New World

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
So instead of a Spear Throw and a Ground Slam with a Mallet, you would have.. what to differentiate weapons?

Uhhhh aesthetics, preference, stats/itemization, utility (slow hard hitting vs fast soft hitting). I mean the list goes on. Do you think WoW would've been better if Kidney shot was tied to maces? Mortal Strike to swords? Ultima Online was a skill based game and there was quite a bit of weapon diversity without tethering any sort of skills to the items. Seems extremely limiting to me. Oh look a new uber sword of X dropped and I'd be willing to swap from Maces to Swords to use it, but oh fuck I lose my primary attack that works awesome with my build so I'm stuck forever using maces.....

Don't get me wrong I will be trying this game regardless, but I've yet to see tethering skills/attacks to items work out in any game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
Uhhhh aesthetics, preference, stats/itemization, utility (slow hard hitting vs fast soft hitting). I mean the list goes on. Do you think WoW would've been better if Kidney shot was tied to maces? Mortal Strike to swords? Ultima Online was a skill based game and there was quite a bit of weapon diversity without tethering any sort of skills to the items. Seems extremely limiting to me. Oh look a new uber sword of X dropped and I'd be willing to swap from Maces to Swords to use it, but oh fuck I lose my primary attack that works awesome with my build so I'm stuck forever using maces.....

Don't get me wrong I will be trying this game regardless, but I've yet to see tethering skills/attacks to items work out in any game.
Weapons are how you make your "class". Wow had classes. This doesn't until you take a weapon and specialize it.

• 1Like

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Weapons are how you make your "class". Wow had classes. This doesn't until you take a weapon and specialize it.

Yeah I get the jist, and will certainly give it a try, but again what makes that a good design decision vs. pretty much all the successful MMO's of years past?

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Yea this is a classless game that is driven by your weapon swap, which isnt a bad thing tbh. It works just fine.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Weapon-locked classes is a really cool idea, actually. Especially if they resulted in different animation speeds, damage, etc...

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
It is not a new idea. ESO has this system alongside classes. In fact the whole 2 weapons and 2 bars and swapping between them is a direct copy of ESO.

Does New World still give you the same cooldowns for an axe on one bar as a sword and board on the other? If so, fuck no.

Xerge

<Donor>
I just want to prone in a bush and headshot people with a lazer musket. This game does real hitscan for projectiles. Pewpew come at me bros

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is not a new idea. ESO has this system alongside classes. In fact the whole 2 weapons and 2 bars and swapping between them is a direct copy of ESO.

Does New World still give you the same cooldowns for an axe on one bar as a sword and board on the other? If so, fuck no.

Its been done before eso.

As for the question, I assume its not shared based on this: "Ability cooldowns are no longer global, now weapon specific."

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Its been done before eso.

As for the question, I assume its not shared based on this: "Ability cooldowns are no longer global, now weapon specific."
Yeah, didn't DAOC kind of have it too? I remember going Spears on my Hibernia Hero early on, because it was good in PvP. And spear had its own abilities separate from other weapons. Pretty sure Heros/other classes could go different weapons and get different abilities. But I can't 100% remember since I started playing casters soon after. Maybe Heroes had to use spears /shrug. But I have no doubt it existed before. I just find ESO did it particularly well most recently.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Weapon swapping in any game has never really bothered me that much. I get some people have a hang up about it, I just dont see the big deal honestly. It makes more sense in my head that certain weapons do certain things. Buys a little bit more into reality instead of the WoW side where you have 20 abilities you can use at any one time, but only end up using 4 constantly. Chuck a Javelin at someone, the knock down lasts long enough that you can get on top of them with your big ass Mace and smash them.

Regardless, I dont see New World lasting more than a month or two - so its best to play it at launch at all costs and then probably come back in 6 months when shit is thought out a bit better.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Seems weird how little hype there is for this with just over a month til release.

I'm really jonesing for something to play, but with how little anyone talks about this it makes me think it's going to be really trash.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seems weird how little hype there is for this with just over a month til release.

I'm really jonesing for something to play, but with how little anyone talks about this it makes me think it's going to be really trash.

I had enough fun on preview weekend to try again. Never hurts to try a game to see if you like it. Now whether I play this through release I dunno, the other game they are publishing might drag me more into that. Will have to see. This is august 31st iirc. Lost Ark is "fall 2021". So might be a gap to mess around with this until then if it ends up being fun.

Xerge

<Donor>

The main hype feature of NW is it's pvp node capture system. Funny enough though they haven't had a big enough test to see it in action yet. Like we're talking multiple guilds fighting over territories, declaring war, etc. The action combat is a big deal as well but it's currently meh because they removed a whole chunk of combat(their stagger system) because 2 players could stagger lock someone to death with the fast paced hatchets.

The first 3 months (like any mmo) will be a hot mess and a good time, give or take.

Edit: Not only that, after playing both AoC and NW imma fucking tell ya, there's no way in hell am I going back to the graphical fidelity of the WoW/ff14 era. I am here to accept my new draw distance overlords.

Fuck yes. It's saturday and I always drunk post on saturdays

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
I haven't preordered, but I probably will for the stress test on the 20th. I am hoping I can at least get a month of enjoyment from the game.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
This game is going to be crushing for the leveling. I'm not sure I'd advise people to go TOO hard in the beta if you plan on buying and playing at launch. I think in something like 30+ hours I got to lvl 30 and I'm pretty sure that was with the most buffed exp they had. Problem is you can't even do some of the instanced PVP stuff until 60. Kind of a shitty situation as I think a lot of people would like to try that out. You can however do Wars (50v50), but guilds would most likely kick out lower levels for higher levels if possible.

I'd definitely play with all the weapons and make sure you get to lvl 11+ with the ones you think you'd like. Don't worry about crafting too much at low level as it can be very time consuming. If you find a nice spot with good mobs and mob respawn time, grind baby grind! Quests are shit for exp and running back and forth without mounts is somewhat of a pain.

Definitely try to get 25ish though and do a dungeon. They're basic but can be challenging at points. The bosses will fuck you up if you're not ready.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users