New World

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's really smooth actually? When did you play, at release? I don't think you were playing right if you played in the last few years and found the combat clunky. There is a huge skill ceiling, moreso than in any other MMORPG I've ever played. So I guess if you don't understand how the combat works, maybe? But there are light attack weaving, bar swapping and animation cancelling that all go into it. It's instantly responsive. Pretty sure you either suck or played it ages ago.

Have to agree with Shaky here. ESO combat may have a high skill ceiling but the actual movement of your character in combat, or just traveling around the world, is very "clunky". It just feels off. But I am judging that based on playing games like GW2 and BDO which have some of the best feeling movement and action of any mmo. Most mmo's are more like ESO.

I still log in to ESO, but just for dailies atm. So haven't experienced this supposed movement revamp during combat. But running around doesn't feel any better.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The only thing I dont like about BDO is the dumb RNG bullshit on gear enhacing. That must be the most retarded aspect of any mmorpg I ever played.
Yeah, the gear enhancement system is awful because you can potentially feel like you're never making progress. I'm 100% fine with Korean grinders the older I get. In some aspects, I love the idea of having to spend hundreds of hours grinding for a single item, level, etc. as long as I feel like I'm making "progress", however slowly that may be. But, with BDO's system, you can take YEARS and potentially never get an item if you get RNG fucked.

That's why I ignore it and just farm the money to buy the gear. But, there's certain things you can't buy like treasure items, T10 mounts, etc. BDO's largest problem currently is that they have a lot of really bad/stupid mechanics in the game and rather than fix them, they usually sell you the solution. Recently, they've even started CREATING problems so they can sell you a solution.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, the gear enhancement system is awful because you can potentially feel like you're never making progress. I'm 100% fine with Korean grinders the older I get. In some aspects, I love the idea of having to spend hundreds of hours grinding for a single item, level, etc. as long as I feel like I'm making "progress", however slowly that may be. But, with BDO's system, you can take YEARS and potentially never get an item if you get RNG fucked.

That's why I ignore it and just farm the money to buy the gear. But, there's certain things you can't buy like treasure items, T10 mounts, etc. BDO's largest problem currently is that they have a lot of really bad/stupid mechanics in the game and rather than fix them, they usually sell you the solution. Recently, they've even started CREATING problems so they can sell you a solution.
BDO sucks because not only can you not make "progress" you can actually go backwards. That's why I quit. It's one thing to spend dozens of hours farming so you can attempt an enhancement. But if you fail, you end up going backwards and losing a level. And that's more often than not. So I just eventually said fuck this. I'm not spending all this time to lose gear score.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
BDO sucks because not only can you not make "progress" you can actually go backwards. That's why I quit. It's one thing to spend dozens of hours farming so you can attempt an enhancement. But if you fail, you end up going backwards and losing a level. And that's more often than not. So I just eventually said fuck this. I'm not spending all this time to lose gear score.
Well, you should NEVER be enhancing gear that you're currently using (another flaw of the system), but Cron stones helped a lot in that regard. A big issue though is that a lot of the delivery methods of cron stones are locked behind unlock codes that they don't necessarily make "easy" to find, limited events, etc. OR! We can sell you the solution in the form of buying costumes and melting them. I mostly agree with you though.

All that aside, I'd still be on the BDO train if it weren't for the fact that they seem to be doing their best to invalidate gear/progress. And while I agree that you can't expect players to farm 4 years worth of gear, the methods they keep adding are making it so that there's VERY little incentive to progress your gear. And at the Heidel Ball they just announced that there was going to be "PvP gear" coming soon. Way to kill any reason for me to gear up! If you create "PvP gear", what content is left? That's pretty much the only reason to push gear in the first place, is so you can be more equal in PvP. There aren't any dungeons yet and the one they are adding has the same gear you can get by grinding solo, just named differently.

So, with no real reason to progress, I'm finding it extremely difficult to motivate myself to login. I don't even really login for daily cooking turn-ins, rewards, etc. now. I'm just kind of in a holding pattern until Lost Ark, so I fired up EQ for a while.

Amod Amod - Can we get this moved to the BDO thread please?

Xerge

<Donor>
So glad I can actively enjoy more than one game. Damn I feel like a god some times compared to the peasants.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Well, you should NEVER be enhancing gear that you're currently using (another flaw of the system), but Cron stones helped a lot in that regard. A big issue though is that a lot of the delivery methods of cron stones are locked behind unlock codes that they don't necessarily make "easy" to find, limited events, etc. OR! We can sell you the solution in the form of buying costumes and melting them. I mostly agree with you though.

All that aside, I'd still be on the BDO train if it weren't for the fact that they seem to be doing their best to invalidate gear/progress. And while I agree that you can't expect players to farm 4 years worth of gear, the methods they keep adding are making it so that there's VERY little incentive to progress your gear. And at the Heidel Ball they just announced that there was going to be "PvP gear" coming soon. Way to kill any reason for me to gear up! If you create "PvP gear", what content is left? That's pretty much the only reason to push gear in the first place, is so you can be more equal in PvP. There aren't any dungeons yet and the one they are adding has the same gear you can get by grinding solo, just named differently.

So, with no real reason to progress, I'm finding it extremely difficult to motivate myself to login. I don't even really login for daily cooking turn-ins, rewards, etc. now. I'm just kind of in a holding pattern until Lost Ark, so I fired up EQ for a while.

Amod Amod - Can we get this moved to the BDO thread please?

I don't know where to start here. If you guys want to continue this discussion point me at a good starting point at I'll move it. If you want to discuss BDO in comparison to NW, that's a valid discussion here.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I don't know where to start here. If you guys want to continue this discussion point me at a good starting point at I'll move it. If you want to discuss BDO in comparison to NW, that's a valid discussion here.
I'd agree if it's a BDO vs. NW thing, but it was just a suggestion that a few posts might need moved to the BDO thread, as it seems more of a "bdo focused" discussion.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'd agree if it's a BDO vs. NW thing, but it was just a suggestion that a few posts might need moved to the BDO thread, as it seems more of a "bdo focused" discussion.

Hence my offer to move should you guys want to continue that discussion. I'm content to leave it be if you guys aren't going to continue or are going to bring it back around to NW.

• 1Truth!

Xevy

Log Wizard
Will say one of the complaints I have, which is VERY rare for me to complain about as I don't usually give a shit, is their character customization/armor graphics. They're really bad. I get it that they're trying to do a American Fiction type thing, but fuck so much of it is plain and ugly. The weapons aren't too bad and some of the named and legendary ones look pretty cool, but the armor sets are atrocious. I did laugh though at one of the faction rep armor sets helms for light armor was literally a black wig. Like a Whig wig. My dude was running around fire blasting shit with my Rick James do' on.

The graphics for the game are actually pretty good. The environment turned up looks great from afar and the skills look pretty decent and they've been updating skill graphics each patch. I'm actually concerned they're putting so much detail/polish in them that big PVP battles are going to fucking bog shit machines which all the FX going on now.

So I think a lot of people are concerned about the lack of abilities on bars, but I'm not sure many have played it in depth to a higher weapon level. I think a lot of games now have abilities doing 90-100% of damage in situations, but this game isn't quite that. It's more like 75% or maybe even 50% depending on what you're using.

First, for certain melee weapons you're actually basic attacking quite a bit and the abilities are for CC, damage stacking, buffing, etc. You're not just 1-2-3-1-2-1-2-3 like most games. For instance the staffs light and heavy attacks are pretty decent and have talents to make them very helpful. So you're basically using abilities AS they are best used, like a MOBA or something.

Secondly, their talent systems are heavily CD based currently. So you get a lot of cooldown reduction (most tied to in-weapon, but SOME global still exists) for you abilities. So playing a lvl 7/20 weapon is going to feel slower and clunkier than 15/20 which may have up to 50% more CD reduction on all skills. There's several weapons where if you chain light, heavy, and abilities in the right order you basically reset constantly. And melee weapons don't use any resources so you just go nuts. Ranged weapons have ammo or mana so it's a bit more restrained, but say a rapier or spear can just go hog wild. Your stamina isn't a resource for damage, it's purely for defensive purposes though there are talents that may make you do more damage at lower/higher stamina. Also a few weapon talents generate stamina/mana on hits.

So don't see 6 abilities and think "oh man, that's not enough!" At high level you'll have something like 65% uptime on 4/6 abilities. It's not a use all abilities for X weapon, switch then use Y, then switch back type of system. It's more of a use X1,X2, Use Y1, Y3, X3, X1, Y2, Y1 with light and heavy basic attacks in between.

Don't read this and think it's the most complicated system in the world, because it isn't, but it's somewhere between GW2 and a fighter for combat. I didn't PVP much but I watched high levels duel and it was pretty nuts. They'd be like 4-5 minute duels face to face with limited kiting. That said in mass PVP who the FUCK knows what's going to happen. You may just have 20/50 people throwing fireballs on everyone and obliterating them, but I think they're somewhat aware of this and have been tuning down the big boi damage on the regular.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Will say one of the complaints I have, which is VERY rare for me to complain about as I don't usually give a shit, is their character customization/armor graphics. They're really bad. I get it that they're trying to do a American Fiction type thing, but fuck so much of it is plain and ugly. The weapons aren't too bad and some of the named and legendary ones look pretty cool, but the armor sets are atrocious. I did laugh though at one of the faction rep armor sets helms for light armor was literally a black wig. Like a Whig wig. My dude was running around fire blasting shit with my Rick James do' on.
Expect to see more of this in the future, especially with MMOs. It's an easy way to create a problem (shitty customization, armor, etc.) that you can sell a solution for. And the bonus is that it doesn't get people frothing at the mouth about "pay 2 win", because it's technically all just cosmetic.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I'd be ok if Amazon outsourced their outfit design team to China, if that is the best they can do. Amazingly bad.
Wow that was intensely mediocre. Hopefully they don't want to tip their hand but sweet mother. I think Kirun may be right. Saving it for the cash shop seems so crass; I would think they would show that stuff off now as well, though. This was just super plain and the whole runway conceit was ill-informed.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
If that's mid level gear, I care less. End game? They better call South Korea.

• 1Worf

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Invites just went out! I got one!

IUAJ.gif

• 7Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 9 users