new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 cards released

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Was this posted yet?

Nvidia Claims RTX GPUs Are Much Faster Than Pascal By Deliberately Comparing the Wrong Cards - ExtremeTech

If you preorder/order does it come with this free T-Shirt?

images

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Was this posted yet?

Nvidia Claims RTX GPUs Are Much Faster Than Pascal By Deliberately Comparing the Wrong Cards - ExtremeTech

If you preorder/order does it come with this free T-Shirt?

images
That article doesn't understand how to read a chart. Even without the light green bars, the dark green bars show a 40-55% improvement in most games.

My 1080 cost me 689 dollars shortly after release, a bit over 2 years ago. A new 2080 is going to cost around 750 dollars depending on exactly which custom board you get, for around a 40-60% improvement, BEFORE accounting for DLSS.

That's fucking huge. So long as all that is true, the haters are fucking crazy here.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
That article doesn't understand how to read a chart. Even without the light green bars, the dark green bars show a 40-55% improvement in most games.

My 1080 cost me 689 dollars shortly after release, a bit over 2 years ago. A new 2080 is going to cost around 750 dollars depending on exactly which custom board you get, for around a 40-60% improvement, BEFORE accounting for DLSS.

That's fucking huge. So long as all that is true, the haters are fucking crazy here.

Did you even read the article? He is talking about the true product comparison. It should be specced against a 1080ti not a 1080. I completely 100% agree. And we are also looking a proprietary AA method in which software developers must pay for it's use, which for some reason I can't get "Hairworks" from screaming in my head every time I hear the buzzword.

So no, it's not a 50% gain. It's 1.15 to 1.25 at best, and the price value point they are milking is ridiculous.

NVIDIA is full of shit, and it's going to be shown soon enough.

It shouldn't shock anyone. This is what happens sooner or later when no one competes.

My 1080 cost me 689 dollars shortly after release, a bit over 2 years ago. A new 2080 is going to cost around 750 dollars

And the performance gains between the 480 and 680 were massive year over year and didn't move an inch in price point.

This is called conditioning.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
NVIDIA Turing TU102 GPU For GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Has 50% Better Per Core IPC

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080/RTX 2080 Ti Performance Review Embargo Ends 14th September
One more thing to add, it is stated that the performance reviews of the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and RTX 2080 have an embargo until 14th September so that is when we will be looking at the final reviewers. Also, NVIDIA hasn’t shipped the press with working drivers so for the time being, we will only have these official performance figures with us. That gives a 6-day margin for users to get the GeForce RTX products based on their impressions of the reviews.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Fucking retards keep slobbering the dicks of these Nvidia fucks, while they get the new cards shoved up their ass. They are pretty much a monopoly on gaming type cards on the market right now. And they need competition to drive those prices down or else we all get fucked.

Yeah they are great cards, no doubt, but lets not be slobbering these fucks. Realize youre getting gouged in the asshole by these cards. Dont accept a nearly 100% markup from one generation to another.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
why? they compared a 1080 to a 2080 not a 2080 ti

It was based on price point. You want to compare a 700-800 dollar card (RTX 2080) to a 700-800 card (1080ti) by all means go nuts and talk about the 1.15-1.3 performance again. They are comparing a card whose release value is 200 dollars more on release and saying it has a 1.5 performance gain. It should. It would be like comparing a 1080ti to a 1070 last gen based on price point value.

I am not talking about model to model comparisons. I am talking about the price point increase per model and comparing it based on release price (Value).

So EX: You bought a 1080Ti for 700-800. You going to upgrade to the 2080 at the same price point - it's a VERY marginal improvement from the 1080ti for spending another 700 18 months later. So instead, let's fluff this 1.5x performance gain and play model trickery thinking the public doesn't know the card they were comparing it too was 200 dollars less on launch.

It would be like me upgrading from a 7700k to an 8700k. Why on earth would I do it? And hell that price point is double the half.

• 1Like

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
It was based on price point.

which seems historically ignorant considering 1080 ti were selling for over 1k a few months ago

everyones been waiting to buy a new video card cause the price went banana's remember that? if you want best price to perf get a 10 series then cause they're gonna be discounted to move all the built up stock now that crypto moved to different setups that don't use the cards now.

if you're not a newb and want a powerful card get the new one.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It was based on price point. You want to compare a 700-800 dollar card (RTX 2080) to a 700-800 card (1080ti) by all means go nuts and talk about the 1.15-1.3 performance again. They are comparing a card whose release value is 200 dollars more on release and saying it has a 1.5 performance gain. It should. It would be like comparing a 1080ti to a 1070 last gen based on price point value.

I am not talking about model to model comparisons. I am talking about the price point increase per model and comparing it based on release price (Value).

So EX: You bought a 1080Ti for 700-800. You going to upgrade to the 2080 at the same price point - it's a VERY marginal improvement from the 1080ti for spending another 700 18 months later. So instead, let's fluff this 1.5x performance gain and play model trickery thinking the public doesn't know the card they were comparing it too was 200 dollars less on launch.

It would be like me upgrading from a 7700k to an 8700k. Why on earth would I do it? And hell that price point is double the half.
agree with this completely. I want to know how much $800 a couple years ago bought me vs $800 today.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
which seems historically ignorant considering 1080 ti were selling for over 1k a few months ago

Come on - Talking about retail MSRP not inflated prices due to supply issues because of mining.

if you're not a newb and want a powerful card get the new one.

Wouldn't surprise me if that's the new NVIDIA marketing slogan once people start waking up to their bullshit.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
agree with this completely. I want to know how much $800 a couple years ago bought me vs $800 today.

Yep exactly. So, to your point:

If you bought a 1080ti for $800, and are looking at a 2080 (Non Ti) for roughly the same price, you can expect a 18-23% performance gain.

Now I cannot speak for anyone else, but the same people talking about how great this upgrade will be (Not realizing the price point) are the same ones going off on Intel for minimum performance gains year over year and recommending 3-4 generations before upgrading. Now, I do not think it's THAT extreme yet in the video card market, but considering a Mobo and CPU for current gen runs about 450-500 and this card is damn near double the price and NVIDIA is playing the deceptive benchmark game with comparing an 800 dollar card to a fucking 550 dollar card on their respective release dates, you know they maybe learned a thing or two from Intels mistakes.

Next up: The Intel 8700k is 50% faster than the Intel 7560U. See how ridiculous that comparison is when I place an Intel name on it rather than NVIDIA's? And that's an Apples to Apples comparison of what NVIDIA is saying to their customers right now and expecting them to buy it as they laugh their way to the bank.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

This is a stupid argument.

The 1080ti launched almost a year after the 1070 and 1080 cards launched. It was a very mature technology getting high yields off the fabs. That's why they were able to bring the price point down to only 60-100 or so dollars more than where the 1080 originally launched at. The 1080ti was effectively discounted significantly because it released so late in the technology cycle.

Then sometime in the middle there, crypto-nonsense spiked the market and everyone's lost their price-memory of how the series actually released.

In this release, nvidia is pushing the whole line out at once. So you can't do an apples to apples comparison, which you're not even trying to do anyway.

So instead, you're comparing the 2080 to the 1080ti which doesn't even make sense, they're not the same class of part. The fair comparison is the 1080 at launch vs the 2080 at launch.

10 months from now, which would be equivalent to when the 1080ti launched, I fully expect the 2080ti to be around 850-900 dollars for the mid-tier customer boards, and 600-650 for the 2080.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This is a stupid argument.
100% agree. No reason to really continue the debate with confidence until we see third party benchmarks comparing the RTX2080 vs a GTX1080 Ti, or an RTX2080 Ti vs 2x GTX1080 Ti or something. Basically a dollar for dollar comparison.

Frankly I'll be surprised if the new generation can compete with the old generation, dollar for dollar.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Next up: The Intel 8700k is 50% faster than the Intel 7560U.
What the fuck are you even talking about? You just compared a 6 core unlocked desktop part to a fucking 2 core mobile part.

The 8700k is like 4-6 times faster than an 7560U in total workload throughput.

Do you even computers bro?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
100% agree. No reason to really continue the debate with confidence until we see third party benchmarks comparing the RTX2080 vs a GTX1080 Ti, or an RTX2080 Ti vs 2x GTX1080 Ti or something. Basically a dollar for dollar comparison.

Frankly I'll be surprised if the new generation can compete with the old generation, dollar for dollar.
I mean you can easily normalize performance to price (or anything) with simple arithmetic, so I don't get the argument ut is making.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
No one has even brought in TDP and performance per watt yet either, which is another reason why you can't compare across different classes of cards.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Fucking retards keep slobbering the dicks of these Nvidia fucks, while they get the new cards shoved up their ass. They are pretty much a monopoly on gaming type cards on the market right now. And they need competition to drive those prices down or else we all get fucked.

Yeah they are great cards, no doubt, but lets not be slobbering these fucks. Realize youre getting gouged in the asshole by these cards. Dont accept a nearly 100% markup from one generation to another.

So you're mad you bought AMD basically?

• 1Smuggly

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I have no doubt AMD will come up with something pretty good. They just devoted a ton of R&D dollars this cycle to catching up to Intel in the workstation and server CPU segments.

• 2Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I have no doubt AMD will come up with something pretty good. They just devoted a ton of R&D dollars this cycle to catching up to Intel in the workstation and server CPU segments.

AMD has a lot of work if they even want too think on catching up too Intel in the Server CPU market. The newer chips are fast, but not even close as stable as what Intel has done the last few generations(Hyperthreading is still garbage in a server enviroment from either of them.)

I'll just wait and see what is gonna happen, but right now I'm happy with my 1080 not really worried about all the newer bells and whistle's they've added... but like I said new hardware for me sometime next year..

• 2Like

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
AMD has a lot of work if they even want too think on catching up too Intel in the Server CPU market. The newer chips are fast, but not even close as stable as what Intel has done the last few generations(Hyperthreading is still garbage in a server enviroment from either of them.)

I'll just wait and see what is gonna happen, but right now I'm happy with my 1080 not really worried about all the newer bells and whistle's they've added... but like I said new hardware for me sometime next year..

I've just had historically bad luck with AMD/ATi, either timing of my purchases in contrast to Nvidia when it comes to video cards, or with CPU's. Sure the prices tended to be less, but every time I felt the difference, dating back to EQ. From for some reason AMD processors making bronze armor a blue color, or getting I think it was a Radeon 9800 for $500, then buying the nvidia equivalent less than a year later for $400 and nearly doubling the performance.

I know giving more specifics is useful and that was a long time ago. But I've run into similar experiences to what Folan has just mentioned more recently. Every time I figured "maybe this time it will be different" it came out feeling like a waste of money for me personally.

And sure the 2080's may be overhyped, but its still step forwards and showing what can be done and improved upon. Which is always a win. Outside of the jumping prices. But my 1070 -> 1080ti was an absolutely wonderful investment over my 980 when i did the upgrades

• 1Salty