New Progression Server confirmed

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Incidentally I'm doing extensive pet parsing on Live currently. It's important for me to know how pets have changed over the years to make the best use of the data.

How exactly are Live pets different from classic?

Comparing the pet HP data in this thread:EQClassic.org View topic - Pet Information
And the damages on the p99 wiki:Pet Guide - Project 1999 Wiki
With the data I collected on Live this month:EQLive2015 Pet Statistics Lvl1-65 - Google Sheets

The HP and max hit data is remarkably similar. The most notable difference (aside from many spells being obtainable earlier) I can see is that pets dual wield earlier.
I think they nerfed mage pets a bit like 1.5 years ago. To put it in perspective you could kill Nagafen with three earth mage pets around like 45-46.

Dragoon_sl

shitlord
Seeing that an investment company bought Sony Online there is a good chance that they want immediate ROI.

If they have a half a brain they will know that a dedicated progression server will bring back the Classic fans in droves! I have emailed Columbus Nova with my work email, the prestigious LA Times ( sarcasm) , and let them know that we need a progression server.

Here is the number for Daybreak games : (858) 577-3100

Here is the contact info for the Investment company:
212.418.9600 (t)
212.308.6623 (f)

General Inquiries:
[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */

Zithax

Molten Core Raider
I'm definitely down to join in this one too, hopefully give it a longer run than I gave Fippy. Not quite sure what to play though as I don't really enjoy boxing anymore, but I guess I won't rule it out yet.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anything interesting said there? I can't watch that at work.
Short of it "We're trying to figure out what type we want to do exactly" and "we'll have to see how long that type takes to actually accomplish being put together" and "Polls in-game"

Sounds like they're not rushing it - polls they usually run for a full month historically speaking, and it's looking like since they're going to poll they're looking to try to do it RIGHT versus rushing it out.

Siddar

New poll on EQ progression server went out to all EQ players with todays patch.

1 None not interested.
2 Existing progression rule set. Players vote after current expansion has been cleared for a certain length of time.
3 Existing progression but slower. Longer time period between unlock votes.
4 Limited progression. Players vote to unlock expansion but there is a point the server wont progress to (GoD cough cough).
5 Seasonal reset server with prizes. Server rests every season and player gain rewards based upon progress made during that period, then the server is reset at end of the season.

Crone

Shit, I don't have any active accounts to participate in the poll!!

Needless

Toe Sucker
I was actually going to make a joking post they should have a seasonal reset at a certain point server... apparently they had that idea too. Definitely wouldnt appeal to me in a game like EQ but i like the idea of a limited progression server. Stop that shit at velious and reset it every year or so.

Limited progression = best option. Either velious or PoP. Maybe PoP, but keep it at velious for a long time.

Crone

I was actually going to make a joking post they should have a seasonal reset at a certain point server... apparently they had that idea too. Definitely wouldnt appeal to me in a game like EQ but i like the idea of a limited progression server. Stop that shit at velious and reset it every year or so.

Limited progression = best option.
They'd have to change some things I feel for a reset server to be fun. Things like super long camps, and poopsocking would have to go away. I'm not going to do that on a server that I don't get to keep my gear. The fun would be in the race to see how far someone could get, or whatever type of metric they would implement. That would be pretty fun.

Although, the sockers would probably be too hard to keep up with, and it would be pointless in the end anyway.

Edit: Limited progression the best? Hardly. The arguement will never be won, and the droves of past and present EQ players that are in love with those expansions will never change their mind, but to say the server would NEVER go past velious? Or PoP? You have seen how dull P99 has gotten, right? They've been stuck on Kunark for like a year, hasn't it? That would be absolutely terrible.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Seasonal server is kind of a cool idea, but would it become dead as the deadline approaches? Or would they actually have enough cool goals / rewards etc. that players would be racing and binging as the server winds down. What kinds of goals and prizes could they come up with? Whatever options they did come up with, it seems like that type of server would be the most work and would take the longest to get up and running.

These things have been successful enough in the past that you'd think they could justify opening 2-3 with differing flavors.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
You have seen how dull P99 has gotten, right? They've been stuck on Kunark for like a year, hasn't it? That would be absolutely terrible.
I thought it's like 4 years by now? It's been about that long since I played and I stopped playing like a month after Kunark opened on it.

Vaclav

I conceptually like the idea of the reset server - but it still would need protections against the negatives Crone is speaking of (and I and others have already spoken on) - but I'd hope it would be on something like a 2 year cycle or something. (Unless expansions are super fast maybe 1-1.5 years if expansions are a month each - and if they were that fast - some form of instancing would absolutely be needed otherwise half the keys wouldn't get done for content before the next opens)

Of course running with the awards concept - if they went instanced with any variant, in theory they could just as easily (if not more easily) go with "title" awards for people that "win" at uninstanced versions of content and other such epeen stuff. Again add more value to uninstanced, but create instanced so no one feels like they have to quit because they're unable to do any content.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Luclin with bazaar removed is the best cutoff for a progression server that wants the true classic experience. PoP is a good expansion, but it changes the game from what it was in the classic era so dramatically that I don't think it makes a good cutoff.

If anything I would rather see them slice and dice some xpacs with Classic, Kunark, Velious, Luclin (w/o Baz) and then skip to LDON then skip again to the mayong xpacs that started after OOW. But they prolly wont put that much effort into it.

Another round of refinements over the last progression server would be good enough to get me to play another round. The first prog server was so incredibly bad compared to the last one in terms of being true to era. I wish they had all the old zones tho, it never stopped annoying me that we had so many revamped zones on the prog servers when P99 had all originals.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I conceptually like the idea of the reset server - but it still would need protections against the negatives Crone is speaking of (and I and others have already spoken on) - but I'd hope it would be on something like a 2 year cycle or something. (Unless expansions are super fast maybe 1-1.5 years if expansions are a month each - and if they were that fast - some form of instancing would absolutely be needed otherwise half the keys wouldn't get done for content before the next opens)

Of course running with the awards concept - if they went instanced with any variant, in theory they could just as easily (if not more easily) go with "title" awards for people that "win" at uninstanced versions of content and other such epeen stuff. Again add more value to uninstanced, but create instanced so no one feels like they have to quit because they're unable to do any content.
What you need for a successful reset server is two servers. Run server 1 until progression run is completed, open server 2 and restart a fresh progression server. When server 2 has run its course, migrate the player base to server 1, then reset server 2 as a fresh progression server. You can do this infinitely. You always have a new progression server around the corner, and you never lose any of your characters because they simply migrate to server 1.

Vaclav

http://i.imgur.com/264Mwtq.jpg?1

The poll is open until March 25th. So, I could reasonably see an April or May Release......
There's no way that they're closing the poll and getting it up until at least late May - assuming it's the only poll that they'll be doing (last had three, no? Corpse runs, whether to modify the ruleset, XP table, I think?) - think about how many things would have to be debated and then programmed for the last option, not to mention potential bugs that they'll have to test for.

Dragoon_sl

shitlord
There's no way that they're closing the poll and getting it up until at least late May - assuming it's the only poll that they'll be doing (last had three, no? Corpse runs, whether to modify the ruleset, XP table, I think?) - think about how many things would have to be debated and then programmed for the last option, not to mention potential bugs that they'll have to test for.

Good point.