New World

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Just something simple to make that Fashion even worse:

If New World could come close to quality of character model and outfit design as this, it would probably be worth supporting.

Edit: Has the game gotten better since last summer?
Lol jesus. I didn't realize BDO had 23rd century technology for character creation.
Why did he go to all that trouble only to make her have a greasy forehead tho?

Xerge

<Donor>
Not sure I understand your thinking here. How does BDO fail in the character dev / personalization aspect (or rather, hits a triple vs. home run). The main reason I posted that vid was to show the vast difference between the default character model of the newest class Corsair (before any tweaking) and more specifically the outfits. The ones shown, aside from the flashy one with light blue, are all just basic armors. Each of them are 10x better than most armor designs in NW and 100x better than what Amazon was showcasing. It just boggles my mind.

Amazon should step away from being an actual game studio and focus on being a publisher. Go out and find creative, smart studios that have good games. Support them in a hands off way (as much as possible) or simply publish their game (like they are doing with Lost Ark).
I dont understand why you'd post a simple video from BDO stating if a new MMO isn't up to this standard I ain't touching it kinda deal. Are you that edgy. The video you posted and the video posted by NW fashion have something in common, theyre both trash to me. At this point it's one style vs another and I just ain't feelin' the BDO anime theme.

Edit: Ppl mentioning the character models in game running at lower FPS is concerning
edit2:Why shut this game studio down? That's just straight up fucking crazy. You're talking out of your bum hole right? This game studio is butter churning content faster than anyone atm. They're got a pipeline down, they're clearly just inexperienced and don't know wtf theyr'e doing though.
Edit3: while im dfay drunk and on the topic of MMOs. I think NW will take 6 months post release to find some soul still. At least it's managed to solve basic MMO shit. Poor Ashes of Creation can't even get non clunky combat and is still dealing with zombie AI server processes staying alive after shit dies.That game is fucked for a while.

Soo.. bangbros or brazzers?

Last edited:

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
It's still being worked on. The partnership with Tencent is dead but a game is still being made according to rumors.
Where have you seen this? I had my doubts they'd completely walk away from such a big project.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dont understand why you'd post a simple video from BDO stating if a new MMO isn't up to this standard I ain't touching it kinda deal. Are you that edgy. The video you posted and the video posted by NW fashion have something in common, theyre both trash to me. At this point it's one style vs another and I just ain't feelin' the BDO anime theme.

Edit: Ppl mentioning the character models in game running at lower FPS is concerning
edit2:Why shut this game studio down? That's just straight up fucking crazy. You're talking out of your bum hole right? This game studio is butter churning content faster than anyone atm. They're got a pipeline down, they're clearly just inexperienced and don't know wtf theyr'e doing though.
Edit3: while im dfay drunk and on the topic of MMOs. I think NW will take 6 months post release to find some soul still. At least it's managed to solve basic MMO shit. Poor Ashes of Creation can't even get non clunky combat and is still dealing with zombie AI server processes staying alive after shit dies.That game is fucked for a while.

Soo.. bangbros or brazzers?
Thinking that BDO's character models / outfit design is trash says a lot about your sense of aesthetics, even if you detest the game, thinking that particular aspect of the game is trash is amazing. If you're not going to put in the work / effort / creativity to make your players characters look good, why bother? Just give them some default stick figures to dress up in even worse looking armors. Also, where do you get the "anime theme" from that video, if it was a PSO2 video sure.

About the Amazon Games studio. Sure, step away from it and just publish stuff that other studios make. I still think that Lost Ark is going curb stomp New World in terms of success and longevity. One is clearly a far better game. Nothing which has been said here about NW makes me think the people behind making it will "turn it around" months / years down the road (well, maybe years). Regardless, I'll still play NW when its launched, since I didn't think it was terrible when I played last summer.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This game's strength is how fast they can make fixes/changes and put out content. It's not going to be DoA, but it's going to be one of those games that may take 3-6 months to become what it really is. Sucks they couldn't just put it back on ice and keep adding stuff, but I think after a year's delay they really can't do it again. Luckily as a box price game there shouldn't be TOO much holding people from coming back when it's set on its true course.

Most of the changes they've made were from feedback by the way. Almost everything was asked for by the early testers. They moved away from the hardcore pvp everything goes ruleset because testers said it was too griefy. Then each little change meant they needed to add something else to make it more palatable. I mean they didn't even have quests in game until 6 months or so ago and they had to because there was two ways of leveling: doing faction quests which mostly sucked or killing 100000 mobs. Dungeons didn't exist. Storyline quest was basically nothing. Bounty boards were much more limited and would actually cap out in towns so you couldn't get new ones. So they rushed the quest system and are still working on it, but yeah, it's pretty basic.

They're trying to bring back the pvp roots but they know that the population in MMOs is PVErs not PVPers so they're trying not to incentivize ganking and camping but rather make open world battle spots to congregate the pvpers. It's really unfortunate, they're doing the right stuff, but they just are doing so much so fast they can't get it to a comfortable level for anything.

But like I said previously, this game may not be a true experience until 3+ months in when they find their soul and direction. The problem will be if Amazon sees big box sales, big population drop off, and then cuts funds rather than investing in it. With only MTX as their source of money after box price it could be interesting because the more people you have the more small sales you make, but whales in games tend to be lifers.
2 months before release isn't really the time to be figuring out what kind of game you want to be. Nor 3+ months after release.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
2 months before release isn't really the time to be figuring out what kind of game you want to be. Nor 3+ months after release.

Which means that this is the game they're gonna ship, lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Where have you seen this? I had my doubts they'd completely walk away from such a big project.

I don't have a reliable source, that's just rumors I've heard from people who know people who work for Amazon gamedev. But none of them stated these things with as much confidence as:

I assure you, its dead.

So maybe Warrik knows more than they do?

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't have a reliable source, that's just rumors I've heard from people who know people who work for Amazon gamedev. But none of them stated these things with as much confidence as:

So maybe Warrik knows more than they do?

It would depend on Amazon's deal with the IP holder. Amazon paid a fortune for the rights to make the series that is in production. If they have money on the line for a game too, then it would make sense to still find a path forward. Especially since the tie in potential with the game and series is a no brainer. All speculation at this point though.

The other side of the coin is that any other mmo Amazon might make will be a competitor to New World.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Most of the changes they've made were from feedback by the way. Almost everything was asked for by the early testers.
This is a bad sign, not a good one. When the captain is so rudderless he's consulting the dumbass swabbies to plot a course through the treacherous Sea of Failed Designs you know this ship is bound for the whirlpool at the center of the toilet bowl.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Not sure I understand your thinking here. How does BDO fail in the character dev / personalization aspect (or rather, hits a triple vs. home run). The main reason I posted that vid was to show the vast difference between the default character model of the newest class Corsair (before any tweaking) and more specifically the outfits. The ones shown, aside from the flashy one with light blue, are all just basic armors. Each of them are 10x better than most armor designs in NW and 100x better than what Amazon was showcasing. It just boggles my mind.

Amazon should step away from being an actual game studio and focus on being a publisher. Go out and find creative, smart studios that have good games. Support them in a hands off way (as much as possible) or simply publish their game (like they are doing with Lost Ark).
Confidence in NW Level: I just signed up for the Lost Ark Beta.

I mean, I preordered the box, let's see how it goes. It seemed like the decision makers were making good decisions about the game for a while, and now they aren't. All we can do is wait and see where it nets out. I am sick of hanging on every word from people who don't seem to be opening many slots, and regular beta will be here soon.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
The thing I did not like about outpost rush, was not that it was not a good idea or something that didn't sound interesting, it was that it did nothing to strengthen, or even compliment, the territory war/holding mechanic.

Its just a piece of content they added. This was the big Alterac Valley (old school) call back....but again, it highlights the complete misunderstanding of the core game loop pillars and further highlights the schizophrenic identity crisis. There is no cohesive design direction. Its just throwing shit at the wall to see what slides down the slowest.

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>
Nice summary of changes so far since last preview if anyone is curious.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Game needs to triple the exp on quests. Get rid of the silly weapon swap.

Why the swap? Granted last I played was the preview weekend, but it seemed fine. Basically like any number of games that did the same thing, gw2 mainly off the top of my head. Given there were only 5 abilities each or something iirc , having more options seems good.

I would imagine if it wasnt there, people would just manually swap weapons. Since abilities are tied to weapons.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Game needs to triple the exp on quests. Get rid of the silly weapon swap.

I agree with you about the exp on quests, but I kind of like the weapon swapping now.

Just out of curiosity what would you prefer to see when it comes to using weapons? More skills per weapon?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I agree with you about the exp on quests, but I kind of like the weapon swapping now.

Just out of curiosity what would you prefer to see when it comes to using weapons? More skills per weapon?

4 skills per weapon. No pause on the weapon swap. The swap just makes the combat janky.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Why the swap? Granted last I played was the preview weekend, but it seemed fine. Basically like any number of games that did the same thing, gw2 mainly off the top of my head. Given there were only 5 abilities each or something iirc , having more options seems good.

I would imagine if it wasnt there, people would just manually swap weapons. Since abilities are tied to weapons.

If they gave us five abilities off two weapons, I'd like that even more so. Long as the cooldowns make sense.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
I haven't followed this game much, but I think weapons being tied to skills sucks ass. Why am I wrong?

• 1Solidarity

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I haven't followed this game much, but I think weapons being tied to skills sucks ass. Why am I wrong?
So instead of a Spear Throw and a Ground Slam with a Mallet, you would have.. what to differentiate weapons?