New World -- An Amazon MMO joint

Discussion in 'MMORPG General Discussion' started by zero_name, Sep 29, 2016.

1. zero_name Member

zero_name
    Ratings:
    +59
    Game looks and sounds interesting. Also, Amazon is sitting on literally the entire world's wallet so I'm guessing funding is going to be OK so no need to sell bloody socks.

TwitchCon_NW_Conquistador_Front_Final-630x354.jpg

-Open world sandbox, colonize 17th century North America. Want to be a soldier? Do it. Want to be a farmer? Do it. Want to colonize the world? Build. Etc. etc.
    -People's fears are true, so weird and supernatural shit is in the world and lurking in the woods, etc.
    -Whatever people do with the world and to each other (PVP I'm guessing) is up to the players

Very brief segment as Amazon Games Studios mostly focused on their new arena game that's a lot closer to launch, but it's nice to have something new on the (distant) horizon. Anyways it sounds pretty fucking good and isn't being built on the backs of crowdfunding money.

#1 zero_name, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  2. Byr Well-Known Member

Byr
    Ratings:
    +94
    It sounds like shit but im not sure if its because the game will be shit or because they went head over heels trying to get the twitch viewerbase to look forward to it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Zapatta The Bruce Lee of Re-Re DONOR

Zapatta
    Ratings:
    +3,034
    Amazon needs to re-focus on shipping my shit on time, nuff with making shitty games and going to Mars bullshit. Crap in my cart has been saying 'Shipping Today' for a whole week. Fuck Bezos, I hope Elon Musk goes into online retail just to fuck this guy every place he lives.

• Solidarity Solidarity x 1
  4. zero_name Member

zero_name
    Ratings:
    +59
    Quit shitting up my thread, assholes. This game will be the second coming of the MMO and usher in a new era of enlightenment. You will be willing participants in Bezotopia.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Palum Distrusts Banks, Europe DONOR

Palum
    Ratings:
    +4,733
    lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Byr Well-Known Member

Byr
    Ratings:
    +94
    With this focus on integrating twitch viewers with gameplay, Im not hopeful.

• Like Like x 1
  7. zero_name Member

zero_name
    Ratings:
    +59
    You should see how hard they leaned into it with their 4v4 game Breakaway.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kuro Well-Known Member

Kuro
    Ratings:
    +313
    Of course they'd choose South America for their MMO setting, gotta get that Amazon.

9. Zapatta The Bruce Lee of Re-Re DONOR

Zapatta
    Ratings:
    +3,034
    INB4 SJWs massive outrage.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Kuro Well-Known Member

Kuro
    Ratings:
    +313
    I hope it lets me charge locals fines to continue worshipping their heathen religion, then get drunk and go on a tear, stealing their idols, then charge them again to let them buy back their idols.

If not, my immersion will be minimal.

11. iannis Spooped a little DONOR

iannis
    Ratings:
    +5,037
    It's hard to say.

I remember that time the Trion tried to make a TV show about their mmo. And making it twitch interactable is very nearly the same thing.

But... if you had told us back in EQ beta that making a 3d Mud was gonna be gangbusters we would have said "No duh." If you had told the OTHER nerds they would have said "Mmm. Maybe. I dunno. I guess that could be neat." and if you had told anything resembling a normal person they would have said nothing because they wouldn't have known wtf you were talking about.

I don't think this idea is doomed. They're either getting in on the final spurt of a dying market, which I do find to be most likley, or they're adding in a new gimmick / mechanic / level of social interaction which will temporarily breathe some life (and profits) into the gasping husk.

At least it's not another elfs and orcs shitshow. It doesn't REALLY even sound like a diku. It sounds like a mush wrapped around a diku. A South America setting could be genuinely interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  12. iannis Spooped a little DONOR

iannis
    Ratings:
    +5,037
    I just want to hunt the chupacabra.

13. Kedwyn Well-Known Member

Kedwyn
    Ratings:
    +76
    Well, at least the setting and premise is different. Give them that.

14. zero_name Member

zero_name
    Ratings:
    +59
    Is Soygen a mod? Can I pay him a soybuck to add a T at the end of join?

I think the concept sounds pretty fucking awesome and it's being built by a company with loads of cash. The biggest issue is that it's a new studio taking on a dormant genre and they've basically only given us a few words to cling on to which ultimately doesn't mean much. I need to see a list of staff.

15. kegkilla Hustle. Loyalty. Respect. DONOR

kegkilla
    Ratings:
    +5,051
    i'm interested if players can play as white people along with native races. it will be a good outlet for my desire to purge the country of brown people after Trump loses in November.

• Like Like x 2
  16. kegkilla Hustle. Loyalty. Respect. DONOR

kegkilla
    Ratings:
    +5,051
    it's about time someone did this.

17. Palum Distrusts Banks, Europe DONOR

Palum
    Ratings:
    +4,733
    The snow drifts run red with the blood of people who don't quite grasp the significance of the "thunder stick" or that steel blades are better than volcanic rock daggers?

18. Kreugen Well-Known Member

Kreugen
    Ratings:
    +198
    Tech straight to Panzers, rule world.

19. Vepil Praise Kek DONOR

Vepil
    Ratings:
    +648
    At least I know where all my freaking amazon money is going now! Gives us something to talk about and look forward to again in this dead world of mmo's.

20. grumblethorn Well-Known Member DONOR

grumblethorn
    Ratings:
    +425
    haha, just do like i do. I called and bitch their stupid ass out when it sits like that and make them pay for next day shipping. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for prime 2day and watch something thats listed as in stock, sit there for 4 days before it ships.