New World

Cybsled

I still play the game. I had a really active guild until all the sweat lords xfered to Marammas and took over the server and we lost our towns and couldn’t get war declarations. Now we’ve fractured, with a good chunk going to Orofena or Castle of Steel

I still log in mostly for the people - but if people I like stop logging in, I’d probably quit

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Season 2 Lol GIF by Friends

Who said this was going to be what is should have been in about 1 year???

They finally removed dungeon keys. This game might actually be worth retrying after this patch now that I can run dungeons without having to give a shit about farming a key.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Season 2 Lol GIF by Friends

Who said this was going to be what is should have been in about 1 year???

They finally removed dungeon keys. This game might actually be worth retrying after this patch now that I can run dungeons without having to give a shit about farming a key.
Yeah pretty generous too. 15 normal dungeons per day and 20 of the buffed ones per week. Thats 125 dungeons you can run per week.

Cybsled

They should have done this months ago - the “buy dungeon spot” shit was an immediate turnoff for most of the Playerbase

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone want to take bets on how much longer its going to take for them to cave and introduce the mounts that are already in the game files? I think this dev stream was the biggest Ive seen them walk back their retarded boomer ass "Hard stances."

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its good enough for me to perhaps retry the game once they introduce the changes. I will be curious to see all the other changes they have done.

Cybsled

Anyone want to take bets on how much longer its going to take for them to cave and introduce the mounts that are already in the game files? I think this dev stream was the biggest Ive seen them walk back their retarded boomer ass "Hard stances."

Mounts are less of an concern now with the fast travel changes and the addition of new teleport shrines

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ship has sailed for me. All my buds have long quit and I aint about to make new ones in a dead ass game lol.

• 1Like

TairyGreene

Silver Knight of the Realm
The concept for this game was fucking stupid to begin with. Who dreams about being able to roleplay mid 17th century / age of exploration/ colonial America whatever the fuck it's supposed to be? Such a bizarre idea on which to spend hundreds of millions of dollars.

Sick conquistador hat and pantaloons, bro!

That's why I couldn't even bring myself to spend the $40 to try it.

Cybsled

The basic lore is basically this is some lost continent that used to have some type of ancient, powerful civilization on it. There is some resource called Azoth that functionally makes everything immortal/undead. So you've got Conquistador shit, but then you've also got Colonial times outfits as well. The premise essentially lets them dump whatever time period they want into the game and explain it away as "they visited the island at some point and the island is essentially time lost". Like the next zone is going to have Ancient Romans and Ancient Egyptians that had previously visited the island.

The core gameplay is pretty good - action combat limited to 3 abilities (that you can swap out of combat) and skill trees. Armor load will impact your ability to dodge or have other buffs/debuffs. Like light armor is super mobile, but you've got like no mitigation. If you're a god with using iframes to avoid damage, or kite people, you get the advantage of a big damage and healing buff from light. Heavy you can't dodge for shit for the most part, but you can be quite tanky with the right loadout (although they recently added a -30% healing debuff if you are in heavy to avoid the tankadin builds that were essentially immortal). It is also varied enough that people keep discovering new metas, although balance usually makes certain metas overall better. Like the Schizo meta (sword&shield + blunderbuss) or S+S&Hatchet is a really powerful stunlock build you can do - basically think stunlock rogue from vanilla WoW. It's cheap as fuck in 1v1, but in group combat it isn't so hot. You essentially have to blow your entire cooldown load on a single target. So in wars all it is really good for is trying to murder backline healers before anyone notices you.

The bones of the game are actually really good. Where they failed is they listened to the "Vanilla EQ1 was the best MMO ever!!!!1!!!" crowd and decided that 20 year old game mechanics that no one likes anymore were a good idea. Long grinds, punishing deaths, needing to fucking run everywhere. They also leaned too hard into giving players a lot of agency in towns - you essentially have guilds using towns as their personal piggybank to line their own pockets, while only marginally managing the town. This has also caused massive inflation in item prices. Like the gold cap for a player is 500k, and people sell shit for more all the time.

They've taken a lot of actions to roll back or soften some of the dumb ideas (like dungeon orbs), but they will need to invest a lot more in the game before people come back. Their recent actions have somewhat stabilized the game - the player bleed isn't as pronounced as it was. But they have a really long climb ahead of them to even get a decent fraction of what they used to have back.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

The basic lore is basically this is some lost continent that used to have some type of ancient, powerful civilization on it. There is some resource called Azoth that functionally makes everything immortal/undead. So you've got Conquistador shit, but then you've also got Colonial times outfits as well. The premise essentially lets them dump whatever time period they want into the game and explain it away as "they visited the island at some point and the island is essentially time lost". Like the next zone is going to have Ancient Romans and Ancient Egyptians that had previously visited the island.

The core gameplay is pretty good - action combat limited to 3 abilities (that you can swap out of combat) and skill trees. Armor load will impact your ability to dodge or have other buffs/debuffs. Like light armor is super mobile, but you've got like no mitigation. If you're a god with using iframes to avoid damage, or kite people, you get the advantage of a big damage and healing buff from light. Heavy you can't dodge for shit for the most part, but you can be quite tanky with the right loadout (although they recently added a -30% healing debuff if you are in heavy to avoid the tankadin builds that were essentially immortal). It is also varied enough that people keep discovering new metas, although balance usually makes certain metas overall better. Like the Schizo meta (sword&shield + blunderbuss) or S+S&Hatchet is a really powerful stunlock build you can do - basically think stunlock rogue from vanilla WoW. It's cheap as fuck in 1v1, but in group combat it isn't so hot. You essentially have to blow your entire cooldown load on a single target. So in wars all it is really good for is trying to murder backline healers before anyone notices you.

The bones of the game are actually really good. Where they failed is they listened to the "Vanilla EQ1 was the best MMO ever!!!!1!!!" crowd and decided that 20 year old game mechanics that no one likes anymore were a good idea. Long grinds, punishing deaths, needing to fucking run everywhere. They also leaned too hard into giving players a lot of agency in towns - you essentially have guilds using towns as their personal piggybank to line their own pockets, while only marginally managing the town. This has also caused massive inflation in item prices. Like the gold cap for a player is 500k, and people sell shit for more all the time.

They've taken a lot of actions to roll back or soften some of the dumb ideas (like dungeon orbs), but they will need to invest a lot more in the game before people come back. Their recent actions have somewhat stabilized the game - the player bleed isn't as pronounced as it was. But they have a really long climb ahead of them to even get a decent fraction of what they used to have back.
I keep saying that I'm going to reinstall it when I see the Roman/Egyptian shit coming out. I think the game will be in a much better state by then. I just hope I actually enjoy getting up to whatever item level is out at that point. I also dont think I'll go back to tanking - shit is stressful as fuck getting pushed all over the place, dodging, blocking, etc. all at the same time, while also trying to watch for all the different boss mechanics and juggle what heals, buffs, potions etc. I get/use.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
reddit link (linking is being weird)

So you can shield bash into a player and plop a tent down on top of them while they are stunned. Then they are stuck and cant move so you can finish the kill. Gah' damn lol

Man, even the subreddit is dying. I remember having more fun there than in game. I loved patch day, the threads and videos of whatever code they broke never got old.

So they're finally removing dungeon key requirements? I fucking hated all the white knights defending that garbage. Looks like they were wrong yet again!

• 1Like

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I said these months ago when the game first came out. Lots of the little annoying things adding up together makes me logoff and never bother to come back:

Fast travel stone + no mount: who the fuck think these systems are good for an MMO? It discourages meeting up and being social. Even EQ has teleport spells ffs.
No central market: Again, who the fuck think this is a good eco system for an MMO?
Bank/storage + weight system: Dude, even Skyrim offers a less pain in the ass experience. I login to a game to have fun, not going to the gym to lift weight.
Dungeon stone: Again, a very anti-MMO design, It makes player interact LESS with each others as a result.

It really feels like these design choices are coming from people who don't know what MMO is.
Just another day quoting myself from months ago...

Xerge

<Donor>
I'll definitely check the next patch out tbh. Like of others have said they need a massive content drop plus solid systems in place to get ppl to trickle back in, all they're doing is playing catch up to where the game ought to be. They are getting there tho

Daidraco

Just another day quoting myself from months ago...
For a game where they want a lot of PVP presence, I have never understood why they want the 1-60 experience to be dragged out so much. I keep hearing everyone say that a "mount" wont change much, but I completely disagree. A mount will fix/alleviate the symptom of that dragged out 1-60 experience, which they will very likely never change/address. They seem to be having too much micro-success with the "HERP DERP +100% EXP THIS WEEKEND!"

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I remember I was in a "hardcore" guild at first and one of their core members kept arguing with me about no-mount means hardcore. I left the guild faster than the speed of light.