new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 cards released

gak

<Gold Donor>
I have to RMA my 2070 this weekend, AMA!

What happened to it ? Artifacts/black screen like a lot of people are getting, or it just died ?

I was just reading a thread where they link to a site that discovered the ram is running too hot on Ti versions, dunno if it applies to the rest of the product line:
Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

n.gif

• 3Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
What happened to it ? Artifacts/black screen like a lot of people are getting, or it just died ?

I was just reading a thread where they link to a site that discovered the ram is running too hot on Ti versions, dunno if it applies to the rest of the product line:
Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

View attachment 181454

Freezes/black screens 3 times in a row trying to play Black Ops (made it 2 minutes or less, 1 freeze on cinematics and 2 on gameplay) and then I couldn't boot to windows any more, just black screen when it got past bios options. After reinstalling windows and spending a few days troubleshooting (with help from dom and argarth) haven't been able to get drivers installed at all for it but my old gtx 680 works flawlessy in my new system with all the other parts.

I got the MSI gaming Z because of the OC and reviews on it (saying close to 1080ti) so even if underclocking would work that's basically me giving away the $100 price hike vs a base card for nothing.

I'm hoping when I get the replacement it actually works (and doesn't die after a month or something, too) otherwise I guess i'll have to try to RMA for a refund instead of replacement and drop an extra $150+ to get a 1080ti or settle for a plain 1080.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Freezes/black screens 3 times in a row trying to play Black Ops (made it 2 minutes or less, 1 freeze on cinematics and 2 on gameplay) and then I couldn't boot to windows any more, just black screen when it got past bios options. After reinstalling windows and spending a few days troubleshooting (with help from dom and argarth) haven't been able to get drivers installed at all for it but my old gtx 680 works flawlessy in my new system with all the other parts.

I got the MSI gaming Z because of the OC and reviews on it (saying close to 1080ti) so even if underclocking would work that's basically me giving away the $100 price hike vs a base card for nothing.

I'm hoping when I get the replacement it actually works (and doesn't die after a month or something, too) otherwise I guess i'll have to try to RMA for a refund instead of replacement and drop an extra $150+ to get a 1080ti or settle for a plain 1080.

What build of windows are you running? I did a fresh build with an old iso and it wouldnt recognize my 2080 until I upgraded to 1803? I think.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Newest build, the drivers and everything installed fine and I watched some anime and loaded up Path of Exile for 5-10mins the first night I set it up. The issues came the next morning when Black Ops 4 finished downloading and I fired that up.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Just in case you are hit by some of the issues on the new card maybe this will help

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Have an 1080 Ti, will put up an hard pass on this generation. The value for money is just not there yet.

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Is it just the ti's failing? Or 2070 too? I might think about getting a 2070 if they aren't having failure problems

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The failure rates for the Turing cards are lower than Pascal so far. Don't avoid buying just because of the recent reports.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Most of the stuff I saw was related to 2080, mostly 2080ti but I think those came out before the 2070 by a few weeks and took a bit to start failing? In which case 2070s might start failing soon around the same timeframe from launch.

I'm assuming mine was just a standard RMA issue and not the same problems other people were having with their cards dying after a while since I only got about 4 hours of basically non-use and then it died promptly when it had to do some work.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is it just the ti's failing? Or 2070 too? I might think about getting a 2070 if they aren't having failure problems
It's all the 20xx series, but wether or not the problem is that much bigger or people are just latching on more reason to hate the card, it's still kinda unclear. One guy made a video since he works in some parts shop and the failure rates for the 20xx series in his experience(with thousands sold, not a small shop) was that they didn't fail any more than anything else.

Now on the hating part, seems BFV turned on RTX and as expected it's garbage. Basically completely kills your FPS, even the 2080ti struggles to keep acceptable framerate. It's possible it'll get refined to not suck later on but yeah, seems like shit so far.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Near as I can tell the furor about it all is due to two things. Turing has been receiving a lot of deserved hate and people are latching onto the reports of problems to add onto the dogpile, and that the problems tend to be caused by similar faults in some of the card's due to faulty memory, whereas normal failure rates tend to be a mix of problems. This leads people to attribute it to being more a core problem with the architecture than just normal hardware failures that are always present.

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yeah GamersNexus did a video saying their sources at various places all said failure rate wasn't abnormal either. I think the pricing plays a part in things, too, as far as driving the outrage machine.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I think some of it is people are more willing to forgive a 300-400 dollar card having an RMA but when I just shelled out 1200 bucks and it doesn't work well fuck you.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
New tech always has a slightly higher RMA rate at first release, "growth" problems there not uncommon.

and ya RTX mode for any game is gonna be 6 months or longer for actual optimization.

And now I'm thinking of getting a 3rd 1080 the deals are just too good right now..

• 1WTF

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Hey now. Several hundred bucks is most certainly worth the privilege of raytracing in one whole game. It's right up there with the value of gsync modules and Patton Oswalt tickets.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users