Mad Come On GIF by UEFA
Damn It GIF by memecandy
Damn It Wesley Snipes GIF by IMDb

Congrats to all the invitees.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So far I hate the questing. I don't like the combat. The character animations are bad.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Ice Burn
Reactions: 4 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Questing IS bad. Combat I like, but takes a while to get levels on your weapons to feel complete. Animations are definitely personal preference.

Definitely a game that will be much more palatable playing with a group. Unfortunately finding a million mobs +2 levels of you and grinding them nonstop is better than questing for the most part, or was two patches ago at least.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Questing:

Get me some racoon balls that's about a 10 minute run from here. Get the racoon balls.
Go back over to that same area, and get me some wolverine paws. Get the wolverine paws.
Finally! Get me the mystical BEAR ASSES! From the same spot you just ran back from two times now. Fuck your bear asses!

Combat: Feels floaty as fuck. There's no oomph. The weapon swap thing really needs to go.

The character models: Are definitely missing frames. Everything else is running at 100FPS. Except the character animation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
From what I can remember couple months ago, questing was one of the worst / boring things to do in the game. They were so repetitive and linear, felt like designed by a 3 years old.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Questing:

Get me some racoon balls that's about a 10 minute run from here. Get the racoon balls.
Go back over to that same area, and get me some wolverine paws. Get the wolverine paws.
Finally! Get me the mystical BEAR ASSES! From the same spot you just ran back from two times now. Fuck your bear asses!

Combat: Feels floaty as fuck. There's no oomph. The weapon swap thing really needs to go.

The character models: Are definitely missing frames. Everything else is running at 100FPS. Except the character animation.

I must question the validity of this expert witness mentioning 100FPS as he’s on a G9 with a 6700XT!

Deez Nuts GIF

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That was my comment about that fashion show video they put out. The character models looked like they were at 10fps and everything else normal.

Sounds like that's the actual game. What the fuck?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Questing:

Yelling Germany GIF

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Here is my primary issue with New World:

The design feels Schizophrenic. From a distance, this seems to be built on a core game pillar of territory PvP (ala DAOC), and one would think that the game systems would loop around that, but that's just not how this game has been built.

The content it does have feels like content for contents sake. The PVE has no real purpose. The cosmetic gear has very little variety, and the purpose behind holding territory or waging War is very, very thin (and the penalty for losing a war is too high on the town). I think there was potential here, but it fell short. The crafting, initially, starts off good, but falls off over time. its far more beneficial to grind portals for XP than questing. PVP missions are just a chore and boring....and are only called PVP because you have to be flagged, but to be honest, there is little risk if any at all. The quests are largely fetch/kill, with very little variety.

Things really fall apart at max level. Once you no longer are actively grinding to level, your supply of gear slows greatly, thus repair parts becomes a premium. Be ready to spend hours mindlessly farming useless, old, low level content to get trash to Salvage and re-stock repair parts (or farm mats to make repair kits). Its because of this that greens and blues will sell for much greater on the AH due to max level players wanting to buy it up to salvage...only, Gold has no real purpose or value either. The only people farming gold will be the ones selling it for RMT, but in reality there is no purpose in game for Gold. Resources are too scarce, so most wont sell the good stuff.

As you play, you really just get a sense that there is no cohesion. It's a game that doesn't know what it wants to be...so its just a mish mash of a bunch of ideas and things. Its not Sandbox, its not theme park, its not crafting/survival, its not PVP-centric...its just...a bunch of things thrown in a pot of art and animation with some loot to be had.

Its a half baked MMO that (obviously) pivoted one too many times in design and lacks in creative vision. There is no understanding of what the core game pillars are, and the systems within the game are not well interconnected. Overall, its a bit of a mess.

As for why Amazon is struggling in games. It all comes down to this: They do not understand the customer.

Warren Buffet famously said 'Never invest in a business you cannot understand". Amazons venture into gaming has been one of hubris.

(this comes after a few hundred hours in Alpha. I gave this game a very deep dive)

Last edited:
  • 13Like
Reactions: 12 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Here is my primary issue with New World:

The design feels Schizophrenic. From a distance, this seems to be built on a core game pillar of territory PvP (ala DAOC), and one would think that the game systems would loop around that, but that's just not how this game has been built.

The content it does have feels like content for contents sake. The PVE has no real purpose. The cosmetic gear has very little variety, and the purpose behind holding territory or waging War is very, very thin (and the penalty for losing a war is too high on the town). I think there was potential here, but it fell short. The crafting, initially, starts off good, but falls off over time. its far more beneficial to grind portals for XP than questing. PVP missions are just a chore and boring....and are only called PVP because you have to be flagged, but to be honest, there is little risk if any at all. The quests are largely fetch/kill, with very little variety.

Things really fall apart at max level. Once you no longer are actively grinding to level, your supply of gear slows greatly, thus repair parts becomes a premium. Be ready to spend hours mindlessly farming useless, old, low level content to get trash to Salvage and re-stock repair parts (or farm mats to make repair kits). Its because of this that greens and blues will sell for much greater on the AH due to max level players wanting to buy it up to salvage...only, Gold has no real purpose or value either. The only people farming gold will be the ones selling it for RMT, but in reality there is no purpose in game for Gold. Resources are too scarce, so most wont sell the good stuff.

As you play, you really just get a sense that there is no cohesion. It's a game that doesn't know what it wants to be...so its just a mish mash of a bunch of ideas and things. Its not Sandbox, its not theme park, its not crafting/survival, its not PVP-centric...its just...a bunch of things thrown in a pot of art and animation with some loot to be had.

Its a half baked MMO that (obviously) pivoted one too many times in design and lacks in creative vision. There is no understanding of what the core game pillars are, and the systems within the game are not well interconnected. Overall, its a bit of a mess.

As for why Amazon is struggling in games. It all comes down to this: They do not understand the customer.

Warren Buffet famously said 'Never invest in a business you cannot understand". Amazons venture into gaming has been one of hubris.

(this comes after a few hundred hours in Alpha. I gave this game a very deep dive)

When their engine lead writes a 20 page whitepaper on "how to build an engine on rails bc players get confused by too many options" I'm not surprised when players nope the fuck out after a few hours. I am however still disappointed.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Meh, it just comes down to leadership , who you put in charge and stacking the deck with people that know what they are doing in your favor. Obviously reading your post and others here, they did not do a good job. There is plenty of people that understand the business and there are others that can manage these people. Its not like they have Jeff Bezos in there making games and calling the shots. And a visionary is one thats needed, one that has an idea what the game is, should be and sticking to it.

Its too bad too because Amazon is obviously stacked with cash and resources and could churn out some high budget good shit. Im saying too bad because if this thing falls flat on its ass, the chances of further investment go down.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user