New World

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Well I've officially gone about 5 days without logging in at around lvl 40 and just feel no strong desire to slam my d*ck into a wall to 60 when I'm not having much fun. The game to around 40ish was awesome, but the lack of interesting ways to level, mob diversity, fetch quests taking you entirely too far across the map etc just killed the fun for me. For those that love to grind and craft etc, bully for you, this may be the greatest MMO of all time. I can't imagine the pleb army that swarmed the game the first few days will stick around either, so the idea of server transfers is hilarious to me. Within a few weeks they'll need to merge some servers I reckon.

All that said, it was $40 and EASILY worth that. Got a ton of hours out of this and if they ever come back in and fix the stuff that clearly wasn't tested and smooth out the leveling process (or give you a reason to actually ding 60) I'll happily come back and keep going.

My two biggest take away's are this - Amazon nailed the engine (it's superb, and works terrific in an MMO setting) and they nailed the sound design (some of the directional sound is on par with anything the latest and greatest FPS games are doing - in an MMO it's exquisite). The entire game almost feels like a showcase for the engine - it's that good. Now the quest design team....

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
OK, I still like the game but let me say this: This is some of the worst quest design in any MMO I have ever played. Visiting the same area to get different drops from the same mobs? Check. Visiting three different similarly named locations for the Azoth staff, all within a few meters of each other? Check! Has to be done in the exact right order, forget if you have just done all the same stuff. Check. I finally run the Amirine Excavation, only to find out the mob I was looking for to make the head piece for the staff of Ra isn't there, nope, I didn't read the quest text closely enough: He is in the Amirine Temple, Not Amirine Excavation, its another location just over the way, the number of which is three; three is the number of locations, not two nor four. But guess where the next piece is, though? In the Excavation, so back down to looking for a group I went. Then back to the fisherman, then back to yet another temple, then back to the fisherman again. I think in toto this quest line, which in fairness is central to the main story, is 5 or 6 trips back from various locations to the fisherman, who isn't quite what he seems. Probably more, so much they put a fast travel shrine right outside the man's fishing pier and house. After this the story seems to move from his house, so you maybe don't visit him at THIS location any more. Yet.

Another quest giver, in Brightwood, IIRC, was trying to back in the good graces of the Angry Earth, sent me 4 times into Angry Earth locations, back and forth, half a zone trek away in Brightwood, when the destinations were all right near to each other, to kill mobs I had already been killing for drops (one quest has you chopping young trees in the amazing cave but the spawn rate forces multiple fights with mobs you have to battle to get into the cave). These caves or caverns or whatever the hell they were finally calling them were all fantastic, beautiful, well designed locations, to kill mobs for a faction with which he was supposedly trying to mend fences. Then at the end, he offers me an elite quest to kill the head dude he had a falling out with. Also in an amazing locale with the giant Azoth Oak that has been seen the trailer. Double-U-TEE-EFF. Stop making me run back and forth. you miserable fucks.

In Cutlass Keys, a man has lost track of his wife: Well, the investigation will only take 4 trips to 2 locations, but hey, TWO locations this time. They added a second because this part of the map must not get used very much.

A Brightwood artist, Master Wolcott, wants to paint waterfalls? Guess how many. Three sets of three. Where are they? Who gives a shit, cut your ear off and run, you miserable piece of shit, I am the one giving the XP.

When people ask why Companies are exclusively running town boards, you will know why.

Yes. All of these were maddening. The Angry Earth one especially. That was the first time I was like, are you fing serious with this. Just hit 40 yesterday myself.

I'm actually having a hard time latching on to any specific build. I've messed with Spear / Bow which was fun initially but then went for Fire Staff / Ice Gauntlet. Being a mage sucks initially but you can really blow shit up as you get into the 30s / flesh out your skill points. That said it feels like way more work compared to any melee setup. Spent the weekend messing with GA/WH but that shit just felt boring. Hatchet feels face roll easy and I don't want to tank so sword and shield seems silly. At least solo musket feels pretty worthless. Healing in this game does not look fun, not that I'm inclined to heal anyway. Did I cover every weapon? FML.

I think I'll give rapier and bow a chance tonight. If I can't find a play style to get into I'll probably drop the game for a while which is too bad because I actually enjoy the world, graphics, sound, and even the basic questing. I'm cool with kill shit and search chests. All the back and forth is irritating though for sure.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My original goal was to get 100 hours out of it. I'm at 130. And I'll likely play for a bit longer. So I'd say it was worthwhile.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Well I've officially gone about 5 days without logging in at around lvl 40 and just feel no strong desire to slam my d*ck into a wall to 60 when I'm not having much fun. The game to around 40ish was awesome, but the lack of interesting ways to level, mob diversity, fetch quests taking you entirely too far across the map etc just killed the fun for me. For those that love to grind and craft etc, bully for you, this may be the greatest MMO of all time. I can't imagine the pleb army that swarmed the game the first few days will stick around either, so the idea of server transfers is hilarious to me. Within a few weeks they'll need to merge some servers I reckon.

All that said, it was $40 and EASILY worth that. Got a ton of hours out of this and if they ever come back in and fix the stuff that clearly wasn't tested and smooth out the leveling process (or give you a reason to actually ding 60) I'll happily come back and keep going.

My two biggest take away's are this - Amazon nailed the engine (it's superb, and works terrific in an MMO setting) and they nailed the sound design (some of the directional sound is on par with anything the latest and greatest FPS games are doing - in an MMO it's exquisite). The entire game almost feels like a showcase for the engine - it's that good. Now the quest design team....
I've lost a lot of interest due to the questing, too. A loot system like Diablo or Borderlands would have solved the boredom. Crafting to support some kind of building system would have solved the boredom. Level-bracket PVP would have (probably) solved the boredom.

I'll probably keep logging in to fuck about for 45 minutes when I'm really bored, but not really excited about doing anything in the game. I turned it off a few times this weekend to watch a few episodes of Narcos that I've already seen twice.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I want to hit 60 and get the gear. At that point I feel like I can hold off until they get some good content in. I figure I might as well be setup for when they do, even if it is a year away. I might also get all weapon skills to 10+ just so I can always switch around as I crave.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
I've lost a lot of interest due to the questing, too. A loot system like Diablo or Borderlands would have solved the boredom. Crafting to support some kind of building system would have solved the boredom. Level-bracket PVP would have (probably) solved the boredom.

I'll probably keep logging in to fuck about for 45 minutes when I'm really bored, but not really excited about doing anything in the game. I turned it off a few times this weekend to watch a few episodes of Narcos that I've already seen twice.

There's so much empty space in the world and they already have a rudimentary building system with campfires and housing, so it kind of feels like a lost opportunity to not allow for some kind of building of structures/towns out in the open world. Then again, game not being fully PvP kind of kills the point of doing so, I suppose...

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Lol they doubled the cost of teleporting to towns as a nerf to town boards. Yeah I have very little faith in their decisions going forward based on what we've seen so far.

• 3WTF
  • 1Worf
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 5 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I'm definitely going to finish capping trade skills, hit 60 and shelve the game which will have netted me 250-300ish hours so no complaints.

Fortunately haven't had any issues with leveling process as the whole gather/refine/craft thing pumps out levels and smooths out the lack of late game content. I've never done a single town board quest and still have like 8 territories worth of quests to complete and I'm 48 now I believe.

I think not having full PVP servers was an absolute huge mistake and/or adding map territories that require flagging to be in. The world feels boringly safe at all times with <1% of the population being red. Fighting wars often is not my cup of tea since it's basically just more mediocre PVE quests for a potential lag fest.

Plenty of shit to play for the next half year+ so hopefully they figure something out.

• 2Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Sounds like the honeymoon phase is wearing off and people are realizing this is just a shallow online game and not an MMO worth playing for years. :emoji_thinking:

I guess I am glad I held off on this one, maybe Ashes can fill the void, but really I am hoping RIOT can produce something magical. I am still not going to do FF14 expac.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Why do you need something to play for years? Can't you enjoy a fucking game for a month or two? I swear you fucking mmo clowns need this game to like be your life for the next 10 yrs or else its dogshit.

IMO best mmorpg to come out since 2004.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why do you need something to play for years? Can't you enjoy a fucking game for a month or two? I swear you fucking mmo clowns need this game to like be your life for the next 10 yrs or else its dogshit.

IMO best mmorpg to come out since 2004.

Yah huge innovations like 3 action buttons per weapon and.... crafting... gathering for hours at a time. Key takes a full day to make for a dungeon. No mounts... JUST RUN.

What a fucking joke. This is a good MMO to you? Just shows how low the bar has gotten.

• 3Pathetic
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 3 users

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
seems like even the most fervent believers are already talking about this one in the past tense.
too bad

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
lol half of you play 15 year old games, please gtfo two weeks after release, what a bunch of salty clowns.

most aren't max level and probably havent done the invasions or real wars etc. If you are then that means you've played an EASY 150hrs+ in <14days. must be a terrible game.

it's OK if you don't want to play or hit max after trying it, but everyone just wants to say some dumb shit without experiencing it

Chimney Chimney definitely needed an always-flagged or normal full PVP server. atleast some zones. i mean it's a "PVP" game. dumb

• 1Like
  • 1Salty

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Game definitely has some issues, but it's two weeks in.

And as said, before this came out the consensus seemed to be everyone hoping to get 100 hours or a month out of it. Seems like a success in that.

I doubt anyone's really done the end game dungeons yet. There's still content, it's just grindy. Shit, not even 1/4 of EQ grind though.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yah huge innovations like 3 action buttons per weapon and.... crafting... gathering for hours at a time. Key takes a full day to make for a dungeon. No mounts... JUST RUN.

What a fucking joke. This is a good MMO to you? Just shows how low the bar has gotten.
Never said innovative, a game does not need to be innovative to be fun.

• 1Like

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Game would be a better game if there were pvp servers or they kept forced pvp. Not for me, but a better game for the people who will still be playing in a month.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Most people complaining about dungeons/late pve content are people who've maybe done Amrine only. The existing content is solid and challenging there is just not enough of it.

Hur dur 3 button combat is a dumb af take. Being good at PVP is high skill cap even with 6 abilities. Playing piano with 10-50 buttons is and will always be retarded in any MMO as most abilities are the same shit dressed differently and are useless.

Again if you are a gamer and MMO enjoyer and skipped this game you're doing yourself a disservice especially if you're pretending this launch is somehow worse than every single MMO (and I've played like 99% of them) that was a big steaming dog turd on launch and for months/years later. You won't be paying a monthly to log in for your 10 hours a month raid logging or collecting pointless achievements again and that's a great thing.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
aZsqeDt.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think doing a combination of everything is how to level. If you just do quests, you run out. I still have many quests left and I am 53. The Board Missions help as long as you are collecting material as you go. Some things I have learned.

I guess I need to do "some" fishing, as I see Fish Oil, Salmon ect. constantly being offered on the boards. So that is my weakness.
I keep Wolf and Buffalo kill missions as I use them to farm leather anyways.
I keep all potions in my bank(You have to take them out of the bank when completing those missions) as I get these from monsters/chests.
There is certainly a value/xp tradeoff that at times seems not worth it, ...unless you could care less about actually crafting. Right now, I do not so much.
Armor/weapon Missions are the $$$$. They both build up crafting skill and are usually very easy to complete.