new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 cards released

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've got a 970 now, and want to upgrade, but when I do , I also want to upgrade to new monitors. The price point on the 2060 is nice, and would be a great upgrade for me, however there's nothing I play that is lagging behind on the 970 at the moment. Plan is to wait it out another year, and get something then. Hopefully from AMD!

Main reason I haven't upgraded also (980's), nothing really taxes my system even now. The new cards / cpus are definitely an improvement over mine and normally I would be upgrading by now. But we seem to have reached a magical era where the power curve is way ahead of the software.

Probably will build a new system with the 10nan intel chips when they finally get that figured out. End of this year it looks like.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Main reason I haven't upgraded also (980's), nothing really taxes my system even now. The new cards / cpus are definitely an improvement over mine and normally I would be upgrading by now. But we seem to have reached a magical era where the power curve is way ahead of the software.

Probably will build a new system with the 10nan intel chips when they finally get that figured out. End of this year it looks like.

Pretty sure you have to increase your graphic settings first if you want to actually tax your system. I noticed a VAST improvement from my 980 -> 1070/1080 especially when i went up to 1440p monitor and a higher refresh rate.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Little is going to tax any slightly recent card if you're still running 1080p60hz. Its old tech and is low end no matter how you slice it.

If you want a reason to upgrade, then it's time to get out of the mid 2000's. Move up to higher res and/or refresh rates.

• 2Like
  • 1WTF
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Could sli titans do it?

edit: they're hitting 120 barely with sli'd ti's here, what would that take 2 card gens to do it single card?

Last edited:

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty sure you have to increase your graphic settings first if you want to actually tax your system. I noticed a VAST improvement from my 980 -> 1070/1080 especially when i went up to 1440p monitor and a higher refresh rate.

I run 3 screens a 7680x1440, Nvidia Surround on games that support it. Can maintain 60 fps with max settings at that res even on most new games. Although the fans start cranking with games like Battlefield V, etc.

Strix 980's in sli and Samsung 850 Pro ssds. Keeping it to 60 fps has a lot to do with it. Use this system for print artwork as well as gaming so the monitors are only 60hz. High refresh color calibrated monitors were not available when I built the system. The nice thing about the Strix cards is that the fans rarely turn on unless really taxed. So it's also a very quiet system.

20180516182625_1.jpg

20180510200229_1.jpg

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Warframe isn't exactly the most taxing game. It uses a lot of stylized graphics to cover up what is otherwise a pretty old looking game. I think it uses something like 50%ish of a 1080ti at 4k with everything cranked up to max.

• 1Picard

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's just an example of a game. It was an easy screenshot to bring up.

Not sure what your problem is here. Do you need me to post every screen shot I've ever taken?

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's just an example of a game. It was an easy screenshot to bring up.

Not sure what your problem is here. Do you need me to post every screen shot I've ever taken?

What? You said you had no reason to upgrade as nothing taxes your system, are suggested to that you aren't playing stuff that could tax a system, and then you provided an example of something that wouldn't tax any recent system, to which I was pointing out that it's not a good example of why you might want to/should upgrade.

I don't have any problem at all, I'm trying to point out to you that you might not be having any issues with your current card because you aren't playing something that COULD tax something better.

I never understand why people get so fucking sensitive when it comes to talking about their systems.

• 8Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 8 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What? You said you had no reason to upgrade as nothing taxes your system, are suggested to that you aren't playing stuff that could tax a system, and then you provided an example of something that wouldn't tax any recent system, to which I was pointing out that it's not a good example of why you might want to/should upgrade.

I don't have any problem at all, I'm trying to point out to you that you might not be having any issues with your current card because you aren't playing something that COULD tax something better.

I never understand why people get so fucking sensitive when it comes to talking about their systems.

Christ you are a little bitch. I also said that the new cards would be an improvement and that new games like Battlefield V kick the fans pretty hard in at that res. Piss off and get a clue.

• 3Salty
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Christ you are a little bitch. I also said that the new cards would be an improvement and that new games like Battlefield V kick the fans pretty hard in at that res. Piss off and get a clue.

Keep on getting angry at basic discussions about graphics power. I'm sure that will work out well for you.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 6 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I usually get angry at liars. Keep misrepresenting what i've said and I'll continue to call you out. Or you can grow up.

• 3Salty
  • 2Picard
  • 2Seriously?
Reactions: 6 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
My SLI 980s can handle a 7(more maybe?) year old game at 60 fps, RTX cards sux! checkmate atheists.

• 4Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Little is going to tax any slightly recent card if you're still running 1080p60hz. Its old tech and is low end no matter how you slice it.

If you want a reason to upgrade, then it's time to get out of the mid 2000's. Move up to higher res and/or refresh rates.

Yeah, but going 4k isn't that huge of a visual improvement. Maybe my eyes are old or whatever. It's a noticable difference but the "WOW!" factor is low.

And you've got to get new monitors for it which cost more than the card. It's a lot of money for not all that much value*

Seems like they're gonna have to start pushing VR or some sort of holographic novelty setup. It looks like there's a real terrace here in diminishing returns. I'm sure that in 30 years what they have will make our stuff look like we think it looked in the 70's, but that's a much longer timescale than the advances we saw between like 1995 and 2005.

*That value part is entirely relative/subjective, obviously.

Last edited:
  • 3Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Could sli titans do it?

edit: they're hitting 120 barely with sli'd ti's here, what would that take 2 card gens to do it single card?

I wonder if it still does 120hz even when in dual-input PIP mode.

I could just use half the screen for gaming and half for my work laptop. That's still 1440p 120hz HDR, which is better than basically anything available right now.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, but going 4k isn't that huge of a visual improvement. Maybe my eyes are old or whatever. It's a noticable difference but the "WOW!" factor is low.

And you've got to get new monitors for it which cost more than the card. It's a lot of money for not all that much value*

*That value part is entirely relative, obviously.

It really depends on the game. Some shine with 4k and some you can't tell the difference. The way I look at it is that refresh > resolution if you play anything that involves fast camera movement or requires input/reaction speed. Resolution otherwise if you play games that have fine detail in the image.

I've had a lot of experience over the past couple years using pretty much every mix of res/hz that's available and I can say confidently that there are no overall best setups as it just depends on too many variables (user pref/game/performance available/budget etc...)

Right now I'm just 4k60hz and I'm happy with it but I wouldn't be if I played FPS games or anything fast. It's working out well with MMO's because while there are some camera movements, they tend to be limited, and the higher resolution makes some of them shine (FF14 for example) and I only slightly miss my old 144hz setup. There's also the issue with the higher refresh rates in MMO jacking up the cpu usage due to draw calls or w/e. WoW's Suramar for example would nearly cap out a core on my 8700k at 144hz, but only uses up to 40% at 60hz.

I do agree that 4k isn't as great as some people wish/think, but 2k isn't the best option for some due to scaling issues with 1080p content, and if you want to use the same display for console usage, then 2k is a problem.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Oh, and another thing that 4K lets you do is have a big display without it looking like dogshit. 50 inch displays are great fun but even with 4k they have lower than desired PPI. 1080p would look horrible.

It's something that you'd have to see in-person to really appreciate, but playing MMO's on a 50" at 4k is fantastic, and I really look forward to the days where 4k120hz large displays are affordable.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I hear the human eye can't discern 1080p from 4k, just like you can't tell fps above 30

• 6Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Triggered
Reactions: 8 users

iannis

Musty Nester
For bigger screens, for sure.

I'm just old I guess. I don't need a Farenheiht 451 style Wall Television. I don't even want one. I guess that really is the direction we're going. It's not the worst thing.