new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 cards released

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
LOL, Yep. Now comes the "Prove it" stupidity. You have gone full retard.

I'm not going to waste my time with doing that and you know it. I don't have anything to prove here. If you don't believe me that's your issue, not mine.

I don't need you to prove anything because I already know that a 980 or sli 980s isn't going to be running BDO at a smooth 60fps on max settings. You couldn't make the video if you wanted to.

Your statements are the equivalent of me posting a few 4k screenshots and saying "Lol my 2070 runs 144hz 4k on max everything".

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't need you to prove anything because I already know that a 980 or sli 980s isn't going to be running BDO at a smooth 60fps on max settings. You couldn't make the video if you wanted to.

Your statements are the equivalent of me posting a few 4k screenshots and saying "Lol my 2070 runs 144hz 4k on max everything".

Cool. I'm glad you are so sure. Then you can move on.

I could explain how to maximize your computer build (hint: there is more to a computer than video cards) but you obviously wouldn't listen.

• 1Salty

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Cool. I'm glad you are so sure. Then you can move on.

I could explain how to maximize your computer build (hint: there is more to a computer than video cards) but you obviously wouldn't listen.

(hint) You're the fucking retard here. You started this out of nothing.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
While Grim1 Grim1 can be a tard at times, I think there's an overreaction going on. This is what he said to begin:

This is not an aggressive post in any way. It was only after he got flak for that post that he got salty/snotty (as did those talking to him).

THAT was not an aggressive post, but like Dom and ZH have not so nicely pointed out, it is very misleading to say the least. Subsequently everything Grim1 posted after that was making making Dom and ZH's points...and aggression started on Grim1's part.

Here where he is wrong. Putting it politely as I can.

1st...the power curve is not ahead of the software. That to me means the latest games at the latest reasonable high res for gaming. That right now is what BF5? Deus Ex at 4K res? Or maybe even the custom res he is running across his three monitors. Pulling those two games out of my ass. I'm sure there are more taxing games.

2nd...playing a 6+ year old game at max res kinda proves...nothing. His card even on release dates, were out after Warframe maybe 2 years? Never mind he has two them in SLI. That doesn't say to me hardware ahead of the software power curve.

3rd...You can not post SCREENSHOTS to prove you are playing at 60FPS. Especially those that he posted. We are PC gamers. We KNOW what we are looking at. Even if his initial screenshot, like he stated was pulled at random, the 1st thing that crossed my mind was...Dude it's Warframe and there is no action. So it wasn't unreasonable for Dom to equate the screenshot, with the point Grim1 was trying to make. And what does his screenshot prove? Get a benchmark up there at the least.

I don't think anyone is mad at his system. Quite frankly the goal is to get as much as you can out of your system for as long as you can. He's done that. Seriously kudos. BUT all Grim1 had to say was ..."The games that I MYSELF play require no need for an upgrade."

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
(hint) You're the fucking retard here. You started this out of nothing.

All I did was post about how hardware has been ahead of software for a few years now. That little jewel brought on the rath of morons who for some reason think that's blasphemy.

Heh. Sorry you all don't like that little factoid. Don't see why it bothers you so much. What in that statement could possibly make you so insecure?

Brahma Brahma

I wasn't posting to prove 60 fps. I was posting to show how cool Nvida surround is. The 60 fps thing was just an observation point about how good tech is still to this day.

The reaction from people here went full retard and I still don't understand why.

• 2Salty
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
All I did was post about how hardware has been ahead of software for a few years now. That little jewel brought on the rath of morons who for some reason think that's blasphemy.

Heh. Sorry you all don't like that little factoid. Don't see why it bothers you so much. What in that statement could possibly make you so insecure?

Brahma Brahma

I wasn't posting to prove 60 fps. I was posting to show how cool Nvida surround is. The 60 fps thing was just an observation point about how good tech is still to this day.

The reaction from people here went full retard and I still don't understand why.

You overreacted, thats all it is.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Gotcha...But the confusion stems from:

I run 3 screens a 7680x1440, Nvidia Surround on games that support it. Can maintain 60 fps with max settings at that res even on most new games. Although the fans start cranking with games like Battlefield V, etc.

Strix 980's in sli and Samsung 850 Pro ssds. Keeping it to 60 fps has a lot to do with it. Use this system for print artwork as well as gaming so the monitors are only 60hz. High refresh color calibrated monitors were not available when I built the system. The nice thing about the Strix cards is that the fans rarely turn on unless really taxed. So it's also a very quiet system.

The emphasis of your post was on maintaining that 60FPS.

Now that you pointed the reasoning for the posting of the screenshot. Yeah...it is pretty sweet.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
While Grim1 Grim1 can be a tard at times, I think there's an overreaction going on. This is what he said to begin:

That is not an aggressive post in any way. It was only after he got flak for that post that he got salty/snotty (as did those talking to him).

It wasn't taken as an aggressive post from me. I was just responding to "nothing really taxes my system" with pointing out that the game he was posting an example of wouldn't task any system, at which point he got defensive for no reason. This is tech talk and emotions or feeling under attack shouldn't play into it at all.

How a reasonable response to my post would look like: "Yeah, but this is an example of what I play, not what is available"
How an unreasonable response would look like: "Not sure what your problem is"

• 1Dislike

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 To Cost $349 US, Full Performance Leaked

Jan 15 $349 about the same as a 1080 i guess?

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2060-1080p-Gaming-Performance-Benchmarks.png

Very late reply, but wccftech is 100% complete bullshit website. It's a rumor mill aggregation website. They DO NOT do their own benchmark.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

Grim, you started a post in response to graphic settings needing to be cranked up to tax your system which was in response to you saying nothing taxes your system, and then posted a screenshot that came across as being evidence to support your argument.

How do you not understand why you received criticism (of the lightest sort) in response, and that you over-reacted to it?

I don't think you're a simpleton, but cmon dude...

Let's just chalk all this shit up to a lack of reading comprehension and rub our GPU's together in celebration of gaming or something. (Just no AMD cards allowed as that would be gay)

• 1Picard

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dom

Go reread your replies to me. You cherry picked my words and attacked me by misrepresenting my position. You didn't listen to what i originally said and instead just ran off with bullshit.

I'm done with responses to this. The original point was lost a while back and your retarded responses don't interest me. Be a little more careful next time you cherry pick and attack.

• 1Salty
  • 1Picard

Del

Vyemm Raider
Hardware isn't ahead, you're just behind on display hardware. There are 4k 144hz monitors now and the video cards haven't caught up to it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What's the recommendation for doing dual screens? I'm typically the OCD type that wants 2 of the same exact screen. So at some point, I'd just order 2 monitor upgrades, and be good. But it's gonna be a thing where I order just 1, and maybe a second one down the line. I'll take the better of my 1080p 60hz, and make the new one the main one, and the software will handle all that stuff? I also can run things in Full Screen Windowed mode? or does everything have to be in Fullscreen mode to take advantage of 144hz?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
What's the recommendation for doing dual screens? I'm typically the OCD type that wants 2 of the same exact screen. So at some point, I'd just order 2 monitor upgrades, and be good. But it's gonna be a thing where I order just 1, and maybe a second one down the line. I'll take the better of my 1080p 60hz, and make the new one the main one, and the software will handle all that stuff? I also can run things in Full Screen Windowed mode? or does everything have to be in Fullscreen mode to take advantage of 144hz?

It's mostly seemless, but software like displayfusion can make managing them easier. Using different Hz monitors will likely result in issues with the higher one being forced down to 60hz in some cases.

Full screen exclusive mode is pretty much dead at this point and most games are run in borderless windowed, although there are issues with gsync/freesync not fully working outside of exclusive at times or just having problems. That said, dual monitors still work with one set to full screen exclusive, you'll just have some annoyances trying to ineract with the second monitor as you would if you tried to alt-tab or something.

Be sure to wind up with the same Hz monitors by the time you finish buying what you want.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider

Hardware hasn't been ahead for a few generations now. I remember buying GTX 980 Ti (over my GTX 980) just so I can run Witcher 3 at 60fps on my 165hz monitor. I don't even think my GTX 1080 Ti can run Witcher 3 on ultra at 165hz. Nowadays, even CPU can make upwards 10% fps difference, and 3200 mhz CL16 ram can have 5-10% fps difference compared to 2400mhz ram (at full resolution) with all the physics going on. Just because you're on 1080p doesn't mean "hardware has been ahead of software for a few years now."

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Wonder how much longer TVs will continue to be a thing with the advancements in VR. Once VR displays get high enough quality why bother with a TV and the room it takes up when you can just pop on a headset.
I'm going to guess never, because TV is convenient and good enough for basically everyone for watching news, drama, etc.

VR may eventually replace all video game systems but it'll still take a while, maybe 15-20 years, between getting the tech right and getting the comfort right on the headsets.

Sports is the wildcard I think. If they figure out a way to broadcast real-time sports in anything resembling VR, that seems like a killer app.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Using different Hz monitors will likely result in issues with the higher one being forced down to 60hz in some cases.

Be sure to wind up with the same Hz monitors by the time you finish buying what you want.

Slight derail but i'm currently running two different Hz monitors and i've never heard this before, can you elaborate? Which cases would this occur, not while playing games I would hope?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Slight derail but i'm currently running two different Hz monitors and i've never heard this before, can you elaborate? Which cases would this occur, not while playing games I would hope?

It usually happens with win10 and watching a video/stream on one and playing a game on the other. Win10 forces vsync system-wide due to its dwm setup. Its not always the case due to different browsers and settings, but is a well known issue.

• 1Like