New World

Xevy

Log Wizard
That video isn't quite a great example of int in PVP. First dude never touched him, second few were 10 levels under him, etc. Int builds are good in PVP but for mass fuckery and MAYBE if you're attack specced with fire staff just stacking burns on people and kiting them forever. One spear boy with a decent close range would've put him to shame pretty quick. Also those low levels have like 10% elemental resist compared to the big boys having like 40%.

If you've never gotten the option to respawn at your camp, you're doin it wrong. Plonk it down, build it up, hit the button to "set respawn point" and boom. You're good to go. You can use ANY camp, actually, but if the owner puts up another one at some point it fucks you because you lose your spawn point.

Sadly the biggest part of PVP right now is kiting during food restoration and potting on cooldown. They need to probably look at pots because they're OP as shit. Fighting 1v1 for 12 minutes, though neat, is not great gameplay when neither of you are defensive specced or heal specced.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I constantly use potions and food buffs in this game. It would be extremely helpful if you could just track f'n Fungus/shrooms, though. Found some great spots up around Weaver cause shrooms are just everywhere around there - but I shouldnt have to depend on one location like that. Casually gathering/harvesting should provide more if you cant track them individually.

Also, a respec on a weapon is 75 azoth for whoever asked earlier.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Sadly the biggest part of PVP right now is kiting during food restoration and potting on cooldown. They need to probably look at pots because they're OP as shit. Fighting 1v1 for 12 minutes, though neat, is not great gameplay when neither of you are defensive specced or heal specced.
This game already gave me massive OSRS vibes and I fought someone who ran around defensively and kited with pots / food.

'Safing' was a thing in RuneScape where you'd keep your health high enough to not be one-shot by glass cannons. It was a community made term for people who would just not risk anything at all. It seems like it's a legitimate strategy here to do just that.

My biggest issue with the game thus far is that I am spending a shit ton of time in animation locks, especially playing aggressive in PvP. I didn't think that'd be an issue until I really played, and now it's just /awful/ with seeing my character guard locally but on the server i've yet to inform them I am actually guarding.

Although... I think that's why I do like it to some extent. A huge double edged sword. Attacking other characters takes a significant effort to 'set up' a kill, and I think it will be interesting to see what organized groups can do in open world PvP in this game. It feels so much more rewarding when you can set up a defensible point in the game world and murder mass amounts of people as they try and take out you and your group. I loved that about WAR.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
My old (jesus, 11 years at this point) guild is getting back together to basically elderly person casual this game. And I'm on board because honestly I'm just elderly at this point (40) and I got other shit to do, all the time. We've all resigned ourselves to not being super involved in the PVP aspect, and to just sort of do the PVE stuff as it gets released.

It was a really fun week in beta; it's got some shit to work on but overall it's just got a certain something that makes us want to fuck around as a group again. And this is with our hardcore anti-crafter folks going "Yeah having to click shit occasionally sucks but I can just make this from doing stuff I'm already doing? Yeah, that's fine."

For a 40/50 entry fee, if I spend more than a few hours playing it and enjoying it, it's worth it. We spent 20+ levels fucking around in beta and ran the first dungeon, and honestly? A single week made it worth the purchase.

It has a ton of the way to go, but its current state is enough of a kernel to get our attention. As elderly folks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ismaris

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'll be playing this. Been enjoying the beta. I think most of the criticisms I'm reading in this thread seem valid, but I don't really mind the time travel takes / how large the world is. That is actually a conscious design decision that I'm into (I liked that about Vanguard). Insta travel kills MMO's, so I'm hoping they keep it expensive, however they do that.

Anyways, I didn't find details if there is an foh group playing this. I'm rolling with a few buddies from EQ/WoW, but would like to be in a larger group.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

vegetoeeVegetoee

Trakanon Raider
I like the game too. It's growing on me. The travel is great. MMO's are virtual worlds, not gaming hubs. It's good to travel and see the world built. It's bad to travel an hour and have nothing to do on the way or once you get to your destination. Things easily remedied and appears to be the case in this game. I am not a huge fan of the combat system though. It seems too whack a mole to me. Wish they'd reimplement stagger and just modify that a bit. As it stands now, I'll have to buy a new mouse every 6 months. PVP is fine, it's not horrible. Open world is a mess as always, battles are neat and lag is fine. I am wondering how the expand on this.

• 2Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Someone should take the reigns and start a new thread (or edit into the FP of this one) with information about server & faction. Hopefully start up a filthy casual guild too, since you know I won't be hanging with the poopsocks...

ismaris

Silver Knight of the Realm
I like the game too. It's growing on me. The travel is great. MMO's are virtual worlds, not gaming hubs. It's good to travel and see the world built. It's bad to travel an hour and have nothing to do on the way or once you get to your destination. Things easily remedied and appears to be the case in this game. I am not a huge fan of the combat system though. It seems too whack a mole to me. Wish they'd reimplement stagger and just modify that a bit. As it stands now, I'll have to buy a new mouse every 6 months. PVP is fine, it's not horrible. Open world is a mess as always, battles are neat and lag is fine. I am wondering how the expand on this.
I agree, the combat needs work. That said, I enjoy playing a game that isn't running on a 16+ year old engine, and I think they have put a lot of time into many underlying systems that are great. The ambience, both sound and visuals, are the best I've seen in an MMO. The combat and PvP tuning does need to happen, and sooner rather than later. The above comment by Xevy Xevy regarding how OP pots and HoT food are is spot-on. If they don't deliver engaging PvP/combat in short order, the game will really suffer greatly. I'm hoping it's on a timeline of weeks, not months.

edit: But why do we need conquistador shit? It's like, what the fuck is the lore/setting of this game? Why can't these systems be inside of a proper high-fantasy concept. I want to play a fucking peck race.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
edit: But why do we need conquistador shit? It's like, what the fuck is the lore/setting of this game? Why can't these systems be inside of a proper high-fantasy concept. I want to play a fucking peck race.
I think its because it started out as a survival type mmo game and while the rest of the game morphed more into what you see today, the base never changed. Its allright though, the whole elves gnomes and other high fantasy shit is all played out for decades now IMO.

• 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yeah, was a colonial era survival game where they found an island that had already been discovered and those pilgrims where all killed by mystical forces (and probably injuns). But they didn't have the balls to use actual races and cultures of the time. So it felt like sorta watered down lore with modern diversity-friendly generic humanoids. Imo elves and dorfs are preferred over that.

Is any of that original story still in? Or did they improve on the generic story and lore?

Could have been a cool take on the genre. Imagine an Aztec style expansion, searching for el dorado, fighting off culturally relevant legends and superstitions.

Wait, can you even be trans!?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think its because it started out as a survival type mmo game and while the rest of the game morphed more into what you see today, the base never changed. Its allright though, the whole elves gnomes and other high fantasy shit is all played out for decades now IMO.

This. Basically the reason for a lot of things in this game. No races is one of them. All the lore and other mechanics were morphed into something that works in a tradiontial mmo and that took the least bit of work to do. It's pretty good for how much has changed in this game since its start. If they decide to do more games maybe they will do better and stick to their setup the entire way through. Not 100% sure obviously but this latest iteration of the game where its trying to be a traditional mmo is only a couple years old. Hell compared to the preview weekend just a year ago its added and changed a lot.

Thankfully they are just publishing lost ark.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So the servers are down again for maintenance to deal with "server instability." Seems like they've done this almost every single day and it's done fuckall.

I'm a bit concerned here how they can't seem to get a handle on this, considering it's Amazon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So the servers are down again for maintenance to deal with "server instability." Seems like they've done this almost every single day and it's done fuckall.

I'm a bit concerned here how they can't seem to get a handle on this, considering it's Amazon.
Isn't it an Open Beta?