new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 cards released

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I think some of it is people are more willing to forgive a 300-400 dollar card having an RMA but when I just shelled out 1200 bucks and it doesn't work well fuck you.

No kidding, that was only 300 less than I paid for my new rig with a 1070 2 years ago.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I'm thinking about getting a new monitor + video card

monitors I'm considering:

And I'm leaning toward a new or used 1080 ti. Should I expect an opportunity to cheaply buy either of these things in the holiday season?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I doubt you'll find a 1080 ti for cheap unless by cheap you mean a little less than a 2080ti but maybe the used market isn't too expensive, haven't looked at those.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My boss got that Alienware monitor. It's fucking sweet. I would get one but I don't have room on my desk for that monitor plus my work monitor.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My boss got that Alienware monitor. It's fucking sweet. I would get one but I don't have room on my desk for that monitor plus my work monitor.
I'm actually not sure what I'm going to do to integrate one of those monstrosities in my setup
jxW8aXR.jpg

(bottom three are 24" monitors)

• 1Barf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
$799 occasionally on Slickdeals which seems to be the new low for the 34 Alienware monitor. I’m waiting to see BF/CM deals but I expect something in that range.

• 1Like

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I'm actually not sure what I'm going to do to integrate one of those monstrosities in my setup
jxW8aXR.jpg

(bottom three are 24" monitors)
This explains a lot.

Whats your computer setup here? This doesnt seem like the best way to do this.

Last edited:

Del

Vyemm Raider
I bought the Alienware a month ago at microcenter for $899. Sucks to see it's already $100 less. I didn't think they'd drop the price below $849 this year.

Anyway, the monitor is great, huge upgrade over my last 1080p monitor. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to 16:9 after going ultrawide.

• 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

Barely functional tech that murders performance, and all for the low low generational premium of ~$500

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
But won’t the cloud save us!? And magick up 30-50 extra fps once it processes enough dataz?!!!!11

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I bought the Alienware a month ago at microcenter for $899. Sucks to see it's already $100 less. I didn't think they'd drop the price below $849 this year.

Anyway, the monitor is great, huge upgrade over my last 1080p monitor. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to 16:9 after going ultrawide.
What's your opinion on the added value of the monitor being curved?

Right now I'm still planning on picking out a handful of monitors I like, then seeing what kind of deals I can get talked into this weekend.

Del

Vyemm Raider
Curved is not really much more than a gimmick imo. It was one of the features that I considered the least when buying this. The size, the 3440x1440 resolution, the 120hz, and gsync are the features that I care about the most. And the panel has nice color accuracy for LCD tech.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Picked up a Samsung C32HG70. Took a little getting used to the curve. I actually kind of hated the curve at first because after tens of thousands of hours staring at a flat screen you have a certain understanding of what straight lines are so it's a little weird at first looking at a curved screen. It threw me for a loop because I couldn't really tell what was straight and what wasn't, if that makes sense. But, after like 2 hours my vision adjusted and honestly I'm not even conscious of the curve anymore. So I would say don't let curved stop you from buying a good deal, you'll get used to it quickly, at least I did.

In favor of curved though, a 32" monitor is kind of big and I think the curve is a net positive for our peripheral vision. Also this monitor is really nice, I had an AOC 32" (their latest one) but the colors and details looked like crap compared to the Samsung.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Picked up a Samsung C32HG70. Took a little getting used to the curve. I actually kind of hated the curve at first because after tens of thousands of hours staring at a flat screen you have a certain understanding of what straight lines are so it's a little weird at first looking at a curved screen. It threw me for a loop because I couldn't really tell what was straight and what wasn't, if that makes sense. But, after like 2 hours my vision adjusted and honestly I'm not even conscious of the curve anymore. So I would say don't let curved stop you from buying a good deal, you'll get used to it quickly, at least I did.

In favor of curved though, a 32" monitor is kind of big and I think the curve is a net positive for our peripheral vision. Also this monitor is really nice, I had an AOC 32" (their latest one) but the colors and details looked like crap compared to the Samsung.
Do you feel like you've entered peasant mode when you switch back to a flat screen for work or laptops or whateve?R

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Do you feel like you've entered peasant mode when you switch back to a flat screen for work or laptops or whateve?R

Not at all, so far it's been completely seamless.

• 1Like