New World

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I am enjoying the heck of the PVE combat in the 17-21 level. The start of the game was easily the worst part, and its pretty clear the survival roots. I don't know about long-term but the only thing that will kill the game in the short-med term is the Devs and over-reacting to the metas.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
so the road to getting the best gear in this game is going to be the crafting system and not raids? does anyone know? thats make or break it for me i cant stand crafting like archage and other games

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This video about NW combat from the Preview makes a lot of sense even now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

I mean, sortof. Great vid. although, theres a reason massively multiplayer online games don't usually use time sensitive combat... fighting games capped at 5v5 in like for honor can get away with it. but 50, 100+ man battles, and latency, lag and just everyone clusterfucking on top of each other with aoe, tends to throw all that skill and timing out the window. So, good luck new world.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
so the road to getting the best gear in this game is going to be the crafting system and not raids? does anyone know? thats make or break it for me i cant stand crafting like archage and other games
I havent seen any raid gear to compare to the orange/purple tier crafted. I dont think NW is going to be a raid heavy game, so probably a mix and match system? But tbh, the mats for that crafted gear dont exactly look like theyre coming from just happening upon a node in a lvl 60 zone, either. The corrupted/defiler gear is pretty awesome if you can find the stats/perks you're looking for. Plus it looks a hell of a lot better imo.

The thing thats pissing me off right now is that Im going to have to move a full 1500 storage depot over to another town thats actually receiving upgrades on town functions. But theyre all so varied in whats upgraded and not. Marauders are eating dick right now on Barzahk and Syndicate is owning shit.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So, do they have some kind of comeback system for losing sides, or will every server just end up 95% one faction because everyone chooses the one with the most/developed regions?

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Can you just bind at your destination, load your entire storage onto your dude and then drown yourself?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can you just bind at your destination, load your entire storage onto your dude and then drown yourself?

Possibly? Not sure if you can carry your entire storage and still move?

iirc if your faction owns both territories you can grab things from storage using the other towns storage. thus moves things that way. I know if you are encumbered you pay an additional cost of azoth per encumbrance for fast travel. So moving that way could get expensive.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
So, do they have some kind of comeback system for losing sides, or will every server just end up 95% one faction because everyone chooses the one with the most/developed regions?
This is my biggest worry right now. If a side starts underpopulated it'll struggle which will just end up making more people quit or reroll to the 2nd least populated faction. I imagine at best most servers are going to end up with 2 factions, unless companies get much more significant personal bonuses for owning a settlement so rerolling to try to capture would be worth it.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
This is my biggest worry right now. If a side starts underpopulated it'll struggle which will just end up making more people quit or reroll to the 2nd least populated faction. I imagine at best most servers are going to end up with 2 factions, unless companies get much more significant personal bonuses for owning a settlement so rerolling to try to capture would be worth it.
If it's anything like DAoC, the 2 "smaller" factions usually team up all the time to fuck the top faction. It worked well enough for DAoC and that was in a time before things like limiting character creation, EXP bonuses for rolling certain factions, etc. Now that games have all those tools as well, I imagine it will be even better.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If it's anything like DAoC, the 2 "smaller" factions usually team up all the time to fuck the top faction. It worked well enough for DAoC and that was in a time before things like limiting character creation, EXP bonuses for rolling certain factions, etc. Now that games have all those tools as well, I imagine it will be even better.

On the flip side, these days you have servers with streamers who will all bandwagon into the same faction as the streamer.

Faction balance is the one thing I am worried about for this game. I wouldn't leave it in the hands of players. Players have shown they are lemmings and will all pile into the same thing then complain about the problems that come from that.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
On the flip side, these days you have servers with streamers who will all bandwagon into the same faction as the streamer.

Faction balance is the one thing I am worried about for this game. I wouldn't leave it in the hands of players. Players have shown they are lemmings and will all pile into the same thing then complain about the problems that come from that.
Players are definitely the worst part of an MMO

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
I mean, sortof. Great vid. although, theres a reason massively multiplayer online games don't usually use time sensitive combat... fighting games capped at 5v5 in like for honor can get away with it. but 50, 100+ man battles, and latency, lag and just everyone clusterfucking on top of each other with aoe, tends to throw all that skill and timing out the window. So, good luck new world.
Tech is kind of getting pretty close to the possibility of a game like this tho so it's kind of cool that it's at least being attempted. Probably won't work well enough on the large scale side but small scale PvP should still be solid enough it seems.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

Again, only if the devs don't employ the myriad of tools at their disposal now to limit "bandwagoning" - stopping character creation for a certain faction, exp/loot bonuses for underpopulated factions, etc. And if they don't, that's on the devs.

Argarth

On the verandah

That video was really interesting. Been watching Shroud play this today, and he just finished the first dungeon. Enjoyed watching, given that he's just really good at games in general, has a brain, and has some genuinely interesting discussions about the game while playing. Colour me intrigued. Definitely going to give this a crack when it comes out.

(p.s. don't watch twitch much, but holy shit the ad breaks these days are obnoxious, especially when changing channels)

Last edited:

Stave

Potato del Grande
I preordered to get in beta. Wasn't a fan at first and was going to cancel my preorder. Gave it one more try for an evening and am starting to dig it now. It gives me a RDR2 meets Terraria meets UO in an MMO vibe. RDR2 because of the environment and world. Terraria because it has the gather mats to make better things to gather more mats loop. UO because every skill has its own progression. Im not sold on the setting yet, but even then, it feels fresh and different. Little details like going prone to hide your nameplate really make pvp have a tactical element that is fun. But damn, just seeing hundreds of other players out in the world doing things is such a fresh feeling which is sad that thats the case when it comes to mmos. The world does feel alive. And at first it was annoying not knowing where to find shit, because I'm so accustomed to mmos holding my hand. So once I did find a bunch of iron ore veins or a ton of hemp plants, I felt like a damn king. Small victories like that are fun and not really there on other mmos now days. For $40 I think I'll keep my preorder and give it a serious go. Just want launch to happen now as I dont want to invest a ton of time into a character thats going to be wiped soon.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
The dungeon Asmon did on his 2nd stream last night looked really sick. I don't know how these long, intricate dungeons will feel the 15th time you do them though. If this game was coming out in a year I'd be super excited.

Btw why did they not go with the obvious Barber class that is a stealth Rogue/Healer? God that would have been so cool/unique and fit the setting perfectly.

ismaris

Silver Knight of the Realm
Honestly, I think the criticism of this game is somewhat over the top. I understand the PvP combat isn't balanced and the whole just being able to run away at any time is busted, but for what it is, I think the game is solid. A lot of great systems related to crafting and siege PvP, and actually a lot of polish on things like the UI. The ambient audio is just insane. You can hear tree chopping/mining from other players in a fairly realistic way, and sounds echo off cliffs/mountains. I even enjoy the fucking fishing, like wtf. I played last night until like 3am, and I haven't done that with an MMO since...well it's been awhile. It's nice seeing a big budget take on this genre that really tries for something new.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

According to the comments, they scrapped that system entirely and that's not what New World is anymore. I don't have enough experience or understand really what he was saying to dispute that though (and maybe it's because I haven't PVP'd yet).

I will say his comments about PVE seem true though. I found it a better strategy to just try to mash my way through mobs instead of dodging or blocking.

• 1Worf