New Orleans

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you want the mardi gras experience there will be some saint patty day parades this/that weekend that can be just as fun.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Let me know how it goes, heading there at the end of June through July 4.

Gonna do the swamp tour and try and find some good restaurants, open to suggestions.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you're doing the swamp tour in Lafitte there is an excellent restaurant right next to it called Bayou Des Familles. The place looks like a cajun cottage from the outside and the whole back wall is glass so you can dine right next to the bayou where, yes, they do sometimes have gators chilling right there on the bank in front of you. You may want to bring a change of clothes with you because the restaurant is somewhat upscale and being out in the swamp in july you will undoubtedly sweat profusely. I mean you don't need dress slacks and ties, but you don't necessarily want to stroll in, in shorts and a u-shirt either, jeans and a polo is fine.

I mentioned a few restaurants a few pages back, of them the other that I highly recommend for someone who is from out of town is Copeland's. It is really good food and a large variety of food so if you want to experiment the more local flavors you can, but they also have steak and american options for your picky eaters.

Alpha

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Let me know how it goes, heading there at the end of June through July 4.

Gonna do the swamp tour and try and find some good restaurants, open to suggestions.
Palace Cafe is a great restaurant. IMO it was better than a lot of the other places I went to and I usually do the trip adviser thing where I check out all the higher rated places.

Vitality

HUSTLE
If you're doing the swamp tour in Lafitte there is an excellent restaurant right next to it called Bayou Des Familles. The place looks like a cajun cottage from the outside and the whole back wall is glass so you can dine right next to the bayou where, yes, they do sometimes have gators chilling right there on the bank in front of you. You may want to bring a change of clothes with you because the restaurant is somewhat upscale and being out in the swamp in july you will undoubtedly sweat profusely. I mean you don't need dress slacks and ties, but you don't necessarily want to stroll in, in shorts and a u-shirt either, jeans and a polo is fine.

I mentioned a few restaurants a few pages back, of them the other that I highly recommend for someone who is from out of town is Copeland's. It is really good food and a large variety of food so if you want to experiment the more local flavors you can, but they also have steak and american options for your picky eaters.
Thanks for the input, any suggestions for managing the heat? I mean Shorts sure, but I'm from seattle, we wear flannel shirts 100% of the time.

I always hear about "Swamp Ass" from friends that travel there, I don't want swamp ass for a week.

You might think I'm joking, but do you guys like powder it up or something?

Additionally, upscale dining is kind of a routine with the GF and I here in Seattle, so I'll be looking for something more local like the bayou place you mentioned. Hopefully with crawdads etc, since they're illegal to import up here.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Only so much you can take off, so shorts and a t-shirt is about the best thing you can do to stay cool. Powder isn't a bad idea if you know you're going to be sweating.

Both Bayou Des Familles and Copeland's will have crawfish on their menu, but not just boiled crawfish still in the shell. It'll be late in the season if you're looking for that, but if it's still available a place like Acme Oyster House would serve it that way.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Only so much you can take off, so shorts and a t-shirt is about the best thing you can do to stay cool. Powder isn't a bad idea if you know you're going to be sweating.

Both Bayou Des Familles and Copeland's will have crawfish on their menu, but not just boiled crawfish still in the shell. It'll be late in the season if you're looking for that, but if it's still available a place like Acme Oyster House would serve it that way.
Much appreciated, I'll keep an eye on the difference between the boiled and open shell stuff. Haven't been in much humidity before so I'll probably have to take extra precaution. Dustin them nuts!

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
They're both boiled, just at places like Bayou Des Familles and Copeland's they will be already peeled and incorporated into a dish; whereas, what we refer to as simply "boiled crawfish" down here is the pictures you see of the platters of the red mudbugs that you peel and eat. Wasn't sure if you wanted the full experience or not. Fun fact, my wife is from Ohio and she swore she would never eat boiled crawfish and now it is like her favorite food on the planet.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
On the flip side of that I've lived in Louisiana my whole life and have never had crawfish lol.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Thanks for all the tips fellas. On a side note, is fried/grilled gator a thing in New Orleans? I've had some up here at a food festival, was wondering if I could find some interesting takes on Gator down there.

**Also I want to trick the GF into trying some of this kind of stuff**

She's been struggling to try this Bone Marrow dish I order at a local favorite. thinking it's too weird. Similar thing with the Unagi Nigiri I get at the sushi places.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Can definitely get fried alligator at any place you'd be able to get crawfish or other cajun dishes at. Grilled I don't really know. Not really sure if I've ever seen that served.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Leaving for 1.5 week trip.
image.php

Procrastinates on packing until the very last minute.
TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT
Are you going to do one of the haunted night tours?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I dunno if anyone mentioned it but Commanders Palace was my favorite restraunt in NO. Do it.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Wish I can make it. I live in New Orleans but I'm one of the few people that work. I'm stuck offshore for 2 weeks then home for 2 weeks.

Let me know if you have any questions about drinking and/or eating. I'm pretty good at both of those

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Going to the bulldog on canal blvd at 8!
Damn, thats actually the wife and I's favorite bar to go drink, much better than the one on magazine. I almost feel bad for not going now, but fuck it if I was leaving the house yesterday.