn left and right, it looks just like that on a regular 16:9/10 resolution.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah I couldn't find two easily comparable screenshots of the same ship.

nevermind, someone actually did that job already

TBH it would be a whole lot more obvious both were the same size vertically instead of the UW screenshot being cramped a bit more to be just as wide as the regular 16:9 one

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That looks pretty good.

A good example of what I'm talking about is in this video

It looks cool and immersive, but kind of loses its value when you realize that your left monitor is displaying like, 20% of the field of view of your center monitor, and it's just stretched out to kingdom come.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
That looks pretty good.

It looks cool and immersive, but kind of loses its value when you realize that your left monitor is displaying like, 20% of the field of view of your center monitor, and it's just stretched out to kingdom come.
Which pisses me off because one of the features I was most looking forward to with the 10xx series was the perspective correction tech when using multiple monitors. Dont think I saw a single game that supported it.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's pretty ghetto, but I'm testing out the format using my 50" 4k TV as a display for the ultrawide resolution in windowed mode, with a black solid colour desktop and a blacked out title bar on the game window, and taskbar hidden, serving as a makeshift letterbox. The screen is large enough that the window ends up being about the same size as a 34" ultrawide. Red Green's spirit lives on in tech.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I don't think this will be the case. With a TV you're far enough away that the curve really is just a gimmick, but with a monitor you actually do get a feeling of immersion from the curve. I have a 35" curved ultrawide now and I had a 34" non curved ultrawide before; the 34" is sitting in my basement storage now. The curve makes a dramatic difference, for me at least. No chance I could go back to a flat display (especially ultrawide) while there's no chance I would buy a curved TV

Edit: meant to quote someone saying they thought curved monitors would go away and messed it up on my phone, too lazy to fix it

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That looks pretty good.

That sounds like an issue specific to multi-monitor setups rather than a single UW monitor. What's the resolution in that archage video, I presume 5760x1080?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I never have any issues with my single ultrawide, as far as image warping / aspect ratio looking weird.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
[H]ardOCP: NVIDIA Controls AIB Launch and Driver Distribution

First and foremost, NVIDIA has demanded that its AIBs tell NVIDIA who will be reviewing the AIB's custom RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti cards. We were forwarded emails from other reviewers, from the AIBs that were asking specifically, at NVIDIA's direction, "Who will be performing the review content?" "What is that person's phone number and email address?" That is a bit odd, as we have never seen this before in 20 years of reviewing video cards. AIBs in the past have been left to pretty much operate their own review campaigns on new video cards, but that seems to have come to an end. From these lists of reviewers submitted to NVIDIA by the AIBs, NVIDIA has put together its own list of "approved reviewers," and sent their approved list back to the AIBs in order to let them know who they are allowed to sample review cards to

These fuckers need to be reined in

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users