New World

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
ESO was the most generic and bland MMO I've ever played. The combat is clunky as hell.
It's really smooth actually? When did you play, at release? I don't think you were playing right if you played in the last few years and found the combat clunky. There is a huge skill ceiling, moreso than in any other MMORPG I've ever played. So I guess if you don't understand how the combat works, maybe? But there are light attack weaving, bar swapping and animation cancelling that all go into it. It's instantly responsive. Pretty sure you either suck or played it ages ago.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
ESO was the most generic and bland MMO I've ever played. The combat is clunky as hell.
Just like FFXIV - you have to get to the meat of the system. Could it be better? Most definitely. But ESO has a very, very, steep learning curve. I could say a number of reasons why people dont like the system, but when you have it at your finger tips and you see someone else double your DPS... it drives you to explore it. Much less, ESO had an abysmal launch, just like FFXIV.

• 1Solidarity

ShakyJake

<Donor>
It's really smooth actually? When did you play, at release? I don't think you were playing right if you played in the last few years and found the combat clunky. There is a huge skill ceiling, moreso than in any other MMORPG I've ever played. So I guess if you don't understand how the combat works, maybe? But there are light attack weaving, bar swapping and animation cancelling that all go into it. It's instantly responsive. Pretty sure you either suck or played it ages ago.
I played it about a year ago (to CP160), so unless they've had a massive overhaul of the combat system I cannot fathom how you would consider it "smooth". Although I'm speaking mostly to the graphics, animation, and feel of the combat. On that level the game is incredibly amateurish. If you don't care about that and just want to mash buttons in some kind of order to pump out numbers then, sure, it may very well be "smooth".

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xerge

<Donor>
I played it about a year ago (to CP160), so unless they've had a massive overhaul of the combat system I cannot fathom how you would consider it "smooth". Although I'm speaking mostly to the graphics, animation, and feel of the combat. On that level the game is incredibly amateurish. If you don't care about that and just want to mash buttons in some kind of order to pump out numbers then, sure, it may very well be "smooth".
ESO has the best feeling combat currently out of the major MMOs; however I don't like to compare combat hotbar play to action play, it's not fair. There's nothing amateurish about ESO's combat, it has several systems that layer on top of each other to produce varied results based upon who's driving.

It is almost impossible to do 100,000 damage per second without clipping animations in a 1 second global cooldown game. Something isn't amateurish just because you're not good at it imo.

edit: Opinions are opinions I guess. To clarify I will still shit on ESO's combat for being boring looking and I wish there were more options for different types of combat. I also don't think it's perfect either.

Last edited:

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
New World looks like a new GuildWars to me, i didnt like the very few combat abilities in that and i didnt care much for it in the last NW beta - the game world looks cool but combat just seems too simplified to me. Perhaps if there was more abilities youre able to use per weapon at a time but the combat itself is just a huge turn off to me.

Xerge

<Donor>
Experiencing their combat 2.0 will make or break New World in a month - i'm personally banking on the replayable gameplay loops to hold it down. Territory control, declaring wars, crafting/economy, and some frequent dungeon runs should be enough. Summer will be plenty busy anyway.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Combat revamp for the last 6-10 months has made combat feel way, way better. Animations are very smooth and outside some small oddities like the bow firing to the left of the reticle, shit is very good. I haven't participated in mass pvp, but I've been in areas with 10-20 people and everything was still very fluid. Honestly each update just makes this more and more like most other MMO's, but that's not a bad thing. The initial idea was pretty far out and they'd basically have to redesign the game and pioneer everything. Now they're kinda just copying what works and throwing in what people want in most MMOs. GW2 is definitely a good comparison except with gear actually mattering which was always the problem I had with GW2.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Just like FFXIV - you have to get to the meat of the system. Could it be better? Most definitely. But ESO has a very, very, steep learning curve. I could say a number of reasons why people dont like the system, but when you have it at your finger tips and you see someone else double your DPS... it drives you to explore it. Much less, ESO had an abysmal launch, just like FFXIV.
This exactly. You have the same gear as someone else, and you think you use the same rotation, you're using all the abilities they are, and yet they have literally double or MORE your dps and you're like WOW. What is happening here? And you learn how to get better. It's crazy how high the skill ceiling is, and I really like that. And it's not like you can't get by not learning all the extras, you don't need to, but it feels very rewarding. I remember the first time I cleared Veteran Maelstrom Arena (which is one of the hardest solo content in any MMORPG, for those of you that don't know ESO. which by the way is just an amazing, fun experience with tons of replayability) and then ran and ran and got Flawless Conqueror in under an hour, it was insanely rewarding. Most players won't ever even complete it. I love that depth.

Go watch someone like Fengrush and tell me the combat is clunky. It isn't.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Combat revamp for the last 6-10 months has made combat feel way, way better. Animations are very smooth and outside some small oddities like the bow firing to the left of the reticle, shit is very good. I haven't participated in mass pvp, but I've been in areas with 10-20 people and everything was still very fluid. Honestly each update just makes this more and more like most other MMO's, but that's not a bad thing. The initial idea was pretty far out and they'd basically have to redesign the game and pioneer everything. Now they're kinda just copying what works and throwing in what people want in most MMOs. GW2 is definitely a good comparison except with gear actually mattering which was always the problem I had with GW2.
Well that's hopeful. Good to hear. Did they get rid of that god awful shared cooldown between weapon abilities?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
ESO has the best feeling combat currently out of the major MMOs; however I don't like to compare combat hotbar play to action play, it's not fair. There's nothing amateurish about ESO's combat, it has several systems that layer on top of each other to produce varied results based upon who's driving.

It is almost impossible to do 100,000 damage per second without clipping animations in a 1 second global cooldown game. Something isn't amateurish just because you're not good at it imo.

edit: Opinions are opinions I guess. To clarify I will still shit on ESO's combat for being boring looking and I wish there were more options for different types of combat. I also don't think it's perfect either.
Black desert has best combat by far, makes ESo combat look lik EQ combat lol.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Combat in this game is still super boring and needs a lot more skills. Its hard to even want to play the alpha more because of it.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Black desert has best combat by far, makes ESo combat look lik EQ combat lol.
Yeah, there really isn't a combat system that compares well to BDO. The skill ceiling on that game is nutty. It's miles ahead of pretty much everything in the genre.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of other not so great parts that keep getting worse.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The only thing I dont like about BDO is the dumb RNG bullshit on gear enhacing. That must be the most retarded aspect of any mmorpg I ever played.

• 2Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
BDO combat by far and away blows combat from every other mmo and most action games away. However its not the type of combat i feel a traditional mmo could do so you cant really compare it to the plain cardboard box that is ESO. BDO combat is good enough to make a stand alone action game (Crimson Desert) that id play even if the story blows chunks..

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Combat in this game is still super boring and needs a lot more skills. Its hard to even want to play the alpha more because of it.

This is kind of what i feel the entire game is going to come down to - Combat with so few skills just sounds like a drab - when they had the last beta it just felt so god dam limiting and boring.

• 1Solidarity

Xerge

<Donor>
At least ESO's combat plain box has depth and nuance. Anyone with a little bit of testosterone knows this. Lol.

Xerge

<Donor>
This is kind of what i feel the entire game is going to come down to - Combat with so few skills just sounds like a drab - when they had the last beta it just felt so god dam limiting and boring.
200%. The newer games just aren't hyper focused on their combat systems. Even ashes of creation is clunky atm.