New World

Xevy

Log Wizard
Think on paper they sound the same, but Crowfall seems more zerg ball synergy stuff and this seems more small man squad stuffs in a bigger battlefield. I've not played Crowfall though, just watched some streams.

I just remember in GW2 the RVR shit was like just massive 40v40 cluster fucks of bubble domes and fire grounds, but if you had a good 4-5 man group you could literally beat 10-20 people or at least stalemate them. The latter is more NW I feel and the former more Crowfall.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game is going to be crushing for the leveling. I'm not sure I'd advise people to go TOO hard in the beta if you plan on buying and playing at launch. I think in something like 30+ hours I got to lvl 30 and I'm pretty sure that was with the most buffed exp they had. Problem is you can't even do some of the instanced PVP stuff until 60. Kind of a shitty situation as I think a lot of people would like to try that out. You can however do Wars (50v50), but guilds would most likely kick out lower levels for higher levels if possible.

I'd definitely play with all the weapons and make sure you get to lvl 11+ with the ones you think you'd like. Don't worry about crafting too much at low level as it can be very time consuming. If you find a nice spot with good mobs and mob respawn time, grind baby grind! Quests are shit for exp and running back and forth without mounts is somewhat of a pain.

Definitely try to get 25ish though and do a dungeon. They're basic but can be challenging at points. The bosses will fuck you up if you're not ready.

Is the leveling really that slow? I don't mind slow leveling, If it takes a week or so of playing to get it then so be it. I don't need to be max level in 1-3 days. I didn't realize this game was going that route though or that you actually grinded mobs. Always felt like a "just quest to max in no time" type game.

And damn i was going to do crafting right away. Even though going to spend a ton of time gathering materials. At least you get some exp while doing it at least.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I mean it'll take hardcore players, the 12+ hour a day players probably 4-5 days to reach 60, probably. Most of us semi-hardcore nerds will be there sometime after the first week.

Crafting is poorly balanced IMO at this point, they've been tuning it but it's one of those games where it takes twelve T1 ore to make a T1 sword. Then it takes 8 T2 ore and 12 T1 ore to make a T2 sword. Then 6/8/12 etc etc etc. But the problem is you can get weapons/armor so easily and abundantly early on that it's worthless to craft your own stuff. The crafting is 100% worth it at high end to target farm perks/stats ilvl+ stuff, but unless you're just crafting to keep up with the resources in your zones its not particularly worth while.

The good thing about that system is that low levels can make money by just resource farming while they level as the resources are always needed. The bad news is that bots can do the same thing. I put in some feedback on reducing the previous tier materials as I think at the highest end a white weapon at the ilvl 300 or whatever it was (highest possible I could see) took something like 432 tier one ore to make ONE sword. That's fucked.

However salvaging items gives you a TON of ingots which are like 4 ore each so if you're just salvaging the garbo drops around your level you can net a decent amount of previous level resources.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I mean it'll take hardcore players, the 12+ hour a day players probably 4-5 days to reach 60, probably. Most of us semi-hardcore nerds will be there sometime after the first week.

Crafting is poorly balanced IMO at this point, they've been tuning it but it's one of those games where it takes twelve T1 ore to make a T1 sword. Then it takes 8 T2 ore and 12 T1 ore to make a T2 sword. Then 6/8/12 etc etc etc. But the problem is you can get weapons/armor so easily and abundantly early on that it's worthless to craft your own stuff. The crafting is 100% worth it at high end to target farm perks/stats ilvl+ stuff, but unless you're just crafting to keep up with the resources in your zones its not particularly worth while.

The good thing about that system is that low levels can make money by just resource farming while they level as the resources are always needed. The bad news is that bots can do the same thing. I put in some feedback on reducing the previous tier materials as I think at the highest end a white weapon at the ilvl 300 or whatever it was (highest possible I could see) took something like 432 tier one ore to make ONE sword. That's fucked.

However salvaging items gives you a TON of ingots which are like 4 ore each so if you're just salvaging the garbo drops around your level you can net a decent amount of previous level resources.

Yeah that's not too bad to me, the leveling. Means you actually stay in a level range or tier for a bit. Could mean low to mid level dungeons actually mean something loot wise(if those exist).

Think its better just to try to level first then come back to crafting? ANd just buy any weapon upgrades off market if you dont get them to drop. I can see crafting taking a lot of time. I remebering just gathering 1 material node was ~5 seconds and that can add up fast.

I was going to go life staff but I hear its even worse now to level with and i can't count on a partner 100% of the time. I might actually try a ranged bow/gun as I rarely if ever play that archtype in a MMO.

Xevy

Log Wizard
If you're rushing, I'd skip crafting. If you're playing casually or a moderate amount I'd do some crafting. It won't get bad until T3 and by then most people will just try to zoom to 60 I think.

I don't even remember what iteration the life staff is in. I know it's SUPER team support, can't remember if heavy/light attacks are free anymore or not. They used to be if you specced them. Unsure now. Life staffs kinda suck because they're the only spirit scaling weapons at the moment so you can't synergize that stat with another weapons like say firestaves/rapiers can. Ranged weapons are really good, but their ammo system is poorly implemented and clunky. That may just be the way they want to balance it because of how good stuff like bows are.

Firestaff/Lifestaff is a decent combo to use, can get some mana regen options in both trees IIRC. Their weapon exp system is a bit of a mystery on which gets more. We tried testing it and at one point it was the first weapon to hit the mob got the most exp, but it's changed since then and I think it tries to split exp evenly if you use both, but there's an exp scalar based on your current weapon level. So your lvl 3 life staff may get 40 exp off a mob and your lvl 5 fire staff may get 55 because on the curve it's the same amount. Weird shit like that.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So can I play this tomorrow instead of Crowfall? I dont have time today as I work all day, but I saw Crowfall already launched, and this isnt out yet no? Is it in open beta or? I will wait for this if its better, as I would rather have the small group experience.

edit: checked the site, you gotta basically buy a cop pre order to have closed beta access on the 20th.

I might just fucking buy both lol. I been jonesing for a new MMO since Asherons Call died, which was like 2007. Its literally been 14 years.

Xerge

<Donor>
I'd like for a bunch of us to meet up on one server/db/whatever when it does launch. Xerge Xerge
Anyone interested in a dedicated New World discord can head over to xerge gaming dot com, it'll redirect to the cord'. I do not care about your forum personality - don't be a shitter obv. There's create-a-channel functionality for everyone, so anyone can have their group channel for when needed. News bot in place, music bots, etc. This cord is a spot some ppl call home so act right and fucking respect it.

Pretty sure they're wiping for release; this is just the first time the public gets their hands on the game since the last preview.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Was going to check the servers right now to see if they changed weapon stuff in talent trees and there's not an alpha up atm. But what they DO have is a queue/population server screen now. They used to have population but the queue thing is new. They also have some mention of "string servers" which I'm guessing is just temp instanced servers for overflow.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Queues? There are still lines to play a video game?

Maybe I'll check back in 20 more years and see if MMOs have evolved at all.

• 4Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
There is a beta coming up? I have 2 copies preordered and havent been in the beta for a while.

Jozu

Xevy you think I should pre order this and just wait or buy Crowfall? I think this is more of my style honestly, plus they are backed by big money.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Uhhhhh, not sure. Depends on what you like. If you've got a big guild and wanna do guild vs guild shit Crowfall may better NOW, but like I said it may be a few months after release before NW hits its stride. But then again you may need a few weeks to get good gear/max level ready and feel it out. I think there will be a shit ton of balancing for PVP stuff in the first few months as well so there may be a lot of cheesedick meta shit.

I honestly can't really say. I've ordered it over a year ago and did testing a few times, but I'm unsure how this will land. I think it will be underwhelming for rushers to max level and the mid grind will be tedious, but overall might be some good times with the PVP instanced shit 50v50 or 20v20.

If you do preorder and play in this closed beta, don't go TOO hard or I guarantee a lot of people will burn themselves out early because of how unoptimized leveling is currently.

• 1Like

Jozu

Thanks for the reply bud. I might just say fuck Crowfall and ride with Bezos.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
This video popped up on my feed, and for not really knowing much about the game other than hitting this thread occasionally, I thought it was pretty helpful.

I'm definitely interested in maybe playing. It really reminds me of The Secret World based on the video. Everything's based off of the weapons that you use in a classless system. There's three different factions. Even the big PVP sounds like Fusang. Secret World was one of my favorite MMOs ever, and if I could get a similar experience out of this I'd be happy

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users